10 tips/tricks to supplement detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info....... I would like to add about keeping your painted nerf bars looking new by removing any rust on them and repaint them. Mine currently have rust on them in various place and after I do a detail, that is the one place that looks like crap.

Hey RP....... could we get this thread made into a sticky????????

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting things under a vehicle just does not appeal to me. I would rather just scrub and scrub and scrub more, then use a dressing than to paint.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Painting things under a vehicle just does not appeal to me. I would rather just scrub and scrub and scrub more, then use a dressing than to paint.
(Sorry for the delayed response--I was out of town)

But, you have the equipment to do so, and got a MUCH newer truck than I. Mine was 3 years old when I bought it, and the prev. owner didn't gove a rats **** about it. I've cleaned it several times, but the undercoating was not only scratched away in places, but stained in many more. Also, there was a bit of rust here and there that I wanted to take care of. But I definately see your point, and to tell you the truth, I was pretty scared of it at first, too. I don't plan on making this a project to be done more than 1 or 2 more times every 5 or so years (unless necessary). FWIW, I use your undercarriage advice like we all use RP's advice. Your work on the undercarriage is absolutely stellar and a guide to what I need to accomplish.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
The problem is most wheel wells are a mix of a crappy/thin coat of body colored paint, and putting "dressing" on them doesn't do anything. By painting them black, or using spray undercarriage rubber coating you give it a dark base coat. THEN you can follow up with a quick rinse and dressing to keep it contrasting with a nice, dark black.

I also went under the truck with a slider and pulled off all the manufacturing stickers, and wrapped wire harnesses with electrical tape, and painted misc pieces that stood out. It makes a huge difference on a fully detailed vehicle to the trained eye.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lumadar
The problem is most wheel wells are a mix of a crappy/thin coat of body colored paint, and putting "dressing" on them doesn't do anything.
I wax any area that is body color. All the black items get the dressing.

Quick Reply: 10 tips/tricks to supplement detailing