Wash and wax soap

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wash and wax soap

Just wondering what your opinions are on car wash that contains some type of "protection". Does anyone use it? Do you think it is helpful to use between washings? Do you think its claim to protect against the elements is a crock considering the stuff is water soluable in the first place?

My truck is always kept looking mint and protected anyway, so I dont depend on these wash and wax soaps for protection, just curious what your opinions are. I have seen some that actually put a slight haze that you can see on dark paint

Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Suspended
I wouldn't trust any type of protection short of the soaps that are for GelCoats. But, I do love Meguiars Gold Class!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Gold Class is amazing...i wouldnt use any of this stuff..but thats just me...go with a high quality soap...a gallon of gold class costs you 10 dollars...its worth it...those soaps are for people who like to cut corners in my opinion..i dont know of one really respected wash/wax in one step..

Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's generally hype...

While they may leave behind some very very miniscule protection, more often than not, they're simply tinkering with the ion charge of the chemical to create a 'sheeting' or 'beading' action for water on the vehicle. Most of them will also suggest that you shouldn't dry your vehicle as it'll remove most of the 'protection'.

All in all, the better route to go is to utilize a solid car wash solution (like the guys above say, it's hard to go wrong for $10 for a gallon of Gold Class) and keep up with your routine waxing. If you're looking for a little better than 'wash and wax', you may consider going with a product like 'Wax As U Dry' - although, I'll caution you, those products are pretty lousy as well.

Many of us utilize a spray sealant (like FK1's Poly Slick #425) in between waxings to 'boost' the level of protection. As a very serious user of this product I can tell you that it certainly prolongs the life of the protection on your paint. This product is similar to a QD spray but, really doesn't lubricate nearly as well as a QD spray. What I like to do is to use my standard QD spray (D-51 Final Detail typically (I still have 8 gallons left!), and then go back over the entire vehicle with the FK1 product. In fact, that's the exact routine that I followed last night while touching mine up.

Quick Reply: Wash and wax soap