My weekend project, Pacifica (no dial up)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will be looking into doing this project in a week or so. Once I'm done i will up load some pics. Also I'm going to purchase a PC. Is there anything that you recommend that I get with it. I appreciate your help you have truly helped me so far.
Are you getting the G100 or the PC?

Regardless I would get the following (My opinion of course)
6" backing plate
Lake Country Pads VC pads, At least 2 yellow, 1 White and 1 Blue (or you can get a set of all the pads)

Again, that is my opinion.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I looked on Meguiars website and I've seen the APC in Green not orange but I've seen the Hyper-Wash in orange. I have the details on how to do this cleaning, thanks to you but I'm a little lost on the exhact products to purchase. I would like to purchase the same products that you used for this project. Can you send me a link. Below is what I've found but the APC on the link below says that its for the interior.

https://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20(Detai ler%20Brand)>Engine%20Degreasers/Car%20Cleaners&sectionID=41101

Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Any reason why you would go with the VC pads vs. the CCS pads from Lake Country?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I looked on Meguiars website and I've seen the APC in Green not orange but I've seen the Hyper-Wash in orange. I have the details on how to do this cleaning, thanks to you but I'm a little lost on the exhact products to purchase. I would like to purchase the same products that you used for this project. Can you send me a link. Below is what I've found but the APC on the link below says that its for the interior.

https://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20(Detai ler%20Brand)>Engine%20Degreasers/Car%20Cleaners&sectionID=41101
I *WOULD NOT* recommend Hyper Wash to ANYONE without a dose meter. This stuff is EXTREMELY concentrated and really isn't a good choice for anyone other than a professional detailer doing massive volume. At 400:1 dilution, it must have a very precise dilution!!! I recommend using Gold Class or Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds. Avoid Hyper Wash - it's scary concentrated.

APC+ is orange and APC is green. APC (no plus) is an all purpose cleaner designed for more exterior purposes and is higher foam. APC+ (orange) is designed more for interiors, is lower foam, and has more fabric softener in the solution.

To avoid having to purchase a full gallon of product, check Auto Detailing Solutions for a 'sampler' quantity which should last most garage detailers (non-pro) for several months of intensive cleaning. If you like it well enough, place an order for the full gallon next time around -- in the meantime, you'll have the opportunity to experiment with the product and will get the labeled secondary bottle.

-RP-

Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Moderator &

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will be looking into doing this project in a week or so. Once I'm done i will up load some pics. Also I'm going to purchase a PC. Is there anything that you recommend that I get with it. I appreciate your help you have truly helped me so far.
Certainly not trying to rail your question or rail the pending answer but, if you're considering going with a DA polisher, you should really consider one of the package deals at ADS.

With the package, you'll get the backing plate and Meguiar's pads (which I actually prefer over the LC pads - personal preference). Also, it should be noted that the G100 (a Meguiar's-branded PC 7424) comes with a lifetime warranty which is certainly worth it in my opinion as the brushes in the motor can and do wear out - not rapidly - but, they do eventually go out. Some of the kits also feature products which have you ready to roll out of the gate (or out of the box). In my personal opinion, for 99% of folks getting into the PC realm, these kits are primo and have everything you need rather than pulling this from here and that from there... one stop shop, so to speak.

That said, there are lots of great products out there and thus, you may not want to use the Meg's stuff -- whichever you choose, be patient and take your time. Don't expect miracles right off the bat as it'll take some getting used to. The PC, however, is very fool proof and can certainly raise the bar on getting your vehicle below par.

-RP-

Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Any reason why you would go with the VC pads vs. the CCS pads from Lake Country?
I prefer the backing plate lip on the VC pads.

The Megs Diamond pads just seem too soft to me and tear easier.

Pads are like bike seats...both are highly personal in choice. My Lake pads have already lasted longer than any Megs Diamond pads that I've had. I do love my Red Megs Cut pad...but its not really supposed to be used with a DA so you have to be more careful.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I *WOULD NOT* recommend Hyper Wash to ANYONE without a dose meter. This stuff is EXTREMELY concentrated and really isn't a good choice for anyone other than a professional detailer doing massive volume. At 400:1 dilution, it must have a very precise dilution!!! I recommend using Gold Class or Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds. Avoid Hyper Wash - it's scary concentrated.

-RP-
If I'm just using the hyper dressing for the engine compartment do I still need a dose meter. I figured I would just transfer the solution to a spray bottle like you insisted, spray it on and let it dry.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
If I'm just using the hyper dressing for the engine compartment do I still need a dose meter. I figured I would just transfer the solution to a spray bottle like you insisted, spray it on and let it dry.

Hyperdressing is fine and safe to use in there. Do not use it full strength, too shinny and wasteful.

I would use a 3:1 or 4:1 on the engine.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Moderator &

Like RR mentioned, no. The necessity for a dosing meter would not exist with Hyper Dressing. With Hyper Dressing, you're talking about dilutions of 4:1 at a maximum ratio. Hyper Wash, however, features a mandatory ratio of 400:1; which is two orders of magnitude greater hence making it nearly impossible to properly dilute with simple 'home' techniques.

-RP-

Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Just to add, its not necessary to use APC+, just try some diluted or non diluted simple green. Then dry and apply hyperdress.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Just to add, its not necessary to use APC+, just try some diluted or non diluted simple green. Then dry and apply hyperdress.
I feel stupid now, I thnk that I have confused myself. As far as hyper-wash goes I dont know why I would use that at all. Instead I will use the Shampoo plus when washing the truck. In the above post I was just talking about the engine compartment. Correct me again if I'm wrong. Spray the APC on the engine, than hose it off using a regular water hose, not pressure than spray the hyper-dressing on the engine and let it dry, that's it.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I feel stupid now, I thnk that I have confused myself. As far as hyper-wash goes I dont know why I would use that at all. Instead I will use the Shampoo plus when washing the truck. In the above post I was just talking about the engine compartment. Correct me again if I'm wrong. Spray the APC on the engine, than hose it off using a regular water hose, not pressure than spray the hyper-dressing on the engine and let it dry, that's it.
I don't have any experince with APC but rather with APC+ (Which is orange) It is similar to simple green in my opinion, it cuts through grease just like SimpleGreen IMHO. I use it full strength. But yes the process is simple.

APC+, rinse, dry Hyperdress. Enjoy.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Sticky request! Had to do it here as I an too noobish to PM anyone...

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
Sticky request! Had to do it here as I an too noobish to PM anyone...

Thanks!
Well, here is your choice:
a.) Either email me or put your email here and I will get it to you.
OR
b.) wait a week or so and RP will have V2.1 out. (hopefully...Pray for his work to be easy this week)

Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Heck, I'll take beta version 0.834a.

Gonna order the G100 DA Promo #2 from ADS tonight, and I would like to get a couple of other goodies to go with it. I'm thinking #21 to start, but want to get some other ideas before I start spending some cash.

Thanks!
kr@sleepymax.com

Quick Reply: My weekend project, Pacifica (no dial up)