does wax really help??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does wax really help??

does wax on wheels help with brake dust?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cdnance
does wax on wheels help with brake dust?
It will help it wash off the next time you wash or clean the wheels. The best solution for brake dust is higher quality pads.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
any reccomendations? it seems like i always need to turn my rotors. only thing is that i dont drive or brake very aggressivly (spelling). should i just go with new rotors and pads?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does not help prevent it, but does make it easier to get off. That said, traditional (natural) waxes don[t last long in the high heat environment that our wheels live in due to brake heat. A synthetic sealant such as NXT, Zaino or Synwax lasts much longer.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
any reccomendations? it seems like i always need to turn my rotors. only thing is that i dont drive or brake very aggressivly (spelling). should i just go with new rotors and pads?
The rotor question gets lots of debate. I have done many brake jobs over the years and unless the rotors are obviously badly worn, I do not turn them. My 05, I replaced the front pads at 11,000 due to excessive dust with Wagner Thermo Quiets. Just put them on and "went". At about 45,000 had a bearing go out, so replaced ***** front rotors, pads still looked great. I replaced the rear pads at about 36,000 and did nothing with the rotors. Car Quest Blues are also a great pad for little brake dust.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
BTW, I use the Quick Spray Wax, Meguires, nearly every time I wash. The dirt comes off easy, it's easy to use and the wheels look nice and shiney.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
the thing is that i keep getting that jerky feel when braking like the rotor is warped or something. as far as pads, i have car quest on them now but the dust is awful.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
the thing is that i keep getting that jerky feel when braking like the rotor is warped or something. as far as pads, i have car quest on them now but the dust is awful.
Car Quest Blues? If so, you may have a warped rotor. First complaint I'v heard on the Blues if that's what you have.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Suspended
Yes. I use to use NXT but found it to last a lot less compared to "Wheel Wax" It's a little different than a normal wax when applying it but its the same basic concept, I'd recommend it.

PS: You've probally got a warped rotor.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 PM
This may sound strange but what size wheels and tires are you using? Stock or aftermarket?

If you are using anything over +2's you are going to get some shimmy in the braking. This will also account for exessive pad wear and heat due to larger/heavier wheels/tire combos.

Just a thought incase you are using larger wheels.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Yes. I use to use NXT but found it to last a lot less compared to "Wheel Wax" It's a little different than a normal wax when applying it but its the same basic concept, I'd recommend it.

PS: You've probally got a warped rotor.
where can i find "wheel wax" is this an auto-zone type thing or specialty?

and yeah the rotor is warped, but it always happens within about a month of changing them out. but i am using the stock set-up. and i dont do any aggressive stopping or anything. who knows.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Suspended
I got mine at Autozone or Advanced, I can't remember.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 PM
i'll give it a shot. thanks!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I have seen rotors that seemed warped but it really was brake pad material transfered to the rotor. The way it happens is you go down a long hill and have to stop at the bottom. Your rotors are very hot and you hold you foot on the brake pedal while sitting still. Pad material sticks on the rotor.

Not saying that is it for sure but could be. I have used the park brake when traveling in the mountains while stopped at a traffic light so the barkes could cool. Just remember to release them. LOL!!!

Oh, yea and use NXT on my Clearcoated Chrome wheels.

Tic

Quick Reply: does wax really help??