Help Detailing Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Detailing Truck

So im finally gunna get around to cleaning my truck and I need some help. All i ever do is give it a good wash with soap but this time i wanna do more but dont know what to do. I wanan go about waxing a polising my truck but where do i start from and how do i do this

ne input will be great about how to do this and what products to use thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 AM
In my opinion you always want to wash at home using the two bucket method. Have one bucket with your soap in it ( i would recommend meguiar's gold class) and then one bucket with just water to rinse after you wash each panel. The next is clay bar, meguiar's makes a good one or mother's. Then the next few steps can be went at many different ways. If you are on a budget..use the meguiar's deep crystal system. Step 1 is a paint cleaner, step 2 is a polish, and step 3 is a carnauba wax. This is a pretty good system. If not i would recommend just getting the polish (they are sold separately) and then hit it with meguiar's gold class wax. It is very reflective and offers good uv protection. If not this one then meguiar's nxt synthetic wax will offer great protection, but less shine than a carnauba wax. Hope this helps. Next if you have factory clear coated rims i would suggest eagle 1 all wheel and tire cleaner..some say it is harsh and it is but it is factory wheel safe (not aftermarket though). It will melt all that grime off of your tires and then take a bristle brush to them and rinse..and some people might suggest a DEDICATED mitt with just your car soap. Next, meguiar's makes an endurance tire dressing that i am very impressed with..it works well. For the future remember to use a good soap. If you use dish soap the next time you wash, you will undo all the protection you applied this time. The key is a great soap and an equal portion of soap to water ratio. I sure hope i have helped..if you have anymore questions there are geniuses on here that can help you out way better than i (rock pick and f150 sport). If they override me on any of this go with them..this is just my two cents. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
In my opinion you always want to wash at home using the two bucket method. Have one bucket with your soap in it ( i would recommend meguiar's gold class) and then one bucket with just water to rinse after you wash each panel. The next is clay bar, meguiar's makes a good one or mother's. Then the next few steps can be went at many different ways. If you are on a budget..use the meguiar's deep crystal system. Step 1 is a paint cleaner, step 2 is a polish, and step 3 is a carnauba wax. This is a pretty good system. If not i would recommend just getting the polish (they are sold separately) and then hit it with meguiar's gold class wax. It is very reflective and offers good uv protection. If not this one then meguiar's nxt synthetic wax will offer great protection, but less shine than a carnauba wax. Hope this helps. Next if you have factory clear coated rims i would suggest eagle 1 all wheel and tire cleaner..some say it is harsh and it is but it is factory wheel safe (not aftermarket though). It will melt all that grime off of your tires and then take a bristle brush to them and rinse..and some people might suggest a DEDICATED mitt with just your car soap. Next, meguiar's makes an endurance tire dressing that i am very impressed with..it works well. For the future remember to use a good soap. If you use dish soap the next time you wash, you will undo all the protection you applied this time. The key is a great soap and an equal portion of soap to water ratio. I sure hope i have helped..if you have anymore questions there are geniuses on here that can help you out way better than i (rock pick and f150 sport). If they override me on any of this go with them..this is just my two cents. Good luck!
Holy run on paragraph, Batman..

just a couple of things .. Don't use dish soap .. period ..

Second .. stay away from Wheel cleaners .. car soap and a mitt will work 95% of the time, and no chance of doing any damage .. the wheel cleaners are just too powerful, and it is easy to do damage ..

I would also recommend Meguiar's #26 carnuaba wax instead of Gold Class .. much greater durabiity.

for the best durability/look using readily available products .. apply a coat of NXT, the top it with #26 12 hours or more later.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by outlawz28
So im finally gunna get around to cleaning my truck and I need some help. All i ever do is give it a good wash with soap but this time i wanna do more but dont know what to do. I wanan go about waxing a polising my truck but where do i start from and how do i do this

ne input will be great about how to do this and what products to use thanks
How much Time and $$$ are you planning on putting in to this? Tell us that, and we can custom make you a regimen for your truck.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:44 PM
i dno doesnt matter about the money and probably 4-6 hrs

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Money no option?

Ok here goes.
  • You need to find two G100 DA's, and a friend
  • 12 pack of beer
  • 2 6" backing plates, 2 full sets of Lake Pads
  • 100 MF towels from ADS, gold is my fav
  • Get some Poorboys Polish or SSR's, or
  • ClearKoat Moose compound or
  • Optimum Polish and Compound or
  • Megs #80
  • Then Seal it with PoorBoys EX-P...top it with...
  • Jar of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Money no option, buy it all. That's what I would do.

That ride would like crazy tight...don't forget your wheel wells and your before and after photos or else Ryan will put stinky fish on your engine block.

Last edited by RollingRock; 08-24-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Send me an email, and the sticky with all the info you could ever want will be in your inbox within 12 hours maximum.

RR-- I like the idea you have: Buy everything, THEN learn to use it over a 12 pack...

I may not opt for a fish on someone I havent met yet... Maybe just the confetti and baby powder in the Air intake. Fun part is, whenever you turn on the air, confetti blows out. and inevitably, a piece or two will continue to come out for the next year, occuring about 1-2 times a month, just to remind you every day that you should have taken pictures.

That said, I washed and waxed a NASTY F250 today that gets a real detail soon... (I only had 1 hour, GC wash, and some NXT handy) Expect some pics of me having some fun in the near future...

Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 PM
everyone else got this all wrong ..

if $$$ doesn't matter .. then call me, and I will come do it for you.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:06 AM
lol alright guys i need some help i need someone to tell me step by step of what to do. All i ever do wash and dry my vechile. Can someone tell me what to do, i dont know what polish is what is a clay bar or anything everyones help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:11 AM
lol alright guys i need some help i need someone to tell me step by step of what to do. All i ever do wash and dry my vechile. Can someone tell me what to do, i dont know what polish is what is a clay bar or anything everyones help will be greatly appreciated.
When is your timeline?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 AM
id like to get everything done within 5-6 hrs

Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 AM
id like to get everything done within 5-6 hrs
I'll be more specific. This weekend?

Bonus, are you doing to do this by hand?

This is what I would do if you are going to do on Sat.

Hit your local AutoZone and pick up the Megs Clay kit. Buy an extra bottle of Megs Quick Detailer.

In addition, buy some MF applicators (Microfiber) and some MF towels.
Get the Megs 3 step products there.

Process:
Wash (two bucket method process if you can)
Dry
Clay
Work on problem areas
Polish
Wax.

When you buy a DA, this changes everthing.

If you are doing this in like a week or two let us know that and we'll get list built up for you to buy from ADS etc.

JP

Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Have you already gotten the sticky from me? If not, send me an email. this will get all Qs answered.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Have you already gotten the sticky from me? If not, send me an email. this will get all Qs answered.
can you send me this sticky as well:
gilbertramirez@hotmail.com

Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 PM
could you email me tooo billymurder@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Help Detailing Truck