Can I stack different waxes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
NXT first, let it set 12 hours before using anything else over it.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
NXT first, let it set 12 hours before using anything else over it.
Stupid question time:

I assume you mean apply it and remove it, THEN wait 12 hours for anything over it, rather than letting it sit for 12 hours before removal?

Also, does that go for additional coats of NXT or just if I would put anything different on it?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 AM
When using any sealant that I can think of, you need to let it sit for at least 12 hours before either putting another layer on, or a coat of anything else. The sealant needs to cure for that time before you can do ANYTHING to it.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:04 AM
www.properautocare.com

this website is great!! I've bought many products from this southern florida company, and they are remarkable. Their claybar kit is great. My 04 looks show room new when its waxed with the Full Molecular Jacket wax.

www.properautocare.com

Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but normally you wouldn't want to put a synthetic over a synthetic? (NXT over Super Resin Polish) Super Resin Polish by itself is a protection layer not really needing a wax over-top, I put the #26 over-top because it seems to be the choice for topping/complimenting a synthetic/sealant (what the NXT seems to be more of, a synthetic sealant and not really a wax per-say). Am I somewhat on the right track with that? The SRP bottle says to add a more deeper gloss and added protection to top with their other 'wax' (but it's not necessary since it's a protection layer in itself).

Also something to think about, doesn't NXT have some cleaners in it that might start to strip the SRP where #26 is just a plain wax with no cleaners in it? I never tried NXT over SRP yet.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by emig5m
Maybe I'm wrong, but normally you wouldn't want to put a synthetic over a synthetic? (NXT over Super Resin Polish) Super Resin Polish by itself is a protection layer not really needing a wax over-top, I put the #26 over-top because it seems to be the choice for topping/complimenting a synthetic/sealant (what the NXT seems to be more of, a synthetic sealant and not really a wax per-say). Am I somewhat on the right track with that? The SRP bottle says to add a more deeper gloss and added protection to top with their other 'wax' (but it's not necessary since it's a protection layer in itself).

Also something to think about, doesn't NXT have some cleaners in it that might start to strip the SRP where #26 is just a plain wax with no cleaners in it? I never tried NXT over SRP yet.
You're thinking correctly and there's nothing wrong with multiple coats of a synthetic and stopping.

NXT does, indeed, have very light cleaners (mainly chemical cleaners) that can and will thin anything beneath it. In short, layering NXT over something else is more counter productive than beneficial.

#26 is a pure natural wax with no fillers, abrasives, or chemical cleaners. That is typically why it's a good choice as a LSP. More so than protection, most will utilize a carnauba wax as a last step to bring depth and 'wetness' to the paint. So, in short, using the durability benefits of a synthetic coupled with the look effects of a carnauba.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Question

Originally Posted by RockPick
You're thinking correctly and there's nothing wrong with multiple coats of a synthetic and stopping.
In short, layering NXT over something else is more counter productive than beneficial.
#26 is a pure natural wax with no fillers, abrasives, or chemical cleaners. That is typically why it's a good choice as a LSP. More so than protection, most will utilize a carnauba wax as a last step to bring depth and 'wetness' to the paint. So, in short, using the durability benefits of a synthetic coupled with the look effects of a carnauba.

LSP?

OK, so NXT being a synthetic, it will protect better and last longer than a carnuba. But the carnuba waxes give the better shine to the paint, right?

So, new plan should look like this right?

1) Wash/Dry
2) Clay
3) Wash/Dry
4) Polish w/ Autoglym SRP, 3-4 passes
5) Wax with NXT (for protection and durability)
6) Wait 12 hours
7) Wax with carnuba (sounds like the #26 is the weapon of choice) for the shine and gloss.

Since more is not always better, I want to ask if I should put multiple coats of either the NXT or the #26, or one of the NXT and go nuts with the Carnuba, or verse visa? Or IS more actually better on both here? Not talking a 30 coat car show job, but more like 3 or 4 of each. I dont mind doing it, plenty of baseball to listen to and plenty of light late into the evenings now.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all the responses. I grew up thinking that a dish soap wash and two coats of the old blue Turtle Wax paste made the car ready for a show (thanks Dad). This is all a little overwhelming but think I'm starting to get a handle on things.

-

Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ZelenVR
LSP?
Last Step Product

OK, so NXT being a synthetic, it will protect better and last longer than a carnuba. But the carnuba waxes give the better shine to the paint, right?
Correct.

So, new plan should look like this right?

1) Wash/Dry
2) Clay
3) Wash/Dry
4) Polish w/ Autoglym SRP, 3-4 passes
5) Wax with NXT (for protection and durability)
6) Wait 12 hours
7) Wax with carnuba (sounds like the #26 is the weapon of choice) for the shine and gloss.
Probably not a need to wash after the clay. I just don't think that it really brings anything to the table minus adding more time.

