PC 7424/detailing questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC 7424/detailing questions

Well my shipment from ADS finally came the other day! I want to get out and use my new PC this weekend and see what the results are on my truck. I'm going to use the same products I've been using (step 1 and 2 from the Meguiars 3 step process and Meguiars NXT Tech wax). It was suggested that I should step up the products I'm using to something more professional that is made for use with a machine. I think I'll do that for my next detail since I don't want to wait for those products to ship! Now I have a few questions before I begin....

I found this process listed in a previous thread:
Tape off an area, about 2'x2'
Put 2 small daps of polish on the pad
Pat the pad/ polish around the area
Turn PC to speed 3 and spread evenly around the area
Turn PC to speed 6 and work polish in
However RockPick pointed out that different polishes should be worked in for different amounts of time. How long should I work in the products I plan on using and what speeds should I use? If it makes a difference, I will be using 8006 and 9006 pads.

I remember reading that you don't need to let paint cleaner and polish dry like you do for wax. Is this true and can I simply buff each body panel off as I finish applying product and still get the same results?

How should I care for each of the pads after I finish using them? Rinse with water and place in a ziploc bag for future use?

As always thanks for the help!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:02 AM
LRG
You don't want to keep working the product after it dries as it gets hard and can cause swirls as the dried dust gets ground into the paint. Stop working the product just before it dries - you'll pick this up quickly when you start using the machine and see how it works.

I would agree that you should look at some products made for machine application. The NXT wax is fine with the machine, but you'll get polishes that work much better that are designed for machine application (80,83,9, etc.). Be aware that you've got a DA machine so make sure the label of the product you're getting mentions it. Some products are for rotary only.

Search the forum for lots of advice on pad cleaning and storage. Most like to wash it out with water and a little dish or murphy's soap, press the water out, some toss in the dryer on low or no heat, then store in a ziploc bag after they're COMPLETELY dry. Tons of reading on this if you want to check it out.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dkory22
How long should I work in the products I plan on using and what speeds should I use? If it makes a difference, I will be using 8006 and 9006 pads.

I remember reading that you don't need to let paint cleaner and polish dry like you do for wax. Is this true and can I simply buff each body panel off as I finish applying product and still get the same results?
Generally speaking, yes. That is correct.

How should I care for each of the pads after I finish using them? Rinse with water and place in a ziploc bag for future use?
For the oilier products, water won't remove the product inside the pad. Also, you should use more than a 'dab'. I would compare the correct volume of product so something more along the lines of between a half-dollar and a quarter sized 'blob'. This should be reapplied to the pad as needed (ie: when it appears that you're not really getting anything to the paint).

Back to pads, Murphy's Wood Oil Soap works WONDERS on removing the product from the pad.

Use a quarter-sized blob on the pad, work it into the pad, rinse, rinse, rinse rinse, rinse & rinse. Allow to totally dry... totally dry. Then store in Ziplocs. Again, totally dry. Foam is a GREAT substrate for mold!

-RP-

Old 07-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies! Wow I just read the backs of the bottles, I don't know why I was letting the polish and cleaner dry before. Even the directions say to wipe immediately. Woops .

Now I don't see anywhere on the bottles that says they can specifically be used with a PC. Do you know if it will be safe to use these products or should I hold off on the detailing and order some higher quality polish and cleaner/swirl remover?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Moderator &

If it came in your kit, it's safe to use with the PC. Also, see the chart above. If it's on there, it's obviously safe for use with the PC.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I didn't buy them with the kit. I've had them for a year or two now. I see the paint cleaner is listed (A-3016) but the polish is not (A-2116, http://www.meguiars.com/?car-polishe...-System-Polish). Should I assume it takes the same settings as the cleaner and use it anyway or wait? Sorry, just want to be sure . Also, I read on the chemicalguys site that quick detailer can be used to remove leftover cleaner, polish, glaze, wax or sealant. I know it is sometimes hard to buff off every last bit of tech wax. Is it ok to use quick detailer to remove that?

Last edited by Dkory22; 07-15-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Well I went ahead and detailed and skipped the polish because I was running short on time. I'm really impressed with how much better the result was using the same products on a pc! However, it really didn't save me any time. Still took me about 4 hours to wash, do paint cleaner, wax it and shine my tires. Although that also includes the time it took me to rearrange cars in the driveway, bring out my boxes of products, towels, pads, pc and wash supplies, and then take it all back inside after. I'm sure that I was applying way too much wax before since after following your advice this time I had such a nice even coat that buffed off very easily. Overall I'd say I like the pc a lot and I'm sure I'll speed up the more I get used to using it. Thanks for all the help!

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Moderator &

I didn't buy them with the kit. I've had them for a year or two now. I see the paint cleaner is listed (A-3016) but the polish is not (A-2116, http://www.meguiars.com/?car-polishe...-System-Polish). Should I assume it takes the same settings as the cleaner and use it anyway or wait? Sorry, just want to be sure . Also, I read on the chemicalguys site that quick detailer can be used to remove leftover cleaner, polish, glaze, wax or sealant. I know it is sometimes hard to buff off every last bit of tech wax. Is it ok to use quick detailer to remove that?
If you're finding that NXT is difficult to remove, odds are that you're using WAY too much.

The key is to apply just about every automotive detailing product that you use in VERY thin and VERY even coats. You see, you're only leaving behind a VERY thin layer of any product that you apply and thus, everything that you're wiping off is excess and is effectively wasted.

Sorry I didn't get to your question earlier... you could have applied the product in the same manner as the cleaner but, I would likely have used a finishing pad versus a polishing pad.

QD is an effective way to remove stubborn polishes from the paint but, if you're going at a effective pace and not really pushing the product to the 'glazing' limit, odds are that you'll not have to utilize this technique.

Don't get me wrong, it can CERTAINLY be used but, if you're glazing the product to the paint, you're working it entirely too long and allowing it too much dry time. Remember, polishes and cleaners really have no necessity to dry to the paint.

-RP-

Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah I see what a difference the thin, even coats make! That made the removal job a lot easier. Thanks for replying, I'll use the tips on my next detail!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Alright one last question

My 8006 pad I used with the paint cleaner washed out great but it was very hard to get the wax out of the 9006 pad. I used lots of dish soap and rinsed the hell out of it. I squeezed out quite a bit but it still feels waxy when I touch it. Will it be fine to let it dry and use it again or should I go pick up some murphy's oil soap and scrub it more?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Alright one last question

My 8006 pad I used with the paint cleaner washed out great but it was very hard to get the wax out of the 9006 pad. I used lots of dish soap and rinsed the hell out of it. I squeezed out quite a bit but it still feels waxy when I touch it. Will it be fine to let it dry and use it again or should I go pick up some murphy's oil soap and scrub it more?
easiest way to clean the pad is to allow it to dry totally before cleaning it. they are a bear to clean while the product is still wet.

you will be fine letting it dry out and using it again, as long as you do not change products . if you are going to use a different product on that pad, then you do need to clean it first.

In this instance, make sure you have all the soap, etc out of the pad, prior to using it again.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Ok thanks again! I rinsed it out pretty well so I think I should be good.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Moderator &

Rather than dish soap, give Murphy's Wood Oil soap a whirl. It works VERY well...

Echoing Gip here... make sure you get all the 'goop' out of the pad!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I'll pick some up soon! Thanks!

Quick Reply: PC 7424/detailing questions