Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4whiteSTX
mothers gold class
No such product.

Meguiar's Gold Class.

WD-40 is using TOLUENE to remove your bugs. Come on people... Toluene is pretty dang good for a lot of things... like removing your wax and damaging your clearcoat.

Mr. Clean -- it's much more abrasive than you'd think. Think of it like 4000 grit sandpaper. It will work to a certain extent but you ARE removing clear. Use at your own risk and, if it were me, I wouldn't.

Dryer sheet trick has been around for years and years and years. It works. Fairly safe. I prefer elbow grease, standard and correctly diluted car shampoo, and patience. I've never damaged a finish using this technique -- and mind you, I do this on the side professionally and used to work a gig with Meguiar's Wax Company out of Irvine, CA.

There are thousands of products out there that can be beneficial in detailng a vehicle -- any vehicle -- single stage or more sophisticated clear coated paints -- the bottom line is to use a lot of common sense when using chemicals on your paint. You *can* thrash them in short order... replacing or fixing them is expensive.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess RockPick and I are crazy. I just use soap and water, go figure.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by rms8
Come'on Grubrunner, you do have to admit that was a pretty damn good analogy !!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick

WD-40 is using TOLUENE to remove your bugs. Come on people... Toluene is pretty dang good for a lot of things... like removing your wax and damaging your clearcoat.
I'm not rubing it in like a wax/polish.

I use a light spray followed by a very gentle rub with a microfiber towel on my bumper every time I wash it or before I'm about to embark on a long journey, Rock, and have NEVER had a problem. I also regularly do the same thing on the seal panels [very bottom panels that run parallel to the runing boards] which makes getting road tar and grime a breeze. Never had a clearcoat damaging issue or the like.

I've been doing this with at least one-half dozen cars for years.... yielding identical results.... read: awesome!

To each their own....

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Wow, interesting directions this thread went.

My method is similar to RP's.

Given the amount of wax and prep on the paint, they shouldn't be too hard to remove with with some MF towels and good car shampoo.

Cheers...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
You want some good anti-bug stick prevention that's actually designed from the beginning to be used on your paint (and make it look great too)... three words.. Meg's Ultimate Detailer. Normally when I take the hour and half ride down to the shore, and then another hour and half ride back, I normally have bug splats galore on my front bumper, mirrors, windshield, etc. They're also always hard to remove, even with a fresh coat of NXT wax (that's how I pressure washed a piece of paint off on my old truck trying to get a very stubborn bug splat off with 3700psi three inches away from the paint, lol).

But now that I've been using UQD, when I get home there's only a few bugs still on the truck, and a nice rain will wash them almost completely off. The remaining come off super easy - you almost don't even need to wash your vehicle after it sits through a nice steady rain. The stuff is also really helping with brake dust on the rims!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont think I would use WD on my paint. I have a fairly easy time getting them off with car soap and water. A little work, but not bad.

If they are really dried on, lay a wet towel on them for a few minutes and they come off even easier

Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Does anyone use cheese cloth for getting bugs off? I've been using it for years and never had a problem with scratching or surface damage. It does a great job of removing the bugs without much scrubbing. Obviously keeping the front of the truck waxed helps in making them wipe off easier.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Suspended
Oh grab a honey comb bug sponge from www.autodetailingsolutions.com and use it with soap and water. No more problems.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM
I Zaino my truck 3-4 times a year and all I have to do is use a little Zaino car wash and the bugs come off with little effort using a MF towel.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM
it even says right on the magic eraser box NOT to use it on vehicle paint. if their own company doesn't recommend it, why would you do it?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 AM
While I would not use, or trust using, WD-40 on clear coat or paint, truth is you don't know what WD-40 contains so you don't know if it contains Toluene. WD-40 does state that it does not contain Kerosene.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tcope
While I would not use, or trust using, WD-40 on clear coat or paint, truth is you don't know what WD-40 contains so you don't know if it contains Toluene. WD-40 does state that it does not contain Kerosene.
Hi.

I dunno; RP's pretty savvy about stuff like this.

Anyway - it's kinda irrelevant - the MSDS states 67% is 'hydrocarbon solvent', which pretty much puts lock on it's effect on paint with repeated use.... http://www.dek.com/data/wd-40.pdf.

Me - I'll 'stick' to clingy-wrap! Hey - they used to cover go-go girls in the stuff - works for me!

bubba

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tcope
Actually... I do have a pretty good idea what is in it... you see, I've recently dealt with disposing of 11 55-gallon drums of the stuff. To properly dispose this material, we have to characterize it... this involves chemical sampling prior to shipping it off for incinceration to a hazardous materials incinerator (subtitle D).

I work in the environmental industry and have several inside tracks to a lot of things that aren't necessarily 'public knowledge' or included within the 'Community Right to Know Act'.

Additionally, it contains xylenes, benzene, and several other aromatic hydrocarbons. The link that MGD posted summarizes it as 67% hydrocarbons -- toluene, benzene, and xylenes (and a few other aromatics) are all oil-derived -- ie: aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Something also to keep in mind is that WD40 (and nearly all chemicals of this flavor) will vary from Canada to the US. The reason being is that air laws and OSHA regulations will vary... hence the reason that nearly every website out there that offers MSDS's will have a disclaimer about US vs. foreign countries and concentrations/reporting limits/SARA Title III requirements, etc... etc...

Certainly not trying to be a ***** here but, the truth is... I *DO* know what's in it.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Actually... I do have a pretty good idea what is in it... you see, I've recently dealt with disposing of 11 55-gallon drums of the stuff. To properly dispose this material, we have to characterize it... this involves chemical sampling prior to shipping it off for incinceration to a hazardous materials incinerator (subtitle D).

I work in the environmental industry and have several inside tracks to a lot of things that aren't necessarily 'public knowledge' or included within the 'Community Right to Know Act'.

Additionally, it contains xylenes, benzene, and several other aromatic hydrocarbons. The link that MGD posted summarizes it as 67% hydrocarbons -- toluene, benzene, and xylenes (and a few other aromatics) are all oil-derived -- ie: aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Something also to keep in mind is that WD40 (and nearly all chemicals of this flavor) will vary from Canada to the US. The reason being is that air laws and OSHA regulations will vary... hence the reason that nearly every website out there that offers MSDS's will have a disclaimer about US vs. foreign countries and concentrations/reporting limits/SARA Title III requirements, etc... etc...

Certainly not trying to be a ***** here but, the truth is... I *DO* know what's in it.
Wow, toxic stuff! The question I really want answered is, can I still use it on my rusty fasteners and squeaky hinges.

Quick Reply: The best way ever to get the bugs off!