bug stain wont come off!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bug stain wont come off!!

i have about a silver dollar sized bug stain on my front bumper. i have used soap (with lots of elbow grease), high pressure wand at car wash, nu finish scratch remover, and bug, tar remover. Is there anything else that would get this stain off? it annoys me every time i look at the front of my truck. tia

Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by gators241987
i have about a silver dollar sized bug stain on my front bumper. i have used soap (with lots of elbow grease), high pressure wand at car wash, nu finish scratch remover, and bug, tar remover. Is there anything else that would get this stain off? it annoys me every time i look at the front of my truck. tia
Try a claybar. If that doesn't work, you may be stuck with wetsanding. For using each of those above mentioned products, do a search if you don't already know how to go about using them.

G'Luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd really like to see a picture of the area before I recommend anything.

Can you feel it above the surface of the paint? ...or does it seem to be subsurface?

Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Suspended
i dont have a camera but i will try to locate on. it appears to be subsurface.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by gators241987
... it appears to be subsurface.
Ahhh. This is looking like you just got yourself a bit of a compounding job, if not wetsanding. Before I reccommend anything, though, I'm gonna want to see pics, or maybe someone in the area can help diagnose the problem...

It couldn't hrt to clay the truck if you haven't done it in the past 6 months to a year. Ad who knows, it may help a bit.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
It couldn't hrt to clay the truck if you haven't done it in the past 6 months to a year. Ad who knows, it may help a bit.
Actually... quite the contrary in my opinion.

The red F-150 that I worked on yesterday had a spot on the top of the bumper smack dab in the middle. If I had clayed it, I feel confident that I would've removed some paint from the bumper as it had actually etched deep enough into the paint that it was almost flakey.

That said, I think the clay would've snagged some of the paint and yanked it from it's substrate.

Soooooooo, that said, I'd forgo the clay for now. It might not hurt elsewhere on the paint but, sight unseen, I'm VERY hesitant to recommend doing anything at all with it.

At this point, since you can't get me a picture (feel free to email it to me if you come up with something (thefinaldetail AT insightbb.com), I'd run it by a reputable body shop and get an opinion.

I know your pain... there are a couple of spots on my truck that catch my eye EVERY time I walk up to it that bug the snot out of me (one is a rock chip on the front end that I've been procrastinating fixing -- another is on my hood that I dare not touch as the clear is GONE). Anyway... best of luck and let us know what the body shop tells you!

-RP-

Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Didn't know that--A very good lesson indeed. You learn something new everyday. I not only stand corrected, I thank you for the lesson.

Originally Posted by RockPick
Actually... quite the contrary in my opinion.

The red F-150 that I worked on yesterday had a spot on the top of the bumper smack dab in the middle. If I had clayed it, I feel confident that I would've removed some paint from the bumper as it had actually etched deep enough into the paint that it was almost flakey.

That said, I think the clay would've snagged some of the paint and yanked it from it's substrate.

Soooooooo, that said, I'd forgo the clay for now. It might not hurt elsewhere on the paint but, sight unseen, I'm VERY hesitant to recommend doing anything at all with it.

At this point, since you can't get me a picture (feel free to email it to me if you come up with something (thefinaldetail AT insightbb.com), I'd run it by a reputable body shop and get an opinion.

I know your pain... there are a couple of spots on my truck that catch my eye EVERY time I walk up to it that bug the snot out of me (one is a rock chip on the front end that I've been procrastinating fixing -- another is on my hood that I dare not touch as the clear is GONE). Anyway... best of luck and let us know what the body shop tells you!

-RP-

Quick Reply: bug stain wont come off!!