Lazy Mans Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lazy Mans Wax?

Just got a new Expedition and from the advice here I should wax it soon . To be honest, I am not a detail guy. I don't have much time but would like to protect the paint. Is there a one step product that will give me some protection for 3-6 months? I plan on washing this truck by hand with good car wash soap. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Just got a new Expedition and from the advice here I should wax it soon . To be honest, I am not a detail guy. I don't have much time but would like to protect the paint. Is there a one step product that will give me some protection for 3-6 months? I plan on washing this truck by hand with good car wash soap. Thanks.
Meg's NXT or Mother's SynWax

Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I'll agree with the Gipper on the products, I doubt very much that either of them will last anywhere near 3-6 months. Unfortunately, nothing that goes on (and off) really easily seems to last very long. I'd give both of those products about a 1-2 month life span. Since they're so easy to appy though ...

Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
While I'll agree with the Gipper on the products, I doubt very much that either of them will last anywhere near 3-6 months. Unfortunately, nothing that goes on (and off) really easily seems to last very long. I'd give both of those products about a 1-2 month life span. Since they're so easy to appy though ...
agreed .. I missed the 3-6 month part of the question ..

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Here's a simple quick and easy prescription for at least 3 months of protection without doing a lot of work.

1) Wash with a decent car wash soap (Megs Gold Class, Duragloss, Poorboys, etc).

2) Clay the vehicle with your favorite clay kit (Claymagic, Meguiar's, Mothers, etc). This step removes bonded contaminants.

3) Wax with Collinite 845 insulator wax. It's a wipe on wipe off wax that has exceptional durability and it does not stain trim.

Collinite 845 can be bought from boating supply stores, but I believe you can find it online for about $15 delivered to your door if you shop around.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the tips.

What is the consensus on 303 protectant for trim, dash, etc?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Req
Buzzz
Actually almost any liquid auto wax is the easiest to put on and buff to a shine. Many owners are not Detail affectionados and I understand that. The liquid, washing with any soap will remain on paint approx 45 days. It is the time it takes for oxidation of the paint after the liquid wax has disappeared that makes owners feel they still have wax well after the wax has evaporated from the sun or been washed off by soaps.

As a proof, it is the paste carnubas that will last the longest, approx 4-5 months, if washed with plain water. I had one owner advise that there was no lubrication between my sheepskin mitten and the paint with plain water, vice soap. Well, the water works just fine.

Years ago I used a special liquid wax made and sold only in auto body repair paint shops. On easy, buff to a shine easy. But it remained only about 45 days with plain water wash. It was when I accidentially used some Mother's Paste Carnuba and tried to wash out my application sponges did I find out how well Carnuba resists soap and water, and especially just plain water.

Mikey, try it, you'll like it.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qadsan
Here's a simple quick and easy prescription for at least 3 months of protection without doing a lot of work.

1) Wash with a decent car wash soap (Megs Gold Class, Duragloss, Poorboys, etc).

2) Clay the vehicle with your favorite clay kit (Claymagic, Meguiar's, Mothers, etc). This step removes bonded contaminants.

3) Wax with Collinite 845 insulator wax. It's a wipe on wipe off wax that has exceptional durability and it does not stain trim.

Collinite 845 can be bought from boating supply stores, but I believe you can find it online for about $15 delivered to your door if you shop around.
I would second this exact application.

There's a lot of voodoo out there in the automotive care world. Within that 'voodoo' of products, there are some that are tried and true and others that are trendy and short-lived.

I personally like to stick with what I know and tinker outside of that comfort zone to discover products that can get incorporated into what I know.

That said, Insulator 845 is probably one of the most durable, simple to use, waxes on the market -- and I've used a bunch of them.

qadsan is hitting the nail on the head here. There's NO silver bullet when it comes to ultra-simplicity with ultra-protection but, with #845, it's about as close as it gets.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Lazy Mans Wax?