Painted bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted bumper protection

Hey guys. Brand new here. Been lurking around for about 2 weeks since I got my 1st "real truck". Owned Rangers since 1988 & was born a Ford loyalist.

The bumper on my '00 sport held up well,but the '03 & '05 Edge bumpers were trashed when I gave them back. I plan on keeping this one for a while so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I keep my stuff clean & wax about once a month,but would not consider myself a detailer by any means. I'm sure this is posted somewhere else,but living in the sticks & having only dial up available pretty much negates the search function.Thanks for the help. You guys have neat little corner of the net here.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Youll want a very durable sealant. Duragloss has a sealant that lasts a REALLY long time. http://autogeek.net/duragloss-total-...ce-polish.html

Make sure you apply the sealant first, then the wax 12- 24 hours later.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
In the sticks..

In the sticks indeed. I haven't heard that in a while... its good. . There are plenty of good tips here. I've been browsing religiously for about 2 months and have come to grips with my impatient alter ego as being a "not" detailer.....hehehehe....but not by far. Anyway...Study a painter's eye, a gnat's knibblet would raise hell in a paintshop around here.

D.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're looking to avoid nicks or chips on your painted bumper, wax or sealant products aren't really going to do much. I'd recommend you consider installing some of the "3M Paint Protection Film" that's available for cars and trucks today.

It goes on in a similar fashion as window tinting, and can be done as a DIY project quite easily. If you're not in to the whole DIY thing, most shops that install window tinting can also install this product.

Once applied, it's relatively invisible (more so on light colors than dark colors) and will provide a considerable level of protection from small nicks and rock chips. You can check my gallery for some photos of how it looks against a Medium Wedgewood Blue paint color.

Quick Reply: Painted bumper protection