How about this Meguiars polish/wax line up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this Meguiars polish/wax line up?

Ok guys after reading through the Care & Detailing forum, I have decided to spend some money and time to detail my 2000 BLACK Expedition the right way.

My Expedition is my daily driver and is parked outside 24/7. It has never been parked in a garage. The paint is filled with swirls, spider webs. and has a few scratches on the doors. The roof and carbon fiber hood are in worse shape than the rest of the car.

I plan on buying the #2 DA Polisher NXT Speed Kit, extra pads, and other goodies from ADS. http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm

Three things I would like to accomplish:
#1. Remove all swirls, spider webs, and scratches
#2. Restore the paint to a deep, wet look.
#3. Add a extra layer of protection to the roof and hood.

This is the line up for what I plan to do:

1. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
2. Clay- Smooth Surface
3. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
4. Clean Paint- DC Step 1 (A-3016)
5. #80- Speed Glaze to remove swirls and scratches.
6. Wax- NXT Tech Wax
7. #26- Hi-Tech Yellow Carnauba Wax

Anything I should change about the line up?
Are there any products I should add or substitute for the ones listed above?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 06-10-2007, 02:14 AM
instead of NXT I would use a sealant such as M#21...If you want it really deep I would even toss a coat of M#7 after the #80 and before the #21...

Everything else looks spot on!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I had great results with:
Wash
clay
#80 x2

Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
PCW
I used the polish and wax which are parts 2 and 3 of the three part system. Before I bought it, my crown vic had sat outdoors in the mid-atlantic summers and winters for several years. The car was in great shape, but the paint had seen better days. After using the products the car looked brand new. I will continue to use these products.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalExpy

I plan on buying the #2 DA Polisher NXT Speed Kit, extra pads, and other goodies from ADS. http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm
Great! You'll find that the PC is a fantastically effective tool at removing some of the problems that you describe below. Be sure to mention that you found ADS at f150online.com when you order!

Three things I would like to accomplish:
#1. Remove all swirls, spider webs, and scratches
#2. Restore the paint to a deep, wet look.
#3. Add a extra layer of protection to the roof and hood.
Good plan. You should be able to accomplish all of these things by using the PC, the right pads, the right procedures, and having a good deal of patience.

If the vehicle is in lousy shape right now, you'll likely have to spend the better portion of the day working out the swirls and such. Don't get flustered. This is a time-intensive movement the first time around. If you've never used a polisher, I'd recommend grabbing a copy of the "How to use a PC" video from ADS as well. I know the guy that put it together personally and you'll likely pick up a lot from it.

This is the line up for what I plan to do:

1. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
2. Clay- Smooth Surface
3. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
5. #80- Speed Glaze to remove swirls and scratches.
6. Wax- NXT Tech Wax

Anything I should change about the line up?
Are there any products I should add or substitute for the ones listed above?

Thanks,
Andy

Good plan, Andy. I think you're moving along the right path. A few things to consider:

1. You may not be able to deal with some of the scratches with #80. That said, I'd recommend snagging a tube of Scratch-X and using it BEFORE the #80 step to remove some of the harder and deeper scratches. No need to use this all the way across the vehicle... just spot treat.
2. Use the #80 as much as you need to. If the vehicle hasn't had much love, you'll find that the swirls and such may be a bear to remove on one, two, maybe even three passes. Sight unseen, it's a very tough call. What I'm getting at here is to not move forward until you've completed the task at hand. Don't get flustered when one pass doesn't get it... take your time and have patience.
3. Move the PC slowly across the paint. The circles being left behind by the PC should be very tight and you shouldn't see much 'wobble' in the circles of product left behind on the paint. Work a small area until the product starts to dry slightly or gums up. Have a bottle of water in a spray bottle handy as this can help in removing some of the #80 that 'glazes' or dries to the paint. Don't scrub! Use a premium quality microfiber to remove the product from the paint.
4. Nice choices on wax. I love that combo on dark paint. Again, don't go to your last step products (NXT & #26) until you've accomplished the earlier tasks to completion. Don't settle for second best!

Good luck! Let us know if you need any assistance. We expect before and after pictures!

Oh yeah... here's a handy little chart for your PC and pad selection:

Enjoy!

-RP-

Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks RP and everyone else for their tips. I really appreciate it.

Here is my final set up:
1. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
2. Clay- Smooth Surface
3. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
5. ScatchX
6. #80- Speed Glaze to remove swirls and scratches.
6. Wax- NXT Tech Wax or #21

Do you recomend that I wipe everything off with a MF towel? Would using a MF bonnet on the PC be too harsh?

