Today's detail: 2006 PT Cruiser using Meg's and Tropi-care

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's detail: 2006 PT Cruiser using Meg's and Tropi-care

Here is what I do on my vacations. Vehicle in questionis my brother's new 2006 PT Cruiser.

Not sure what the first owner did to this poor car, but it was in pretty bad shape for 13,000 miles.

This was nothing but an exterior paint job for my brother .. he will do all the rest, windows, tires, wheels, etc ..
so don't give me grief about the bugs on the windshield.

Process was:

Wash with Gold Class
clay
Scratchx under the door handles
Meg's #80 with the Dewalt @ 1500 and an 8" Edge Green pad
Meg's #9 with the PC, @ 5.5, 8006 (yellow) pad
Meg's #7 with the PC @ 4.0, 9006 (tan) pad
Tropi-care TC-3 with the PC @ 4.0 with a 9006 (tan) pad X 2
FK1 425

Here are a couple of before shots.

Here are a couple of after shots

Old 06-03-2007, 10:39 PM
and a couple more shots

here are a couple more after shots, including the required hood reflection shot

I am really starting to like the Tropi-care TC-3 sealant. it has a very nice look to it, and is super easy to use.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Nice.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Suspended
Ok, I'm sold. Where is the best place to get this stuff? My 2006 RED Focus has some damage because I've neglected it like an ugly step-child for too long. I'm ready to get down and dirty and get it better than new and swirl free.

I have a lot of detailing experience, but VERY little with an electric buffer... any tips?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much better!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 PM
very nice

Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I'll take it he wasn't washing right.

Nice work......Beautiful finish. Man there are so many good choices in shine products these days. Makes my head swim thinking about how all companies stay in business.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work there, Gip. I always enjoy your posts as you carry some substance unlike much of what has been happening lately within the General Care & Detailing forum.

Your pics speak for themselves! Nice job.

Only 13k miles on the ticker and they already had it in that shape?! Geeeesh! Must have been a nylon-brushed tunnel queen.

Again, nice work, bud.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Suspended
Any recommendations on a buffer on a budget? I just found some Dewalt that's $200 new, but it only goes to 3,000 RPM. What should I look for? (Where?)

Old 06-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Lumadar
Any recommendations on a buffer on a budget? I just found some Dewalt that's $200 new, but it only goes to 3,000 RPM. What should I look for? (Where?)
Full rotary? Do you have a DA like the G-100 or PC 7424 (which are identical)?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RockPick
Full rotary? Do you have a DA like the G-100 or PC 7424 (which are identical)?
You confused me a bit, heh. Right now all I have is a Cratfsman random orbital buffer...some thing my dad got a few years ago and it's at a friend's house. All I know is that it was a big two hander with a 10 inch pad.

I was thinking of getting something like that PC 7424. Is that a good starter model? I found a website that has a few starter kits with that 7424, any recommendations from the choices there?

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html I guess I don't have a specific budget, but less is better... but at the same time I don't want to cut corners and get something that will be lacking and not versatile enough.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Nice work there, Gip. I always enjoy your posts as you carry some substance unlike much of what has been happening lately within the General Care & Detailing forum.

Your pics speak for themselves! Nice job.

Only 13k miles on the ticker and they already had it in that shape?! Geeeesh! Must have been a nylon-brushed tunnel queen.

Again, nice work, bud.
thanks.. much appreciated. It was a program car, so I am sure it got abused by either the dealership lot guys, or whatever salesman was driving it home ... the paint cleaned up really nice .. it was actually less work than I thought it was going to be when I first looked at it .. first thought was I would need something stronger than #80, but a test pass showed that it would do the job.

I will probably throw a coat of #16 on it for him later this week ..

Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Gipraw
thanks.. much appreciated. It was a program car, so I am sure it got abused by either the dealership lot guys, or whatever salesman was driving it home ... the paint cleaned up really nice .. it was actually less work than I thought it was going to be when I first looked at it .. first thought was I would need something stronger than #80, but a test pass showed that it would do the job.

I will probably throw a coat of #16 on it for him later this week ..
This guy must be a good client... pulling out the 'top shelf' #16 for the guy! LOL!

How did you like the 425 as the finishing spray? Did it darken it up a bit over just the TC-3? The more I tinker with 425, the more I like it. (sidenote: FK1 tossed in a sample size of one of their washes with my last gallon of 425 -- I can't remember which # it is -- I'll give it a whirl soon though.)

I have a tester of the Tropi Care out in the garage but haven't managed to tinker with it yet. How do you like that stuff? I know Ashe swears by their stuff -- I just keep forgetting to tinker with my little array of TC products.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:10 AM
You confused me a bit, heh. Right now all I have is a Cratfsman random orbital buffer...some thing my dad got a few years ago and it's at a friend's house. All I know is that it was a big two hander with a 10 inch pad.

I was thinking of getting something like that PC 7424. Is that a good starter model? I found a website that has a few starter kits with that 7424, any recommendations from the choices there?

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html I guess I don't have a specific budget, but less is better... but at the same time I don't want to cut corners and get something that will be lacking and not versatile enough.
I would recommend starting with a PC, instead of a rotary .. you will get more use out of it, especially if you are primarily taking care of your own vehicles.

check with Autodetailingsolutions.com .. take a look at one of their package deals with the G100 I think package #2 is a good place to start.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Moderator &

I was thinking of getting something like that PC 7424. Is that a good starter model?
First, see with Gip mentioned...

Secondly, it's not really a 'starter model'. Quite the contrary. It's what many of us that do this professionally (either full time or on the side) use for vehicles where they don't feel that the rotary is necessary. It's a VERY effective tool and it's very very safe.

Kit #2 is what I would also recommend plus, if you have a little extra kitty, you may toss it at one more finishing pad and one more polishing pad. These are great items just to have in the event that your pads are dirty and you're in a bind. It is expensive 'foam' but, again, it's worth it -- you're getting what you're paying for in this sense.

The plus to the G-100 over the PC7424 is very miniscule... in fact, there's only one true difference... that's a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. These things do, on occasion, burn up. Brushes and such can go bad so, having the backing of a company like Meguiar's where you can simply call Cust Service and have a new one rolling your way (of course, after sending yours back) isn't a bad gig. Plus, at the Autogeek prices -- well, they're pretty much even kiel with ADS. Autogeek is a great company and sells a lot of great stuff but, the lifetime warranty is the kicker in my opinion.

Mind you, the G-100 *IS* a PC 7424. PC makes it for Meg's.

If you moosey over to ADS and buy, be sure to tell them that the fine folks at f150online.com sent you.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Today's detail: 2006 PT Cruiser using Meg's and Tropi-care