Funky stuff on paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funky stuff on paint

Howdy!
Lately I've been seeing some funky white streaks at random places on my truck, especially where body panel meet (ex: hood and front fender, tailgate and rear fender, etc...). I'm pretty sure it's something wrong with the wax I use. I'd post pics, but it's dark out now, so I'll probably get some tomorrow.

My last major detailing was back in mid May. I claybared, then used the Meguiar's 2 Step System: Crystal Paint Cleaner, Crystal Paint Polish, and then Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. I know that Meguiar's isn't the best stuff on the market, nor is the Gold Class Wax anything spectacular, but I bought it a few years ago, and I' haven't run out yet. My truck sits outside pretty much everyday all day in the hot-*** Texas sun, so wax typically doesn't last long here, but I expected more than two months!

So are those white streaks the wax, or something else?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by cpaggie_07
Howdy!
Lately I've been seeing some funky white streaks at random places on my truck, especially where body panel meet (ex: hood and front fender, tailgate and rear fender, etc...). I'm pretty sure it's something wrong with the wax I use. I'd post pics, but it's dark out now, so I'll probably get some tomorrow.

My last major detailing was back in mid May. I claybared, then used the Meguiar's 2 Step System: Crystal Paint Cleaner, Crystal Paint Polish, and then Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. I know that Meguiar's isn't the best stuff on the market, nor is the Gold Class Wax anything spectacular, but I bought it a few years ago, and I' haven't run out yet. My truck sits outside pretty much everyday all day in the hot-*** Texas sun, so wax typically doesn't last long here, but I expected more than two months!

I get these sometimes from left over wax in the "cracks" if you will. Just use a QD to remove them and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you seeing these after washing? How's your water quality?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Are you seeing these after washing? How's your water quality?
Well, the truck looked great for several weeks after detailing. Water quality is good. I'm thinking if it was a water problem, i'd see it all over, not just in a few random spots. I'm pretty sure it's the wax I'm using, because I seem to have been careless, and I see the same white streaks on the bed caps. My question is why the wax is doing this, making itself reappear after weeks/months? Maybe I'm not buffing it out completely in some places.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, the truck looked great for several weeks after detailing. Water quality is good. I'm thinking if it was a water problem, i'd see it all over, not just in a few random spots. I'm pretty sure it's the wax I'm using, because I seem to have been careless, and I see the same white streaks on the bed caps. My question is why the wax is doing this, making itself reappear after weeks/months? Maybe I'm not buffing it out completely in some places.
I know why. If you used a DA, you prob put wax up in under them and thus when it gets wet it drips. I see the same thing, but after masking off the rails, I don't see it much anymore.

To see, just gently lift up in the middle or near the end and see all that "cake" up in there.

Quick Reply: Funky stuff on paint