Bad Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof peeling

I have a white 2001 F150 Lariet and my roof is peeling. The paint comes off in big flakes and there is a dull white undercoat. Now it's starting to rust. I'm waiting on a decision from Ford but figure I'll be eating new paint for the roof.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by pspmotorman
I have a white 2001 F150 Lariet and my roof is peeling. The paint comes off in big flakes and there is a dull white undercoat. Now it's starting to rust. I'm waiting on a decision from Ford but figure I'll be eating new paint for the roof.
You live in the Poconos PA... you're main concern should be your frame and undercarriage - you're not going to be worrying about your paint when your frame is dragging the ground. We just had one of our work truck f150 beaters we got off a job from the Poconos frame snap. It was completely rusted through from all the salt. I know of so many vehicles from the area that the underside goes shot before the paint. I would imagine if the owner sprayed down the frame and undercarriage with WD40 or something every now and then like I do, the underside would still look new like my own vehicles.

Originally Posted by dennisfranz
I believe that todays paint isn't required to have 'extra' visual paint care that many here do.
Well... does your vehicles shine like mine?

They don't shine like that stock and whether you wanna believe the truth or not, the sun and weather will deteriorate the paint (including the magic superman clear coats some of you believe they are that they put on nowadays). When I drive into work every day I see co-workers vehicles with either fading or peeling spots and the excuse all the time is... "well, this year vehicle was known for having bad paint." Funny when I've had the same year and model right down to the same color and mine all shine better then showroom even sitting outdoors 24/7/365.

Not just the paint, look around at plastic pieces (trim, bed molding, grills, etc.) on vehicles next time you're walking through a parking lot. You'll see allot of trucks not that old with plastic fading and looking horrible. Then you can take one of my vehicles, ten years older then the ones fading, and all the plastics still looks new. Same thing goes for the undercarriage - use protection and cleaners often - and you can virtually stop time.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Gipraw summed it up the best! Wax is the sacrificial barrier between the atmosphere and the paint

Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
So to sum up this in laymens terms, the only way to correct flaking clearcoat is to respray???

What sort of cost is associated with a hood or door panel?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by notasinger
So to sum up this in laymens terms, the only way to correct flaking clearcoat is to respray???

What sort of cost is associated with a hood or door panel?
Yes. I have never gotten a respray, but if I had to guess...I would say a couple of hundred for the hood OR door... But someone that has had this done can answer better.

Quick Reply: Bad Paint