Newbie looking for guidance...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie looking for guidance...

So I just bought $120 worth of Meguiars stuff from ADS. I got the gold class car wash, new ultimate quik detailer, #7 polish, #9 polish, NXT liquid wax (I also wanted to get #26 but they were out of stock), all metal polysh, glass cleaner, NXT tech protect, and a bunch of microfiber super shine towels and other stuff. My question is, did I need to buy both the #7 and #9 polish? I have a brand new STX but I do have noticeable (in direct sunlight) swirl marks from my first wax job. If I use both, what order do I use them in? I know the #9 is a "filler" and the #7 is a pure polish. I was thinking of using the #9 first, then the #7. Will I strip away the filler by doing this? Thanks for your help. I'm a Ford truck lovin', Meguiars usin' fool, so I'm sure I'll fit right in......

Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Megs #9 has diminishing abrasives in it, #7 does not. You can do some real correction of light swirls with #9. Welcome...

Tic

Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by mizzoucat
So I just bought $120 worth of Meguiars stuff from ADS. I got the gold class car wash, new ultimate quik detailer, #7 polish, #9 polish, NXT liquid wax (I also wanted to get #26 but they were out of stock), all metal polysh, glass cleaner, NXT tech protect, and a bunch of microfiber super shine towels and other stuff. My question is, did I need to buy both the #7 and #9 polish? I have a brand new STX but I do have noticeable (in direct sunlight) swirl marks from my first wax job. If I use both, what order do I use them in? I know the #9 is a "filler" and the #7 is a pure polish. I was thinking of using the #9 first, then the #7. Will I strip away the filler by doing this? Thanks for your help. I'm a Ford truck lovin', Meguiars usin' fool, so I'm sure I'll fit right in......
welcome to the C&D forum.

I'll take first crack at your question but I would also encourage you to read through some of the posts in this section.

For a first detail the procedure should always be this baseline:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Seal
Wax

Any combination of those is ok, for instance, you can get some polish/Seal in one product, some are cleaner/waxes etc but the baseline never changes.

The only variables are the condition of the paint. Since yours is new with minor marking, I would use the #9 then the #7 if needed, followed by wax.

you're well on your way to the world of OCD detailing. Later, you will experiment with different products.

Cheers and have fun.

Please post some befores and afters.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
For one, email me and I will send the sticky,

For two, The #7 will not remove the #9 (in fact, I use this every so often). But the NXT has mild detergents in it-- it will reomve both and replace with its own light polish and fillers. I suggest #21-- a pure sealant.

I didnt think #9 has diminishing abrasives-- I know it has VERY light abrasive power, but when I think diminishing, I think S-X.

If you email me before tomorrow morning, you will have a reply-- and you should have enough time to call up Rick and modify your order... Maybe... Or just order more!!!

If nothing else, we can help you make do with what you ordered until its time to get more...

Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I called up Rick and replaced the NXT liquid wax with #21 sealant. I'm assuming that after I do the #9, #7, and #21, I should follow that up with a coat of #26? Is #21 considered a wax? BTW, I've already received the 18 page detailing guide. Thanks for all the help....

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I called up Rick and replaced the NXT liquid wax with #21 sealant. I'm assuming that after I do the #9, #7, and #21, I should follow that up with a coat of #26? Is #21 considered a wax? BTW, I've already received the 18 page detailing guide. Thanks for all the help....
Sweet...

#21 is considered a wax-- kinda. It is a synthetic wax, but most of us will use the term sealant to differentiate between a natural (ie: carnauba) wax and a polymer (ie: synthetic, sealant, etc) type wax.

Good luck, and dont forget to take some pics!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Sweet...

#21 is considered a wax-- kinda. It is a synthetic wax, but most of us will use the term sealant to differentiate between a natural (ie: carnauba) wax and a polymer (ie: synthetic, sealant, etc) type wax.

Good luck, and dont forget to take some pics!!!
From experince, as a reminder, let #21 set up before putting wax on, it will streak.

Then the only way to fix that is to repolish.

Trust me on that one. A topic RP and I have exchanged.

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
From experince, as a reminder, let #21 set up before putting wax on, it will streak.

Then the only way to fix that is to repolish.

Trust me on that one. A topic RP and I have exchanged.
How long should I let the #21 set up before applying #26?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
How long should I let the #21 set up before applying #26?

This is the very reason I don't use #21 anymore, I don't have 12 hours needed for the "cure" time.

I prefer to use PoorBoys sealers (EXP) if I am going to seal something but remember that Megs #21 does have some polish properties to it. It works well and I like it but not all the time.

A lot of folks around here don't wax over #21....

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Here is my truck.....

Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Here is my truck.....

Looks good. Wheel wells look clean too. Plus 5 pts

Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Looks good. Wheel wells look clean too. Plus 5 pts

I haven't done anything yet. I just wanted to let you see what it looked like after I got it. I did use the Mothers clay bar system and wax on it after I got it but I'm hoping Meguiars will do a better job.

Last edited by mizzoucat; 09-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM
I haven't done anything yet. I just wanted to let you see what it looked like after I got it. I did use the Mothers clay bar system and wax but I think Meguiars will work better.
I knew you hadn't done anything yet as you wouldn't be asking the questions right?

The truck looks good. The wheel wells appear clean in the photo....

You'll find that you better get those cleaned or you will loose 15 pts if you post photos of your details and they are dirty.

What does it look like now? About the same?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I knew you hadn't done anything yet as you wouldn't be asking the questions right?

The truck looks good. The wheel wells appear clean in the photo....

You'll find that you better get those cleaned or you will loose 15 pts if you post photos of your details and they are dirty.

What does it look like now? About the same?

It's about three months old now. That picture was taken when it was 3 weeks old. It's still about the same with a few small rock chips on the rocker panels. I plan on adding some chrome rocker panels and a Westin Platinum series step bar.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
It's about three months old now. That picture was taken when it was 3 weeks old. It's still about the same with a few small rock chips on the rocker panels. I plan on adding some chrome rocker panels and a Westin Platinum series step bar.

I played around with your photo thinking it was Falcon for some reason

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for guidance...