Rust Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Proofing

Hi, I am just about to pick up my new FX4, and was wondering if anyone can help out with thoughts regarding rust proofing. Is the dealer spray on any good? Has anyone tried the electronic corrosion control module, and is it any good? Would I be better off going elsewhere to get the rustproofing?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Suspended
What are you interested in getting done with the "magical" dealer spray on rust proofing? I wouldn't waste your money on it. The frame is already coated with a rust proofing. If anything ever rusts, just spray it with some POR15 and never worry about it.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I got it on my truck...its was 400 bucks and is garunteed for life that your paint or body NEVER RUSTS if it does they fix it for FREE... I paid the 400 just for peice of mind even though I know it will never rust...

Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
magic salt down there in ohio??

Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
re: Rust Proofing - to do or not to do.

Trying to find the right answer about rust proofing - maybe I am a bit OCD as well. I have a 2005 STX 4x4 with 15K miles on it, and I plan on keeping it for a long time (10yrs+). That being said I live in Ohio and here comes the snow and the salt.

My 2003 Ranger Edge had the rust at the door seems with low miles, so I plan on shooting WD40 or silicon into the doors 1 or 2 times per year. A suggestion I have seen on the forum as well as from my body shop guy.

But what about undercoating? Does not seem many places do it anymore (only place I have found is Zeibart with mixed opinions) and a lot of people think it is not necessary with the way trucks are built. So what are your thoughts? Should I undercoat? Does it void any warranties? The 2005 Ford warranty book says - "Damage caused by alteration or modification" is not covered. Thinking possibly voids the warranty. Any thoughts? I have searched high and low for the answer on this one. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
My 03' f150 is having some rust problems under the bed. Ford glued a heat shield right above the muffler and it absorbed moisture. I tore it all off and found a little hole in the bed and other rust starting. I'm thinking about por15. The body warranty was out of date by one month when I found the rust. Also about lower door rust. I smeared a coat of grease right along the bottom edge same with the tailgate. Then poured a little oil down there. In the spring I wipe away the grease till late fall.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm also kicking around the idea of the dealer undercoating for my f150 that I bought in August. My dad (ford salesman) said that it will be $299 for it. The paint sealer is also $299.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Think I am leaning to just a good under carriage wash and spraying silicon/WD40 into the doors.. Below is an article that is helping me lean this direction, but again if you have feedback or more knowledge let me know! This is just not that simple.. On top of thinking about rustproofing then you have to hope that they do a good job. One big thing that makes me think not to get it done is that there are so few places that do it anymore. But trying to read through all the posts and different web sites as well as talking to body shop people does not lead to a clear answer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

From cars.com

Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ToofastFX
I'm also kicking around the idea of the dealer undercoating for my f150 that I bought in August. My dad (ford salesman) said that it will be $299 for it. The paint sealer is also $299.
Both high profit items that are almost worthless. Your dad should know better.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I am a salesman at a Ford dealership 21 years now
I use WD40 in the lower door panels, as well as the seam along the bottom of the tailgate, which is a notorius place for rust on F-series for a long time

Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oil the vehicle, it will stop alot of rusting, done it to mine 1 yr and my ranger for 6 yrs, no rust

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM
high profit I would agree...almost worthless I can`t agree with. Dealers are like any other company, they want to make the most profit they can. Isn`t that like the other 99 percent of industry in North America? Most dealership I know are underwritten, just in case the rustproofing company they deal with goes out of business, and they are insured to do repair to your truck if theres a rust problem. If you get rustproofing done at a car dealership, just make sure you read... and follow the warranty guidlines If it says bring your truck back for inspections every one to two years then do it Otherwise there`s nothing the dealerships can do to help you with warranty. Do not use any of these rust module boxes that they attach to your battery and ground to your truck, they just don`t last. Spraying a oil or lubricant is the best as long as its applied properly.
My experience...28 years selling trucks and cars and 23 of them selling Ford`s

Old 09-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the great replies!

Quick Reply: Rust Proofing