Winter care

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter care

I know it's summer but it's never too early to start planing right? Anyway, I did a search on this topic and came up with a ton of hits but most of the posts centered around salt and the undercarriage. I am a little more interested in how to care for the paint and chrome. I have lived in Arizona for a decade but will be moving to Minnesota very soon. I have never had to contend with winter vehicle care before and would like to know what to expect from those who know. Specifically, how do you or do you wash your truck in temps below zero or in the teens? Do you use the touch free washes in the winter for the undercarriage? Can you and do you prep with a different wax or sealant before winter hits? If you use specific products please list them and the steps you use.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Big Krackers
I know it's summer but it's never too early to start planing right? Anyway, I did a search on this topic and came up with a ton of hits but most of the posts centered around salt and the undercarriage. I am a little more interested in how to care for the paint and chrome. I have lived in Arizona for a decade but will be moving to Minnesota very soon. I have never had to contend with winter vehicle care before and would like to know what to expect from those who know. Specifically, how do you or do you wash your truck in temps below zero or in the teens? Do you use the touch free washes in the winter for the undercarriage? Can you and do you prep with a different wax or sealant before winter hits? If you use specific products please list them and the steps you use.
never wash you truck in freezing weather unless you have a nice heated garage and plan on keeping it in there, what i always do is wax it with zaino as many times as i can before it gets cold, then when i have all the protective coats of zaino on ill go over it with a really good wax for extra help. when it warms up that 1 time a month or so ill go to a touchless wash that gets the undercarriage also.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree with Ridge but use only Zaino. My 03 FX4 still looks new after four Michigan winters. I also touch up the undercoating before every salt season. You will get some warm days during the winter months to give her a good washing.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by fishx65
You will get some warm days during the winter months to give her a good washing.
Define warm.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 AM
43+ when ever its nice, kinda sunny just good enough to spray off really good with a pressure washer and hit with soap and such without it freezing instantly

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 AM
You might as well figure 9 months of winter, 3 months of bad sledding up there.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
So basically your routine doesn't change during the winter you just don't wash the truck as much and maybe put a few extra coats of wax on before the first big snow is that what I'm reading?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
That's good info. I'm on my way to Alaska, so I'll give that a try this winter too.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm going to be using this Duragloss come winter. It's extremely durable when applied with the bonding agent. Think Zaino at half the price.

Is similar to an epoxy (A&B) and bonds chemically when it comes into contact with durable polishes. Duragloss PBA will double the durability and protection of polishes when applied prior to polishing.

Synthetic Polymer/Wax Formula. Super-tough coating forms a protective barrier which protects against acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings and other environmental pollutants.

Quick Reply: Winter care