New Ride, when to wax..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ride, when to wax..

Picked up my new 07 Expy this weekend. I was wondering when I should give her the first coat of wax. Is there a time that needs to be waited on new paint? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
LRG
Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Suspended
A new truck from Ford can be waxed the day you buy it. If you have items repainted after market, then you need to wait 60-90 days to touch the paint.

Have at it now though, you're good to go!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
A new truck from Ford can be waxed the day you buy it. If you have items repainted after market, then you need to wait 60-90 days to touch the paint.

Have at it now though, you're good to go!

Cool, thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Also, the first thing you should do after washing it is to use a detailing clay on it. It will really smooth out the paint.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Net Wurker
Also, the first thing you should do after washing it is to use a detailing clay on it. It will really smooth out the paint.
I would definitely agree...

Find some time to clay it before you wax it. The misconception that it shouldn't be waxed until several days (months) down the road is yesteryear's thought.

Catalyzed paint (aka: baked) is all that the manufacturers can use due to environmental regulations and such. Because it's baked, you need not worry about the solvents flashing out of the paint (which was why our father's wouldn't wax a new vehicle).

Best of luck to you and enjoy that new ride!

-RP-

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:51 PM
should be good to go so shine it up!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
The sooner the better IMO.I did mine as soon as I got home because I was not impressed with the job they did at the dealership.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I've been told to wait 6 months from the built date that's on the door.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 5.4 LARIET
I've been told to wait 6 months from the built date that's on the door.
Find whoever told you that and smack on the back of their head

Old 06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I was told to never wash and wax your cars, Rust is coming back

Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I've had my 2007 Screw for about a month now, and after washing it earlier this week I noticed a rough finish on the hood. I've used a clay bar before, but it was actually when I worked at a detail shop while in high school (short term internship) and didn't realize the benefits at the time. So, I decided to get a clay bar and see if that would help and man what a difference. I did mainly the hood, the rest of the vehicle feels very smooth, but I could see small particles on the hood and wanted to get that off. I got the mother's clay bar kit and I was wondering if this has any effect at all on the clear coat. I can't imagine it has much if any, or else I would have read about it when I was doing research on the subject before I did this myself. Can anyone confirm this, because on the way to the parts store, a friend was telling me that when you use clay, it actually removes a layer of clear coat. I'm a little concerned about the effects of this and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM
While there are levels of "aggressiveness" for different grades of clay, I think if you stick with the OTC stuff (over the counter) you find at mart stores and parts stores (Like the yellow Mothers stuff), you should be safe. The more aggressive clays are usually only available on-line or from auto detailing supply jobbers.

Make sure you follow the instructions included with the clay kit. The idea is that the clay "rides" on a microscopic level of the lube, and as it glides along, it either pulls the stuck-in contaminants out of the top coat, or it shears them off. The important thing is that contaminants are embedded into the clay itself, so as not to drag along the top surface of the finish.

I think the biggest risk with using clay is to not use enough lube, and you start to drag stuff across the finish, causing some micro marring or scratches. I don't think the removal of clear-coat is a worry.

Are you sure your friend wasn't referring to polishing, which is much more likely to start removing dangerous levels of clear-coat if you start using too aggressive product or pad? Especially so with a rotary.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM
no, I'm sure he meant the clay, what I'm not sure of is his level of understanding about what it's for or what it does. I think he got this information from an unreliable source, and was only passing along the information. I don't think he knows a whole lot about the subject. Thanks for the re-assurnace, I think I did the right thing, and I did follow the instructions on the box. I used lots of lube, and the finish was left extremly smooth. I'm happy with the result so far.

Quick Reply: New Ride, when to wax..