cleaning engine process

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning engine process

well today i decided to clean my engine bay. i started with the under side of the hood. i used a spray bottle of simple green and some rag. it looks brand new now. the next thing i did was the engine. i used some simple green in a cup and a tooth brush. i got a lot clean. but there are still somethings that no matter how long i scrub it, they just wont get clean. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the rest of the engine?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
A good parts cleaner brush has worked pretty good for me - I widdled the handle down on a few to fit a 1/2 drill motor - used that on the tough spots

Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
thats sounds like a great idea, ill have to try it. my parents are leaving the country tomorrow. so ill have the whole garage and drive way to myself. ill probably finish cleaning it tonight after work.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM
First I cover certain sensors and stuff with aluminum foil. Then lightly wet the engine down, next spray with Amazing Roll Off, let sit for a few minutes, rinse off, start drying with electric leaf blower, turn on engine, continue to dry with blower, spray on Armor All tire foam, close hood. Once engine reaches temp, I turn it off and wipe it down. Leaves the surface very shiny, but not sticky.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I'd be careful with Simple Green... it corrodes aluminum. I noticed that when I washed my Escape's engine, it pitted the crap out of everything. Made it look 100X worse than what it looked like before I touched it.

The best stuff to use is something like diluted dish soap. It is milder to the alloys.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Amazing Roll Off can be used on paint, wheels, windows, engine bays, convertable tops, wheel wells, patio furnature, house siding, etc.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 AM
SG for autos won't corrode aluminium.

There was some article about US Army helicopters being corroded by simple green being used to wash them...That's when they developed the non corosive one.

Interesting thing...In the military, we like to use gallons of simple green undiluted to clean everything, from laundry to cars to paint to grease. Smells good, safe, and cheap. Easy choice. If I could, I'd buy it by the 55 gallon drum...

Quick Reply: cleaning engine process