G-100 tips & advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-100 tips & advice?

I'm just starting to refine my skills with my new G-100 (stumbled across one by luck) and I'm having a hard time pulling the swirls off my rear fenders. I used #83 and it worked well on my hood and front fenders, but the rears are tricky.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips that make using the orbital easier on highly contoured surfaces? I feel pretty good about everything else, I'm leaving for Italy for a month and wanted to put away my truck clean.

Sorry to ask, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in searches (probably keyword selection).

Thanks for all your help,
Andrew

Old 09-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by flareside4life
I'm just starting to refine my skills with my new G-100 (stumbled across one by luck) and I'm having a hard time pulling the swirls off my rear fenders. I used #83 and it worked well on my hood and front fenders, but the rears are tricky.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips that make using the orbital easier on highly contoured surfaces? I feel pretty good about everything else, I'm leaving for Italy for a month and wanted to put away my truck clean.

Sorry to ask, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in searches (probably keyword selection).

Thanks for all your help,
Andrew
Which pad are you using and what speed are you using on the DA?

Bonus question, how much pressure are you putting on the DA when using the product?

Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM
The yellow polishing pad.

Speed is set at 4.5.

I think I'm only applying enough pressure on the sides to equal the force of gravity on the hood and tonneau. I'm trying to do as the videos and stuff suggest and let the compound do most of the work.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 PM
The yellow polishing pad.

Speed is set at 4.5.

I think I'm only applying enough pressure on the sides to equal the force of gravity on the hood and tonneau. I'm trying to do as the videos and stuff suggest and let the compound do most of the work.
Use more pressure and speed up the DA to 5 and experiment. If the mark doesn't come out on the flare, try using a Red Megs Cut pad.

My experince is when I cannot get a mark or a scratch out it can only be 1 of 3 things or a combiniation of them.

1. Need more cut in polish
2. Need more cut in pad
3. Need more speed and pressure

Or any combo of those three. If the mark still doesn't go away, you may need to ask your local body shop to run a high speed over the mark. Will take about 20 seconds.

Also, I think that Megs #83 doesn't have that much cut in it.

I know I am somewhat of a homer when it comes to products and I love megs....but you should try Poorboys SSR3 or SSR2.5 or Optimum Compund.

That should get our problem areas.

SSR3 removed this:

to this:

Keep posting...we'll get you fixed up

Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks I'll have to try when I get back home, for now it's clean and covered.

I'm taking lots pictures for you guys, right now I'm in Munich, Germany. A group of friends and I are working our way down to Italy for the next 2.5 weeks, we're racing the car in my sig. at the Ferrari Proving grounds the 20th, and afterwards we're getting a tour of the factory

BTW, German is very tasty

On the way back to the airport, we're stopping at Oktoberfest, should be a fun trip ehh??

Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks I'll have to try when I get back home, for now it's clean and covered.

I'm taking lots pictures for you guys, right now I'm in Munich, Germany. A group of friends and I are working our way down to Italy for the next 2.5 weeks, we're racing the car in my sig. at the Ferrari Proving grounds the 20th, and afterwards we're getting a tour of the factory

BTW, German is very tasty

On the way back to the airport, we're stopping at Oktoberfest, should be a fun trip ehh??
Sweet....git-r-done.

Quick Reply: G-100 tips & advice?