In 30 years of driving, I've never waxed a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with last poster about protection wax gives. I think it's quite obvious.

Hey Eastrick.. Where in Jersey were you from? I have lived and have family all over Jersey. Currently In Fulton County NY where I grew up. Gloversville which is north of Fonda if you know where that is..

Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
The seminar was for factory automotive employees only, and not after market polishes and waxes and it was basically referring to factory finishes and the fact that the primary purpose of a clear coat is for protecting the under coat of factory paint.

There wasn't anything in my post that was intended to imply that some waxes and polishes and an hour and a half didn't make a vehicle shine better.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by emig5m
Coming from someone that's so-called an "expert" I'd have to say that is the most ignorant statement I've ever heard. Not only do waxes enhance shine over brand new off the showroom, but the proof that they do something other then just clean, different waxes will give totally different looks (i.e. Liquid Glass compared to #26).

Show me any new car at a car dealer that hasn't been polished or waxed that has a shine like this....

Not happening....

Now, here's my 03 brand new off the showroom the day I got it (sat indoors on the showroom, didn't see any rain or dirt)...

Ya, it's clean and new, and to the average ho-hummer it might be the shiniest thing on the planet, but to me it looked really on the "dull" side even though you can see some reflections on the brand new paint.

Now after one application of Liquid Glass:

See the difference? Color is darkened and shiny as hell.

Now if I really wanna prove Mr. Ignorant expert wrong, I can go around and take pics of say, old 1987 f150's and forget the shine, with vehicles this old we'll be showing how they protect. Since the years around the 87 f150's in grey where so popular of a truck, I can go take pics of ones that have never seen wax and are peeling right down to the primer (where's that shiny clearcoat now?), totally faded (no shine or reflections what-so-ever) and then I can go dig up pics of my grey 87 f150 that still in the early 2000's before I sold it, still shined just like the second pic of my blue Lightning with no paint peeling, no cracks, all the clear was still there, etc.... and... case closed.

Damn sweet ride!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by STXDriver
The seminar was for factory automotive employees only, and not after market polishes and waxes and it was basically referring to factory finishes and the fact that the primary purpose of a clear coat is for protecting the under coat of factory paint.

There wasn't anything in my post that was intended to imply that some waxes and polishes and an hour and a half didn't make a vehicle shine better.
Wax is more intended to be a sacrificial layer. Yes, it looks great, too, but the majority of the people who wax want to prevent clearcoat failure. A clearcoat is on there because it is intended to die before the color coat, and ths protects it. But why waste that away when you can let some wax erode away???

They are also assuming that you are going to buy a car and replac it before the clear fails in 5 years due to no wax. But wax every 3 months, and your cars paitn will live longer than you.

BTW-- Thi is not the forum to push those ideas. We are all sold on wax, and nothing that that so called expert can say will change our minds. And just accept it. Why would wax be out there if it was useless??

Old 09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Sproutsdad-
I grew up in South Plainfield, which is near Edison and New Bruswick.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Figstr
Damn sweet ride!!!!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: In 30 years of driving, I've never waxed a vehicle