Spots on my Trailer (Polished Aluminum)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to find a product called Aluma-Brite. Some say they have it at Lowes or Home Depot, but I've never seen it there. I found it at a boat dealer for use on boat hulls.

I have some bling items in my engine compartment and they water stain TERRIBLY. Finally buffed them shiny on a wheel and clear-coated them.

Jim

Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno-- even with the big sized powerball, it would go pretty fast. I'm assuming that you're wanting to get it nicer, not showroom perfect (bad assumption???). The powerball would make this a project that I'd allot about 3-4 hours for. Even by hand, this would easily be done in 6-8 hours.

I'm just saying it would be worth a shot. Both the broducts are "a-line", meaning they are on the shelves at Auto parts stores. Pads, on the other hand, are usually something you have to order online. If you wanted to get right on it, the A-line would be a great way to tackle something.

good luck, though.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Well I know I would use a power ball myself, those things a pretty tough. I probably wasn't going to ever buy a power ball till I read where a lot of the fire departments are using either Flitz or Mothers power ball on their trucks diamond platting, and swore by them. Ya gotta figure, a whole friggen fire truck? And diamond platting? Sheesh! Sold me.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
Well I know I would use a power ball myself, those things a pretty tough. I probably wasn't going to ever buy a power ball till I read where a lot of the fire departments are using either Flitz or Mothers power ball on their trucks diamond platting, and swore by them. Ya gotta figure, a whole friggen fire truck? And diamond platting? Sheesh! Sold me.
I know we don't, but then again, we get at least 2 convicts a day for 12 hours!!! I haven't washed a truck there in so long...

But, yes, when I got to use a friend's Powerball, I loved it.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 AM
^^^^^

You know what, I have been trying to figure out for years what to use for cleaning the diamond plate on the fire trucks in my department and lo and behold, I found the info!!!! lol.

BTW f-150sport03, in my department I am the one wearing the white hat (chief) and I even wash and wax the trucks.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I've investigated further--went right to the horses mouth, er....uh, fire department--yep, that's what there're using alright, Flitz power ball.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by tiny1
BTW f-150sport03, in my department I am the one wearing the white hat (chief) and I even wash and wax the trucks.
I've seen our chief do it once, and I do about once a month just out of boredom, but it's common courtesy to the convicts to not do stuff for them--if we don't have anything for them to do, they have to go home, and if they go home, they don't get the hours they need at the timeframes that they must meet.

When I worked at a different VFD, though, I was washing the apparatus every time they were dirty. And I might have waxed them every week... (we didn't get a lot of calls to say the least.)

Speaking of which, though, one of the LT's at the VFD I'm at now gave me a funny look yesterday when he drove by to see me sitting on top of the tanker using Plast-X on the lightbars... I guess I'm the only fool who sees them and knows how to fix it in a way other than buying a new lens...

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that we have people specifically for the jobs at hand. But I see your point, and it was duly noted.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Dennis,

Did you get things worked out with your trailer?
I can give you some advice if you still need it. I've been polishing aluminum tank trailers for 20 years and have also done work for Sooner trailers. What you have is an easy fix.
Whatever you do DO NOT use Oven Cleaner on bare aluminum.
My email is mrcleans04@yahoo.com.

Vince
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-05-2007, 09:11 PM
nice shine on that tanker, Vince .. very nice job.

did you use a Cyclo on it ?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
nice shine on that tanker, Vince .. very nice job.

did you use a Cyclo on it ?
Thanks for the compliment. I have used a cyclo, but I didn't get the reflection I wanted using it on aluminum.
I used a makita polisher with 2 different 3M pads, 1 compound pad and 1 for the polish. Then a 11" orbital with terry cloth bonnets was used to remove the swirls. The polish is the secret. It's not cheap, but it does a heck of a job.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by TCsRed04
Thanks for the compliment. I have used a cyclo, but I didn't get the reflection I wanted using it on aluminum.
I used a makita polisher with 2 different 3M pads, 1 compound pad and 1 for the polish. Then a 11" orbital with terry cloth bonnets was used to remove the swirls. The polish is the secret. It's not cheap, but it does a heck of a job.
Thanks ..

Very nice work .. I bet it made a heck of a mess ..

Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Thanks ..

Very nice work .. I bet it made a heck of a mess ..
That's putting it mildly. The tank was a 2000 model and was never polished until 4/06. A lot of wax on wax off. After the first couple of hundred you kinda learn what to do to stay fairly clean.

Quick Reply: Spots on my Trailer (Polished Aluminum)