Step 4... as many passes as necessary. Don't advance until you have it like you want it (as is true with all of the steps)

Step 5/6... if you had the time, it'd be beneficial to go with two coats of NXT.

Step 7... I love #26. In all honesty, I consider it a choice weapon on nearly every vehicle I detail as a LSP.

Since more is not always better, I want to ask if I should put multiple coats of either the NXT or the #26, or one of the NXT and go nuts with the Carnuba, or verse visa? Or IS more actually better on both here? Not talking a 30 coat car show job, but more like 3 or 4 of each. I dont mind doing it, plenty of baseball to listen to and plenty of light late into the evenings now.
See above.

As is true with all products, there is what's known as the law of diminishing returns. Basically, that says that the more that you put on, the more that you're taking off thus, staying the same. Make sense?

Two coats of NXT and one coat of #26 is typically my route if I'm using that set of products.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for all the responses. I grew up thinking that a dish soap wash and two coats of the old blue Turtle Wax paste made the car ready for a show (thanks Dad). This is all a little overwhelming but think I'm starting to get a handle on things.
No problem. Glad to help. It's not too terrible once you get your arms around it and it sounds as though you're close.

G'luck. Let us know if we can help!

-RP-

Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM
RP is right. Rewashing would be a waste of time if you are using QD as clay lubricant. I have to rewash because of the lubricant that I use. Sounds like you have a nice routine laid out. Be sure to let us all know how it turned out once you have finished.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Thumbs up

Two coats of NXT and one coat of #26 is typically my route if I'm using that set of products.

-RP-

Is there something better you'd recommend for doing things by hand?

Also, will #26 keep okay in the garage? (i.e.; heat, cold, moisture wont affect them) I found #26 in bulk for a decent (I think) price [128 oz./$39.99] @ http://www.autogeek.net/me26hilicawa.html and I dont think I'll use 128oz. of it that quickly.

Also, saw it in paste and liquid form, any big difference?

I'll try to get some before and after's taken, might be a while though, July is a pretty busy month for me and I'm moving at the end of it also. Thanks for all the advice all!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
In most cases paste vs. liquid is a personal preference. People who like paste over liquid usually do so because it is easier to control the amount used. Sometimes we get carried away with liquid and waste a lot of product (and make things harder on ourselves if that particular brand is harder to remove).

Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ZelenVR
Is there something better you'd recommend for doing things by hand?
In all honesty, it's not a bad plan by hand as those products are VERY simple to use by hand and actually yield very good results in my opinion. Rather than #26, you may consider Collinite Insulator Wax (845) as a last step rather than #26. It's quite a bit more durable than #26 and still yields a great carnauba look.

Also, will #26 keep okay in the garage? (i.e.; heat, cold, moisture wont affect them) I found #26 in bulk for a decent (I think) price [128 oz./$39.99] @ http://www.autogeek.net/me26hilicawa.html and I dont think I'll use 128oz. of it that quickly.
First, Auto Detailing Solutions has it by the gallon (aka: 128 oz) for $31.

It'll keep okay. I wouldn't let it sit out there through the winter. Moisture and 'garage heat' won't crump it.

Also, saw it in paste and liquid form, any big difference?
Your preference...

As Ashe mentioned, many like paste for control (me included) but, I haven't bought 26 in paste - ever. I was given a tin of it but, I still have nearly all of it. I guess I'm used to the liquid and thus, I use it (and also buy it by the gallon). Old habit, I suppose?...

I'll try to get some before and after's taken, might be a while though, July is a pretty busy month for me and I'm moving at the end of it also. Thanks for all the advice all!
Glad to help... let us know if you need anything.

-RP-

Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Question

Rather than #26, you may consider Collinite Insulator Wax (845) as a last step rather than #26. It's quite a bit more durable than #26 and still yields a great carnauba look.

-RP-

Thanks for the heads-up! I'd really like it to last for a while since I dont get to treat the truck near as much as I'd like.

Question:

While shopping around for the Collinite product I saw P21S Carnauba Car Wax mentioned and got curious. Its not cheap but it sounds worth mentioning. Any info on that product compared to the Collinite? It says it doesnt stain trim (plus in my book) and is great for dark vehicles (like my truck). Can it be found at a bulk price somewhere (like the #26 by the gal.)? Also, is it the same as the S100? I searched for it and saw it mentioned as S100 also.

-http://www.autopia-carcare.com/p21-127.html

EDIT: Just found where RP confirmed that S100 IS the same, just cheaper. Havent found a lot of first-hand feedback on it other than "it's really good stuff".

Last edited by ZelenVR; 07-03-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I've never used it, but I have heard a lot of good things about it when used as a final application. I've never seen it in any quantity larger that the tin that you can find on most websites. I've seen pictures of details done with this as a last step and they have all looked great. I would love to try it out. For the last few weeks I have wanted to use a paste again (I haven't used one since high school).

Quick Reply: Can I stack different waxes?