Bed Rail Caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Rail Caps

No one may remember, but about three months ago I posted some info about the cheap factory bed rail caps that seem, for some of us who didn't originally protect them very well, to discolor over time, and sometimes to the point that they simply can't be restored with any product.
I tried every thing I could think of, including some rather unconventional products and processes. Nothing worked.
I stumbled across the idea of painting them, and found that Krylon makes a paint for plastics called Fusion. I thought, "What the hell". They were ruined anyway. So I painted them, after good prep, of course.
I was rather pleased with the appearance, yet concerned about the durability.
I'm happy to announce that, after three months in the hot Alabama sun, they look fantastic. The product has held up very well.
I know this seems like a cheap-o fix, considering how much our trucks cost, but then, to replace the caps with the same crappy quality ones offered by Ford just didn't seem prudent to me. I don't particularly care for anything offered in the aftermarket world, so this is what I came up with.

Just in case you guys are interested.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
No one may remember, but about three months ago I posted some info about the cheap factory bed rail caps that seem, for some of us who didn't originally protect them very well, to discolor over time, and sometimes to the point that they simply can't be restored with any product.
I tried every thing I could think of, including some rather unconventional products and processes. Nothing worked.
I stumbled across the idea of painting them, and found that Krylon makes a paint for plastics called Fusion. I thought, "What the hell". They were ruined anyway. So I painted them, after good prep, of course.
I was rather pleased with the appearance, yet concerned about the durability.
I'm happy to announce that, after three months in the hot Alabama sun, they look fantastic. The product has held up very well.
I know this seems like a cheap-o fix, considering how much our trucks cost, but then, to replace the caps with the same crappy quality ones offered by Ford just didn't seem prudent to me. I don't particularly care for anything offered in the aftermarket world, so this is what I came up with.

Just in case you guys are interested.
I'm interested. Thanks for following up. I plan on doing the same thing, was just waiting to see if they seemed to hold up. As I recall, didn't you use a semi-gloss?

Quick Reply: Bed Rail Caps