New Products at ADS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Products at ADS

Have any of you guys tried the Hi Tech Body Sponge and the Showroom New Restorer thats available at Auto Detailing Solutions? Comments?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Bump - I'd like to know about the sponge too, as an alternative to clay.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The sponge hasn't really had very good reviews -- at all.

For me, I'd stick with the tried and true.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
glc
Any worse or better than that Turtle Wax liquid clay stuff?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by BEW119
Have any of you guys tried the Hi Tech Body Sponge and the Showroom New Restorer thats available at Auto Detailing Solutions? Comments?
I haven't used the sponge but the Showroom New Restorer works fantastic. I used a 1 inch foam paint applicator. It did great. It only takes a few drops at a time with the applicator and it goes a long way. Be careful because this stuff is a dye and will stain anything you get it on. IE you tennis shoes and driveway. You know how I found that out. LOL!!

When I went back over everything this weekend with Megs #40 it really looked great. I'll have to get some shots of my truck and let you see how it looks.

Tic

PS. I wouldn't use it around the windows. Textured plastic only. My test spots didn't turn out good around the windows.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
glc
Originally Posted by glc
Any worse or better than that Turtle Wax liquid clay stuff?
Bump!

I know you pros are going to look your noses down at anything but tried and true clay, but I do want to examine any and all alternatives. I know the liquid stuff hasn't reviewed well either, but I have my reasons for looking at traditional clay alternatives, pros and cons, please.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I hope these pictures do the Showroom New Restore justice. I looks really dark black in person. It was sprinkling rain so they might not really show up.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
Bump!

I know you pros are going to look your noses down at anything but tried and true clay, but I do want to examine any and all alternatives. I know the liquid stuff hasn't reviewed well either, but I have my reasons for looking at traditional clay alternatives, pros and cons, please.
Oh... it's been reviewed.

The liquid clay bar concept has been around for years and years. It's basically a chemically aggressive cleaner. Diamondite (I think it's them) has had one on the market for years. Turtle just jumped on board as they saw the success of the clay bar, wanted to dodge having to pay royalties to the company who owns the clay bar conecpt/patent (the folks at Clay Magic), and put out a product that is lousy at best. BTW, the other liquid clay bar products get AWFUL reviews as well.

Lots of data at www.autopia.org

Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM
glc
Has anyone here actually USED the sponge and/or the liquid clay? I'm interested in hearing first hand experiences, because the "reviews" I see on the net go all the way from "greatest thing since sliced bread" to "won't use it on my lawnmower" on BOTH products.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
Has anyone here actually USED the sponge and/or the liquid clay? I'm interested in hearing first hand experiences, because the "reviews" I see on the net go all the way from "greatest thing since sliced bread" to "won't use it on my lawnmower" on BOTH products.
I really think that this is something that you're going to have to subjectively test on your own, glc.

Based on what I've read and what I understand about the mechanical process of removing embedded particulate from clear coat, I won't try it. What I have done is a fair share of research and have communicated, in depth, with oodles of other detailers -- including at least TWO very prevalent vehicle chemical manufacturers. The consensus, from those who have used it - including the detailers that I'd trust with my own vehicles - is that it's simply a more aggressive chemical cleaner that will do a moderate (at best) job to remove certain types of fallout and bonded contamination. My understanding is that it works quite well on tar and bubble gum types of 'stuck on' goop but, when it comes to bad industrial fallout or rail dust or similar, it does very little as it simply depends on the total amount of downward force that you utilize to 'lather up' the liquid clay product. In short, you're simply using the chemical clay as a lubricant more than an aggressive chemical with your applicator doing more of the 'cleaving off' or 'removal' of stuck on/in contamination.

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so, I really feel that this is something that you're going to have to try out on your own... especially because you're getting such a wide range of feedback based upon your research.

Despite what I say, you may love the stuff... and, in that case, my opinion (and the opinion of only a select few folks that I'd let touch my paint), is null, void, and useless...

Let us know, glc... best of luck to you.

-RP-

Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I agree 110% with RP,

The way I see it. clay is the tried and true method. No reason to recreate the wheel. Clay works, and works well. To me, its the absolute base for a solid detail.

Without it, you are wasting time and product. Just like RP, that is my opinion, however, I am no pro. I like the clay b/c you can some what control the process. If you need more, change the level of clay. White, Grey, Blue, Red, Purple. (I am dying to try my new purple clay, said to be more than blue less than red)

Not to totally echo RP, but if you are sold on it, try it and tell us your thoughts. What works for you may be different than what works for us. I am sticking with clay and Megs #34. That is what I use and that is what I am comfortable with.

EDIT, BTW, you haven't said what color you working with. I am interested to know that.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ticman
I hope these pictures do the Showroom New Restore justice. I looks really dark black in person. It was sprinkling rain so they might not really show up.

BTW, Tic, that looks really good.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:23 AM
glc
Thanks for the response, both of you gents.

I think I can agree with your evaluation of the liquid clay and I'll take that off my short list - but what I'm real curious about is the sponge.

Arizona Beige. I'm not out to do a multi-step detail like you guys do - and your work looks great, by the way. I'm looking to simply clean it up and protect it without busting my ***, thinking clay or the sponge and a hand NXT job. Until I started reading this forum I would have simply gotten some kind of cleaner wax for clear coats and used it like in the old days. I'm not OCD about my truck like you guys - I just want to "wash and wax" it. If I wanted to get it looking like yours, I'd pay you to do mine for me, I don't have the energy any more to go through all that.

The sponge looks easier to use and can be rinsed if dropped on the ground. I'm looking at simple advantages like that, I just don't want it to mess up my truck.

What do you think? Whatever I wind up doing, I'll take pics and write something up to share my experience, that's the least I can do.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Thanks for the response, both of you gents.

I think I can agree with your evaluation of the liquid clay and I'll take that off my short list - but what I'm real curious about is the sponge.

Arizona Beige. I'm not out to do a multi-step detail like you guys do - and your work looks great, by the way. I'm looking to simply clean it up and protect it without busting my ***, thinking clay or the sponge and a hand NXT job. Until I started reading this forum I would have simply gotten some kind of cleaner wax for clear coats and used it like in the old days. I'm not OCD about my truck like you guys - I just want to "wash and wax" it. If I wanted to get it looking like yours, I'd pay you to do mine for me, I don't have the energy any more to go through all that.

The sponge looks easier to use and can be rinsed if dropped on the ground. I'm looking at simple advantages like that, I just don't want it to mess up my truck.

What do you think? Whatever I wind up doing, I'll take pics and write something up to share my experience, that's the least I can do.
GLC

If you are looking for the quick way yet yield good results.

Use the Megs 3 step process, which starts with Clay and QD.

Stay away from the sponge all together. Get the clay, cut it in half, save one side use the other, if you drop it, throw it way. Use the second half to finish up.

Or drive down to FW and Ryan and I will knock out your project for ya...

Old 10-20-2007, 02:01 AM
glc
I may take you up on that - I'm prolly going to drive out to CA for Xmas.

Quick Reply: New Products at ADS