The best way ever to get the bugs off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with Meguiars Bug and Tar Remover? Does anyone use this b/c I picked up a bottle but I havent used as of yet.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
What's wrong with Meguiars Bug and Tar Remover? Does anyone use this b/c I picked up a bottle but I havent used as of yet.
1. Mis-lablelled - "Meguiars Bug, Tar & WAX Remover" - lol
2. Tastes terrible
3. Cling-wrap is cheaper. So is soap & water - lol

Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
1. Mis-lablelled - "Meguiars Bug, Tar & WAX Remover"
This is my reason.

I use the old fashioned, time tested, and battle proven GC soap and water, or a good QD spray.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Wow, toxic stuff! The question I really want answered is, can I still use it on my rusty fasteners and squeaky hinges.
Ehh... not really 'toxic'. It has some ugly players in the mix but, they're minor components (ie: benzene - a carcinogen).

I use it around the house (not on my vehicles)... wouldn't hesitate to use it. I just don't bathe in it, sniff it for giggles, nor will I use it on anything other than a rusty bolt or similar.

Last edited by Rockpick; 08-22-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ftruck05
OMFG!!! You guys are using Dryer sheets and Magic Erasers on Paint???? Lay off what ever you are smokin and visit the Detailing section. Those are some really harsh/abrasive things to be using on paint. And WD-40 not the best. You guys better hope Rockpick or RollingRock dont read this.
I don't actually use the dryer sheet on the paint itself. I only use it on the bumpers, the black plastic part above the bumper and the headlights. As far as the paint I use old fashion elbow grease to get any bugs off, but I usually don't have too many bugs on the paint itself.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM
designed soultions

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I guess RockPick and I are crazy. I just use soap and water, go figure.

The factory installed windshield washer system can apply the solutions designed to do the job, using the pump via a remote activation of the window washer system. Soak the windshield and then its very easy to remove bugs, grime and mud if your vehical goes off road.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I've used wd40 for years with 0 problems and my paint is in perfect shape , so I guess it can't really be that bad

Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM
WFO
Didn't read this entire thread but the Pam trick does work. If you get spattered without the Pam pretreatment, soak a large towel in hot water. Lay it over the bug goo, wait a couple minutes and wipe. Simple easy and best of all costs nothing.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM
nice re-Resurrection of a zombie thread.

but since you did .. I'll bite.

Originally Posted by Hwb330
I've used wd40 for years with 0 problems and my paint is in perfect shape , so I guess it can't really be that bad
It might fit your definition of perfect, but I will guarantee it wouldn't fit mine.

How do I know that? Simple. If you have the knowledge and skill to get your paint to a point where I would consider it perfect, you would have enough knowledge to not be using WD-40 on it.

If it works for you and you are happy with it, more power to you. Just because you are happy with it doesn't mean it isn't causing damage. Your paint isn't from a special batch that is impervious to damage caused by chemicals.

I am not trying to be an *** with my reply. Just simply trying to get people to understand that there is no reason to take shortcuts or use things that WILL cause damage to your vehicle. Take the advice, or not.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Being that this thread has been resurrected - here is my opinion.

I use Seafoam Bugs B Gone. I spray it on, let it sit for 1 minute, then wash normally. It's safe for the paint, but it DOES remove the wax.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
There's several good suggestions for getting the bugs off however I've just discovered that my truck panels from the door handles down and front door seam all the way to the rear bumper has fine asphalt granulars stuck to the paint.

Two weeks ago I drove through road construction where they had just layed down the base coat of asphalt, not thinking about it until tonight when I felt it while washing the truck. I knew something was up because I'm one of those guys that waxes 3-4 times a year and can really stretch out the washes for weeks because everything just seems to roll off but in the past 2 weeks I have never seen it so dirty, it literally feels like sand paper.

Any suggestions to get this s*it off?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Hot (very hot) water with dish soap
2. Kerosene, then wash with soap/water (this is what tar remover is)
3. 3M adhesive remover

Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Kerosene is ok for the paint?

Will 'Goo Gone' work?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
There's several good suggestions for getting the bugs off however I've just discovered that my truck panels from the door handles down and front door seam all the way to the rear bumper has fine asphalt granulars stuck to the paint.

Two weeks ago I drove through road construction where they had just layed down the base coat of asphalt, not thinking about it until tonight when I felt it while washing the truck. I knew something was up because I'm one of those guys that waxes 3-4 times a year and can really stretch out the washes for weeks because everything just seems to roll off but in the past 2 weeks I have never seen it so dirty, it literally feels like sand paper.

Any suggestions to get this s*it off?
CarPro Tar X would be my choice. Much safer to use than the previously suggested method, and much easier.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Picked up some Goo Gone in a spray bottle and tested a small area at the lower section of front door. Just lightly sprayed, let it sit for 30 seconds and with absolutely no effort at all I wiped it of using a couple Kleenex tissues (only thing I had that was soft enough here at the office). It left the surface a bit oilly but that will wash off easy enought. I did this in the underground parking so will have to check the paint in the daylight outside after work.

Quick Reply: The best way ever to get the bugs off!