Saturn's paint guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturn's paint guarantee?

Saturn is marketing a "warranty" paint sealant, which, does NOT require a "renewer" in order to keep the warranty in effect for 3 years. Obviously not a fly-by-night company.

Daimler-Chrysler has the same paint warranty.

What is this stuff they are using that they can get that kind of durability? They are conceding to a paint warranty that covers any fall out imaginable. Acid rain, bird crap, the whole nine yards.

And where in the heck is Ford?

Last edited by rustyzipper; 06-03-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 AM
That's probably b/c most of the people who drive saturns don't care about etching, fallout, etc. They're only concerned about the huge sections of clear coming of and/or the color coat flaking up.

Just my thoughts...I may be totally off base, though

Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah -- the vast majority of people in this world have no desire or inkling to get into the finer points of vehicle detailing. All they care about is that after they go through the brush wash at the local Texaco, the paint on their car is still relatively shiny.

I think Saturn is simply playing the odds on an insurance policy like this that the overwhelming number of vehicles that get no particular care beyond an occassional wash will still look relatively presentable after three years. I suspect most will.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
My cousin just paid around 500 bucks to have his brand new F-250 done at the dealership. I believe Dupont made what they used to seal it with.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah all that.....But I still want to know what it is they are using. That's a long time to go between applications. The warrany is pretty clear. If anything happens to the paint because of paint seal breakdown they re-paint it, period.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I would like to know actually what it is also. He will be picking up some sort of wax or polish that goes with it the next time he gets to the dealership. A search of Dupont sealents may lead to some answers.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
RP??? Any input? You seem to have the answer as to what's in about everything...

I'm starting to winder if this is a sort of liquid-type version of the clear bra things you can buy... Like what you apply to the front of bimpers, etc. to prevent rock chips, etc...

Or maybe it's Pixie Dust that's color matched...

Old 06-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah and now Chrysler has jumped on the band wagon. Chrysler has always had some kind protection thing going on however. Just not for this length of time. That's a long friggen time, damn!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are we sure that this is a MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY?!? This sounds like the voodoo stuff that any decent detailer could smack on a vehicle before it leaves the lot.

Show me something where GM or Daimler are pushing this stuff...

Frankly, it sounds like a dealer markup item.... these 'special protectants' have long since been shown to be GARBAGE.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I knew I should have saved that darned link. I was on a Saturn message board and a Saturn Salesman was talking about the Manufactures warranty. It's something different from the dealership snake oil. I think Saturn dealers have a different name for what they use. It's called touch of class or something to that effect. It's a combo paint sealant, interior package. But that has to be re-applied every year.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Moderator &

Several manufac's have their own line of products. Meguiar's makes a good majority of them (Benz, BMW, and a few others). Ford's stuff is made by a host of vendors (ie: whoever would give the lowest price for a lousy product).

I continue to think that the products that you're mentioning are likely add-on stuff from the stealership. While all manufac's have some kind of paint warranty within the standard warranty, I've not heard of any manufac (other than Toyota - I think it was Toyota) that has tinkered with a paint warranty or different paint coating system.

I can't remember if it was Toyota or Honda but, Professional Carwashing & Detailing (trade magazine) profiled a paint system that one of the Japanese manufacturers were experimenting with a 'self healing' type of paint. In short, you scratched it, it 'flowed' back to flat. The jist of the article was talking about how to detail it -- and the fact that no one really knew how.

I believe that the paint system is already out of use but, I'm sure that there are a few of them out there -- FYI!

-RP-

Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Nah....This was some kind of sealant the Salesman was talking about from the factory. It just wasnt for the paint itself, but for paint protection. It was a very long thread and people were very interested. But the salesman gave a very generic name like Armor Plate or.....shrugs I dunno.

Damn I wish I would have saved that link now. I just figured somebody here would know right away.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I think that the warrenty on the paint after adding the sealer is what really sold him into buying it. I tried to talk him out of it, but they had allready brainwashed him into believing it was the best thing since popcorn.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I suppose I could go to the Saturn dealer but I doubt they would tell me what it is, much less who makes it. I'd end up with one of these anyway.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Moderator &

Keyword... SALESMAN. I'm just not buying that Saturn -- in their infinite wisdom near the bottom of GM's bag o' tricks -- would do anything along these lines. I've been wrong before but, I really think that this is an upsell for a sales guy.

If it wasn't, they'd be touting it all over their website, in dealership literature, on window stickers, etc... because they would be charging for it.

Quick Reply: Saturn's paint guarantee?