Water spots etched into paint!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spots etched into paint!

I've got what I assume to be water spots etched into the hood of my truck.

How do I get rid of them?

I polished with Megs #7 yesterday, followed by #26, followed with NXT.

Got the last little bit buffed off just as the rain was falling. LOL Just my luck.

Any Ideas on how to get these spots off. They're only noticable when you get close to the hood and the sun reflects off it the right way.

I also clayed the hood yesterday and it did nothing to the spots.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
I've got what I assume to be water spots etched into the hood of my truck.

How do I get rid of them?

I polished with Megs #7 yesterday, followed by #26, followed with NXT.

Got the last little bit buffed off just as the rain was falling. LOL Just my luck.

Any Ideas on how to get these spots off. They're only noticable when you get close to the hood and the sun reflects off it the right way.

I also clayed the hood yesterday and it did nothing to the spots.
Without seeing it, thats a hard call but if you had spots prior to claying then i would say the #7 didn't help you as it is more of a pure polish. Having used something like #80 would have done more than the 7.

Sorry to "rain on your parade".

Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
This thread helped me a bit, but they are a PAIN to get out. Adds to my OCD everytime it rains I hate leaving the rain drops sitting on the paint to dry.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/fo...?threadid=4891

On my old car I tried #4, #2, #83, #80, Scratch X with a G100 and came to the determination only a rotary or respray would resolve it. I got it the best I could and then the flood water took care of the rest, car is gone now.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM
The spots have been there all winter. I really haven't had time to mess with washing the truck up untill now.

I clayed, then polished, then waxed.

I expected the spots to lift after the polish, because they didn't with the clay.

Thanks scoripo333. That really helped. I used scratchX on a few of the scratched I picked up over winter, but I didn't think to use it on the water etchings.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The spots have been there all winter. I really haven't had time to mess with washing the truck up untill now.

I clayed, then polished, then waxed.

I expected the spots to lift after the polish, because they didn't with the clay.

Thanks scoripo333. That really helped. I used scratchX on a few of the scratched I picked up over winter, but I didn't think to use it on the water etchings.
Yeah, definitely see the thread the scorpio posted. I was around Meg's a day or so after Mike (actually someone else -- can't remember who) took the pictures of those water spots (great camera work!).

#7 will do absolutely nothing for swirls or any other type of paint blemish (in your case, water spotting). You see, #7 is what's known as a 'Pure Polish' meaning that it has nothing 'in it' to deal with problems. It's sole purpose it to provide pop and luster and depth.

A product like Scratch X or #80 or #83 would be a more applicable product as all have diminishing abrasives as well as chemical cleaners (some more so than others) to deal with problems like what you've described.

-RP-

Old 06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks Rock!

I need to surf the Detailing section more often. Lots of good info around here.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Rock!

I need to surf the Detailing section more often. Lots of good info around here.

You could just drive it up here and let me handle it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a real good friend that is trying to move to Louisville. His family moved up there last year and now he wants to go too.

I might just have to slide on up to La Grange one time while I'm there. I might even let you rip it around the neighbor hood after your done. LOL

Quick Reply: Water spots etched into paint!