I am also going to order some extra pads, a grit guard, some MF towels, and the How To DVD. I will be placing my order tomorrow morning.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks RP and everyone else for their tips. I really appreciate it.

Here is my final set up:
1. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
2. Clay- Smooth Surface
3. Wash- NXT Tech Wash
5. ScatchX
6. #80- Speed Glaze to remove swirls and scratches.
6. Wax- NXT Tech Wax or #21

Do you recomend that I wipe everything off with a MF towel? Would using a MF bonnet on the PC be too harsh?

I am also going to order some extra pads, a grit guard, some MF towels, and the How To DVD. I will be placing my order tomorrow morning.
Some like the MF bonnet... some don't. I'm on the latter side of that coin. Here's why -- the MF bonnet will 'load' with product and it will really not have any where to shed the excess dusting. At that point, the bonnet starts to 'glaze' from the excess product that is accumulating in the fibers of the bonnet. From there, the pad is basically just 'grinding' the product into the paint.

Sure, a witty and quick person will keep that from happening but, I find myself forgetting to check it until I've induced some micromarring... Just a personal opinion, I suppose.

As for your line up... good plan. I like it. I've used that route (exactly in fact) several times.

Be sure to tell Rick where you heard about ADS! I think we're slowly turning into one of the sites that he thinks about most frequently when it comes to great customers... so much so that I've been leaning on him to do some advertising here. Again, I get zero kick-backs other than the pleasure that our members are taken care of and get great products in return for their hard earned dollar. Rick's customer service is of the utmost...

-RP-

Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Ok, I got all of my supplies from ADS today. Shipping only took 2 days!

Here are my final detailing steps:
1. Wash & Dry
2. Clay- Smooth Surface Kit
3. Wash again
4. Clean Paint- DC Step 1 (A-3016). Apply by hand.
5. ScatchX- Apply by hand where needed.
6. #80- Speed Glaze. Apply with Yellow Buffing Pad. Speed 3-5. Do not let it dry. Remove with MF towel.
7. #7- Show Car Glaze. Apply THIN with Tan Finishing Pad. Speed 2-4. Let dry and wipe off with MF towel.
8. Wax- NXT Tech Wax. Apply with Yellow Polishing Pad. Speed 2-4. Dry to haze and wipe off. Wait atleast 12 hours before applying #26.
9. #26- Hi-Tech Yellow Carnauba Wax. Apply by hand. Let dry to a haze, then remove with MF towel.

Questons:
1. Should I be applying the NTX Tech Wax by hand?
2. Should I be applying #26 with a W9006 pad? or by hand?
2. Should I skip steps #3 & #4?

I cant wait to detail my Expedition. I will post before and after pics after I am done.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, I got all of my supplies from ADS today. Shipping only took 2 days!

Here are my final detailing steps:
1. Wash & Dry
2. Clay- Smooth Surface Kit
3. Wash again
4. Clean Paint- DC Step 1 (A-3016). Apply by hand.
5. ScatchX- Apply by hand where needed.
6. #80- Speed Glaze. Apply with Yellow Buffing Pad. Speed 3-5. Do not let it dry. Remove with MF towel.
7. #7- Show Car Glaze. Apply THIN with Tan Finishing Pad. Speed 2-4. Let dry and wipe off with MF towel.
8. Wax- NXT Tech Wax. Apply with Yellow Polishing Pad. Speed 2-4. Dry to haze and wipe off. Wait atleast 12 hours before applying #26.
9. #26- Hi-Tech Yellow Carnauba Wax. Apply by hand. Let dry to a haze, then remove with MF towel.

Questons:
1. Should I be applying the NTX Tech Wax by hand?
2. Should I be applying #26 with a W9006 pad? or by hand?
2. Should I skip steps #3 & #4?

I cant wait to detail my Expedition. I will post before and after pics after I am done.
You could skip step 3, if you wanted. NO need to wash again, especially if you are using QD as the clay lube. Everytime you wash, you take a chance on causing additional scratches/swirls.

You can apply both the NXT and the #26 using the 9006 pad, and the PC on 3.5

wait 12 hours or so (depending on the humidity and temp) between the NXT and the #26 .. you need to give the NXT time to cure and bond on the paint, prior to topping with the #26

when done, post some pics for us ..

Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks Gipraw. I will post pics on Monday.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Gipraw. I will post pics on Monday.
no problem .. also .. make sure you don't use the same pad for different products. each product needs its own pad.

Quick Reply: How about this Meguiars polish/wax line up?