The best way ever to get the bugs off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girl used that magic eraser on a mirror in the bathroom and now it is permanently hazy. I imagine that continual use would destroy the paint on your truck.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Ok, here's the trick to easy bug removal. Are you guys ready? Here it is--PAM! Yep, good ol' PAM cooking spray, just lightly spray the front of the vehicle and at the end of the trip the bug splatter just wipes off with a rag. I've done this a few times and it works like a charm. (It's OK to laugh, just keep it behind my back!:o )

Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 AM
When I get those really nasty bugs I just bring out the good old 220 grit sandpaper and go to work, they dont stand a chance.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Because he gets a new truck whenever the gas tank gets low???

HAHAHAHAHA(lame)HAHAHAHAHA

Bartak

Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by extremeethan
When I get those really nasty bugs I just bring out the good old 220 grit sandpaper and go to work, they dont stand a chance.
Yeah I found a sandblaster will take them off pretty easily too.

Seriously though, using the Mr. Clean eraser thingy may be ok once or twice, but I wouldn't use it repeatedly. It's a very mild abrasive and any spots it leaves will polish out, but you're eating through your clear coat and eventually your paint.

I've tried the Pam trick Tbird posted and it works. In fact one time I was headed to northern Michigan around dusk time (lots of woods and lots of bugs), so I sprayed pam on the bumper and grill before I even left the house. It didn't look real nice, but I knew I was going to be driving through about 100 zillion bugs for the next 5 hours.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 AM
I've said it before - God knows how many time - and I'll keep saying it .....

http://www.wd40.com/pdfs/WD-40_2000UsesList.pdf

Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by baja150

I've tried the Pam trick Tbird posted and it works. In fact one time I was headed to northern Michigan around dusk time (lots of woods and lots of bugs), so I sprayed pam on the bumper and grill before I even left the house. It didn't look real nice, but I knew I was going to be driving through about 100 zillion bugs for the next 5 hours.
Another non-purty-but-workie trick, if ya know yer goin' into insect country, is to cover the front-end with clear plastic cling-wrap (leave a hole fer the rad, boneheads lol).

Dem bug-ers, they jest peels right off - NO mess.

PAM? Prolly the propellant acting as a solvent. Try olive oil - smear it on there real good with a MF towel. Mmmm.... yummy. LOL!

bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner

http://www.wd40.com/pdfs/WD-40_2000UsesList.pdf
... and we all heard it every time you said it. Everyone here can read.

Out of the 2000 uses listed in your link, 81 of them are for loosening fasteners. That's all I need is WD-40 overspray getting onto the bolts that secure my crash sensor directly behind the grill from using it to get bugs off.

The WD-40 2000 uses is just a sales gimmick... there's about a million uses for duct tape too, but you wouldn't catch most sensible people using it for more than just a handfew. Hey maybe if you put duct tape all over the front of your truck, then you could just peel it off when it get's covered in bugs. I better email that to the Nashua duct tape company.

Last edited by baja150; 08-20-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josiah
I don't know if it was worth selling the house for but you must be related to Brew...nobody will get that.
The house had to go. The neighbor was mowing 2" of my lawn and parking his car in front of my house, too (sorry about that RockPick, I couldn't help myself).

Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used the magic eraser also in the past. I would not recommend it for constant use, but used properly and lightly, it will work. That includes getting wax of the plastic parts. Some have had problems, but so far I haven't. As far as getting the center caps off, I bought an L shaped small prybar from Snap-on, and coated it with liquid rubber. A couple of coats, and once it dries it is good to go. The same stuff you can put on pliers handles etc. Works just fine and no scratches.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
... and we all heard it every time you said it. Everyone here can read.

Out of the 2000 uses listed in your link, 81 of them are for loosening fasteners. That's all I need is WD-40 overspray getting onto the bolts that secure my crash sensor directly behind the grill from using it to get bugs off.

The WD-40 2000 uses is just a sales gimmick... there's about a million uses for duct tape too, but you wouldn't catch most sensible people using it for more than just a handfew. Hey maybe if you put duct tape all over the front of your truck, then you could just peel it off when it get's covered in bugs. I better email that to the Nashua duct tape company.
Nobody's holding a gun to your head, Mr. Zero-credibility.... do as you please.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM

I realize that nobody's holding a gun to my head and I will indeed do as I please. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the suggestion you made and trying to prevent others from taking your advice.

... and some members (and God) are probably tired of hearing you say it as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I realize that nobody's holding a gun to my head and I will indeed do as I please. I'm just pointing out the flaws in the suggestion you made and trying to prevent others from taking your advice.

... and some members (and God) are probably tired of hearing you say it as well.

Jeez Louise ... I guess I'd better not mention Saran Wrap again !

bubba

Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come'on Grubrunner, you do have to admit that was a pretty damn good analogy !!!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Clay bar is the way to go. My buddy works for Dow Chemical and that is what the company gives him to clean all the overspray off his truck. It gets anything and everything I have tried it on.

Quick Reply: The best way ever to get the bugs off!