Q's about claying

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Q's about claying

Ok guys, I'll be claying my truck for the first time (my trucks, and mine) and was just needing information on what I should expect, anything that I should know besides whats in the directions? Can I clay in the sunlight? how often should I nead the clay? Is the clay reusable, and if so, how many times??

Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you wax in the sunlight??? No dont do it in the sun, the QD will dry up to fast. How often? That depends on what kinda roads you drive on. I would say 2 times a year does it for me but its personal prefrence. If you run your hand on the paint and it doesnt feel like glass it's time to clay(dont do that if you have nasty sandpaper hands like I do). Reuse? Depends how dirty it gets. Max for me is 2 times and before I throw it away I do all the really nasty spots; Rockers, bumpers, windows, hell even the wheel wells. Have fun and dont rush it.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Re-fold the clay as it becomes contaminated, you'll see. And don't skimp on the lubrication. Clay life is dependent on how much contaminant is pulled from the vehicle. When it gets nasty, throw it away.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have clayed my truck 2 times in the past quarter. Do it in the late evening as the sun is setting down near the horizon. If this is the first time, you better take it slow and clean it really good. The next time you do it, you can really speed up and do a great job, but the first time is the slowest.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
A hot surface will actually "melt" the clay and make it grab more. You will see the marks from the clay if the surface is hot.

Like the others said, check the clay each section. I suspect you will see some major discoloration. Just kneed it back and keep going. Lots o lube.

Remember to cut the bar in half and only use half at a time. If you drop it, that one is done and use the other.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet guys, I really appriciate the help!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Also, if youre truck is black or another very dark color, you will probably see some scratching. At times it's unavoidable, but can prolly remove them with a hand wax or a light buffing.. GL and yes, lots 'o lube..

Last edited by SproutsDad329; 07-11-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Smile

I am a clay newbie, and just did my wife's 01 Accord and my 94 F150 in the last 3 weeks as my first clay attempts. So do a search and rely on these other guys who really know what the are doing. The 6 yr old Honda took longer than the 3 yr old truck but I was impressed how smooth it leaves the paint. Do like somebody suggested on this forum and wear rubber gloves to keep a better handle on the clay, especially on vertical panels like doors. But the best advice I can give is do it barefoot with clean feet. Why????? So if you do like I did and drop the clay on the first door panel you might luck out like me and have it land - splat! - on my bare foot and not on the ground. I figured a little toe jam couldn't hurt the paint so I finished the Honda with the same clay. That clay was real dirty in spite of my clean toes. Then MYF150 got new clay and clean toes. The truck was easier because it was cleaner and higher off the ground so less stooping. Required more brews however.

Quick Reply: Q's about claying