How strong is auto-car wash soap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How strong is auto-car wash soap?

Just curious: after spending a few days on the "whole nine yards" detailing, I'm wondering how long it takes for auto car washes to wash off the detailing spray and the final coat of S100? I know for sure they will wash off tire treatments in a single wash, but is it from the soap or the pressure?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not tunnel expert but, the soaps MUST be strong to get vehicles clean...

Think about it, you're showing up in a fairly clean truck getting it cleaned... the next guy is in a muddy 1985 beater that he just ran through the farm field and wants to shine er' up as he's taking the little lady out for meatloaf sandwiches... Same concentrations on both yet both want the same end result.

You should see how those car wash solutions are shipped... they're in a box (bag in box) that is about the size of two shoeboxes. That box will last SEVERAL washes (like maybe hundreds). You do the math... it's pretty dang concentrated.

The wash will depend on two items - which you have mentioned... one is pressure and other is an aggressive chemical. While it may not snub the protection in one, two or even eight passes, it will certainly accelerate the breakdown of what's on your paint.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, RP, I kinda figured out that they would have to get ALL vehicles clean...sorta the lowest common denominator, or the guy with the 2" of pig manure on his truck would complain to the carwash manager.

Someone on here must work at or own an auto carwash. Kinda curious to know the inside dope.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is not a single answer to that question .. RP touched on part of the reasons ..

in a nut shell .. if all of the chemicals are mixed to the absolute correct ratio's, and the equipment is well maintained, AND the vehicles are properly prepped prior to sending them down the tunnel, then the occasional tunnel wash won't hurt anything, although it can remove things like trim shine and tire shine.. How they dry it off is a different discussion.

but, when you look above .. there are a lot of IF's and's and but's ....

The soap they use is stronger than anything you will buy to use in your driveway ..

I managed a complete facility off and on for about 8 years .. Tunnel wash, Self Serv bays, and a complete detailing center (5 bays)..

It is a huge undertaking to keep a tunnel wash in perfect shape.. my hat goes off to those that can manage it. No matter how hard you try to do things right .. you have a bunch of employees that don't have the vested interest you do handling a lot of different things .. all it takes is for one of them to be lazy for two minutes, and guess when they are mixing a soap, or wax, or tire cleaner, or contaminating the reclaim water, or whatever, and things get out of whack.

sorry about the novel ..

Cliff notes: If the wash is very well run and maintained, an occasional wash
won't cause any long term damage, and won't totally strip you of protection ..

the challange is finding one that fits the criteria of well maintained..

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
the next guy is in a muddy 1985 beater that he just ran through the farm field and wants to shine er' up as he's taking the little lady out for meatloaf sandwiches...
Meatloaf sandwiches? Don't you think that statement is just a little condescending? Seems like eggs, side meat and grits would have been more in line with mental picture you were trying to create.
Flagship

Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No condescension was intended!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 PM
the next guy is in a muddy 1985 beater that he just ran through the farm field and wants to shine er' up as he's taking the little lady out for meatloaf sandwiches...
1. It don't have to be a 1985 beater to get muddy. Take a shortcut on a canel road around here and you could hit the car wash with 20 lbs of mud on your truck for sure. One of the car washes here will not let you go through if your vehicle is to muddy. Makes since now. Thanks for the info about the carwashes.

2. I luv meatloaf sandwiches.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
2. I luv meatloaf sandwiches.
I was talking about a meatloaf sandwich at work today, and several of the people that work for me had no idea what I was talking about .. they actually used words like gross, and nasty ..

they have no idea what they are missing .. nothing is better than a cold meatloaf sandwich.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 AM
We don't do cold meat loaf sandwiches.

Nice healthy slice in the pan, heat on both sides till the center is hot, couple slices of bread, mayo, lettuce and tomatoe.

Oh yea, and one of these.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 AM
You mention "auto" car washes but I'd like to add my 2 cents on those self serve car washes as it seems most people use these. Personally, I stay far away from those foaming brushes!!!!! I personally believe that the soap that comes out of these will dry paint out quickly. Also, many people use the brush to wipe away dirt. There is a very good chance that there will be some dirt and grime on those brushes when you use them (even if you spray them off). That grime is going to scratch the paint.

With that said, I've used the spray wands many times in the past. I just use the soap spray and then the water spray to clean my truck. I spray the entire truck with soap and then quickly (and more deliberately) spray it off with high pressure water.

My routine after that is to dry the truck and then quickly go over it with a detailing spray. I've had good results this way.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I have seen, on more than one occasion, someone scrubbing their wheels and tires with the foam brushes at do-it-yourself carwashes. I actually had to use a do-it-yourself wash when we went to the beach this past weekend to remove all of the 10,000 bugs I collected on the trip down, but I didn't even touch the brush. It was pretty funny...I packed more car detailing supplies than I did clothes.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by AsheFX4
I have seen, on more than one occasion, someone scrubbing their wheels and tires with the foam brushes at do-it-yourself carwashes. I actually had to use a do-it-yourself wash when we went to the beach this past weekend to remove all of the 10,000 bugs I collected on the trip down, but I didn't even touch the brush. It was pretty funny...I packed more car detailing supplies than I did clothes.
went to a nude beach, did ya?

i had three large tote worth of crap with me on our vacation last week.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw

i had three large tote worth of crap with me on our vacation...
So I'm not the only one...

tcope-- I'd be careful with your method. As we're seeing here, the soap is very powerful-- it doesn't need to be agitated to clean, so it's pretty darn alkaline (there's a remote possibility that it's acidic, but most cleaners are alkaline), and thus has extreme potential to do harm You don't want to dry the paint... Although the QD afterwards may help. Polishing will replace oils lost in this, just so you all know.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
what about the spray on wax?? i usually just use the rinse setting and power wash her down and then follow up with a QD. i just recently started to spray on the wax. i know it wont last as long as my nxt and #26, but i usually have 40-50 seconds left to spray on wax. any thoughts??

Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Req
I have waxed my rigs for many years. When I wash I use only plain water with a sheepskin mitten (fake or real). I realize this does not sound as though it may take some grime off, but it does, but it also does not take the wax off as quickly as soaps. Proof: Water wash, then drag your finger across the paint. For small grease spots or smudges I use Tuttle Wax. The slight grit does an excellent job.

I allowed a new "No Hands" car wash owner to run my pickup through his washer, first car, free wash. I do not know if it was the strength of the soap or the strength of the water nozzles, but all my wax ran down the sides of my pickup like it had been slightly splashed with white wash.

Those who use brush or slaping strap car washes may wish to take a look at the abrasive texture of the brushes or straps. The brush/straps are textured to wash all vehicles, old, new, stained, dust only, cruddy. I promise you, car washes are the enemy of good wax jobs.

Quick Reply: How strong is auto-car wash soap?