Black Plastic Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Plastic Help!

I purchased Meguiar's PlastX for all of the Black plastic on the outside of my truck. The PlastX did not make the parts look good so I used silicone base product and everything looked good but it rained that night and it ran down the doors the next day and I have to wash it off and re wax the area. What can I use to make the black plastic look good and not run down the doors when it gets wet?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM
303 Aerospace or Vinylex.

303 is available from marine retailers (like West Marine) or from select auto chains (Murray's in IL has 303). You can get it very easy via online ordering (Autogeek, for example).

Vinylex is available in spray/wipe form from Pep Boys.

Avoid Mother's Back to Black like the plague!

-Mike

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 PM
PlastiX is for Clear plastic....

Just kiddin

Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by DD-976
303 Aerospace or Vinylex.

303 is available from marine retailers (like West Marine) or from select auto chains (Murray's in IL has 303). You can get it very easy via online ordering (Autogeek, for example).

Vinylex is available in spray/wipe form from Pep Boys.

Avoid Mother's Back to Black like the plague!

-Mike
My dad asked me what I do, I said the toothbrush and water, he tried and it didn't work. It does for me but whatever. Someone else in a GT 500 Shelby (his car) forum said Mothers "back to black" and now he swears by it. I said be careful with the wax and plastic, but no-one listens to me again. I've got that Mothers crap and find it is useless pretty much. What does work nice is newer wax, the Eagle one Nanowax etc, which wipes clean during buffing so no problem arises later.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
PlastiX is for Clear plastic....

Just kiddin
FUNNY,

Agreed, wrong product. 303 or Megs Trim Detailer

Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Black WOW is really good stuff but it is hard to get. Always out of stock.

http://store.northamericanmotoring.c...?productid=144

Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by skirk55
I purchased Meguiar's PlastX for all of the Black plastic on the outside of my truck. The PlastX did not make the parts look good so I used silicone base product and everything looked good but it rained that night and it ran down the doors the next day and I have to wash it off and re wax the area. What can I use to make the black plastic look good and not run down the doors when it gets wet?
Meguiar's PlastX isn't a dressing -- it is a clear plastic polish. Hence, the reason you're having difficulties.

When in doubt, read the directions -- as they say.

As was previously mentioned, two very respected products for dressing/protection are Vinylex and 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both are water-based. Unfortunately, you may find that both products will run slightly; not excessively, slightly.

The unfortunate fact is that if it's water-based (which almost ALL of them are these days due to air regulations), when it gets wet, it will go back into solution and transport some of the silicones and other materials in the mix thus causing a smear or streak.

The bad news is that there is NO silver bullet for this. All you can do is apply, remove excess, and deal with it on occasion.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Black Plastic Help!