Wanting to learn.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dear Watson. (sorry couldn't resist). Getting the products is the first step. Next is learning technique and patience. And after you drive it in the rain it's kinda like a lesson in futility. The best part is when you do a great detail and walk out the door and the truck looks better than you remembered. Time is the hardest part.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I read over that thing quickly it looks like i got a lot to learn. When i get more time i will read over it more carefully. Right now I'm just wondering what products you would use on a red truck. Does it matter what products you use on a red truck compared to a white or black truck? Is there things that will make the red stand out more than others would? Or is this just something i need to experiment with on my own?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Watson91
I read over that thing quickly it looks like i got a lot to learn. When i get more time i will read over it more carefully. Right now I'm just wondering what products you would use on a red truck. Does it matter what products you use on a red truck compared to a white or black truck? Is there things that will make the red stand out more than others would? Or is this just something i need to experiment with on my own?
Dark colors. My choice is Poorboys, Optimum then Megs. In that order.

I have dark copper.

How does this look?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Wouldn't mind getting a copy of that "crash course" myself. Not really new to detailing, but I'd like to know what products you guys are using. No use re-inventing the wheel, you know. Also, where is the best place to find the stuff you're using?--DIY

Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wouldn't mind getting a copy of that "crash course" myself. Not really new to detailing, but I'd like to know what products you guys are using. No use re-inventing the wheel, you know. Also, where is the best place to find the stuff you're using?--DIY
I think you'll find that there many great products out there.

Megs
Poorboys
Optimum
Tropi-Care
Klass
ClearKoat
Mothers

I use a little of many brands. Partial to some.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by RollingRock
Dark colors. My choice is Poorboys, Optimum then Megs. In that order.

I have dark copper.

How does this look?

That looks dang snazzy RollingRock. Thats a very nice truck you have! My truck right now shines quite well. Like i said it was detailed before i got it but i haven't really done anything to it but wash it regularly. It still looks awesome but i would just like to keep it looking nice!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM
That looks dang snazzy RollingRock. Thats a very nice truck you have! My truck right now shines quite well. Like i said it was detailed before i got it but i haven't really done anything to it but wash it regularly. It still looks awesome but i would just like to keep it looking nice!
Watson91

Thank you. With your 05 I suspect you need to do a full detail starting with a good wash and clay job. 99% of dealerships do not clay for their make ready so you are due. IMHO.

After you do that, you will get a giddy smile on your face after your polish and wax it.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by RollingRock
Watson91

Thank you. With your 05 I suspect you need to do a full detail starting with a good wash and clay job. 99% of dealerships do not clay for their make ready so you are due. IMHO.

After you do that, you will get a giddy smile on your face after your polish and wax it.
Yeah actually i bought my truck off of an individual. I didn't buy it from a dealer so i got an awesome deal on it. When i got it the truck only had 10 thousand miles on it and the guy was needing a diesel to pull his boat. Saw it sitting on a street corner went over and decided i loved it and that was the one.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I am about to email you the edition RR emailed me-- use the track changes deal to see where he added stuff. also-- I hope you have the pad cut chart and the speed chart. I dont, and I know you have posted it before...As RR brought up, it could definately be useful in the place where it tells me to add it...

Uhh... it's a few more pages long at this point. I managed to get through page 10 or something and I think it's up to around 25 pages now. I hope you don't mind some wordsmithing and tweaks...

Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Moderator &

Or is this just something i need to experiment with on my own?
... to add....

You're hitting the nail on the head with the quoted statement. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder and, as such, what may look spectacular to one guy will only look average to the next.

Several of us here have experimented with a plethora of products and certains have come out on top for certain colors under certain conditions in certain environments. Get my drift? I'm a-retentive enough that I use certain waxes or certain polishes on certain colors and even cross that up on occasion to ensure that I'm still sold on my current technique or procedure of products. There are literally thousands of products out there on the market - many of which I haven't tried but, ultimately, you're the beholder on this one.

