Paint splatter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint splatter

Just got back from a 2 week underway and what do I find on my truck? Looks like someone took a paint brush and flung paint on my tailgate and right rear quarter panel !!! Can someone give me advice on how I can remove this or is this something to leave to the pro's? By looking at it it seems to be an interior house paint. Please keep in mind that I have absolutly no experience in exterior care with the exception of basic washing and waxing. Thanks to all in advace.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I would first try a simple cleaner wax .. there is a small chance you might get lucky ..

next step would be a clay bar. You can pick up a clay kit at most autoparts stores. Grab one from Meguiar's or Mothers, and follow the instructions .. simple to use, and very effective at removing overspray.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:54 PM
how good is the clay bar at removing thick spots? Most of the paint is way thicker than over spray. They are more like (how should I put this) splatters of mud after a fun day.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:12 PM
If it is regular house paint then it'll probably be latex. This can be easily removed with soap and water, just take care not to scratch your clear coat. Hopefully the paint hasn't had TOO much time to dry as it hardens with time especially if its been sitting in the hot sun. If its an oil based paint it'll be a bit tougher to remove. Also, if you had a decent wax coat underneath it'd probably help in removing the spots because the paint has a harder time bonding to a shiny/slick surface. If the splatter is <> 1/16 in diameter the claybar would probably knock it off... I'd try soap and water first.

I went out for breakfast this morning and found I had run over some chewing gum.... now its all over my quarter panel. (>_<)

My .2

Good luck.

Last edited by phiire; 07-21-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
goo gone!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:20 AM
LRG
If the clay bar fails you, plastic razor blades would be my next choice. You'll likely have to order them online (very cheap). If you go that route make sure to use something like quick detailer or at least windex as a lubricant - there is a chance you might get some minor scratching, just be careful.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
thanks for the options guys I'll try them out this week.

Quick Reply: Paint splatter