Try out some of our suggestions on products and see what conclusion that you come to. None of us here on the boards are right but, by the same token, we're not wrong either when it comes to suggesting a product to yield a certain look. In a nutshell, we're using and/or suggesting something that we've had great luck with that we feel the necessity to share with others.

For example, I've been tinkering with another test sample of wax from a company that I do some product testing for and, I must say, I'm sold on this stuff. It's a carnauba-based wax but, for those of us who are slowly chiseling away our supply of #16 (a discontinued hard paste wax that has been around since the Arc floated around with pairs of animals), we're hunting for something to fill that void. I've found it and pray that they take this wax into production. I have actually asked my contact on the phone to send me more - he agreed (as soon as they make a tweak or two to the mix based on the comments from the 10 of us who are trying it out). I hope they don't tweak it too much...

Anyway, I digress...

The best choice of wax for you is what you think looks the best, yields the results that you demand, and has the durability that you demand. Experimentation is part of the fun within this detailing realm.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
... to add....

You're hitting the nail on the head with the quoted statement. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder and, as such, what may look spectacular to one guy will only look average to the next.

Several of us here have experimented with a plethora of products and certains have come out on top for certain colors under certain conditions in certain environments. Get my drift? I'm a-retentive enough that I use certain waxes or certain polishes on certain colors and even cross that up on occasion to ensure that I'm still sold on my current technique or procedure of products. There are literally thousands of products out there on the market - many of which I haven't tried but, ultimately, you're the beholder on this one.

Try out some of our suggestions on products and see what conclusion that you come to. None of us here on the boards are right but, by the same token, we're not wrong either when it comes to suggesting a product to yield a certain look. In a nutshell, we're using and/or suggesting something that we've had great luck with that we feel the necessity to share with others.

For example, I've been tinkering with another test sample of wax from a company that I do some product testing for and, I must say, I'm sold on this stuff. It's a carnauba-based wax but, for those of us who are slowly chiseling away our supply of #16 (a discontinued hard paste wax that has been around since the Arc floated around with pairs of animals), we're hunting for something to fill that void. I've found it and pray that they take this wax into production. I have actually asked my contact on the phone to send me more - he agreed (as soon as they make a tweak or two to the mix based on the comments from the 10 of us who are trying it out). I hope they don't tweak it too much...

Anyway, I digress...

The best choice of wax for you is what you think looks the best, yields the results that you demand, and has the durability that you demand. Experimentation is part of the fun within this detailing realm.
RP, that is prob one of the best statements I have read here in a long time. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

I found some #16....

Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

Do you think you could give him my email and let him know that I want to test it too?(or maybe just have some to play with...) I would LOVE to have some of the stuff you are talking about (I believe you mentioned it a month or so ago-- from the TC line, right?)

Just in case... its navyguy@swbell.net

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Moderator &

TC? Nope, not Tropi-Care (although I did try 'several' of their products). Mixed results, honestly. Impressed with the TC-9, didn't like the wash at all (other than the smell).

The product I'm testing is from P21S and, yes... it's the same product that I mentioned not too long ago to you.

I'll pass your name on to the appropriate folks. No guarantees but, maybe he can get you a test kit. I know he likes to work in very small groups with people that he's communicated with previously...

Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
P21S, thats right...

How about a friend of a person in that small group!!! Thanks for the...reference? I dont know what word to use, but I appreciate the kind gesture.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
P21S, thats right...

How about a friend of a person in that small group!!! Thanks for the...reference? I dont know what word to use, but I appreciate the kind gesture.
You bet. I don't have a boatload of pull in the detailing realm but, I do know some key folks who have gotten me in front of other key folks and so on...

Working for Meguiar's for a short stint didn't hurt my cause either... That experience and contact-base cannot be purchased in my opinion... not tooting my horn but rather mentioning that I got lucky and really had a neat opportunity.

Quick Reply: Wanting to learn.