cigarette smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerFan23
I just bought my truck and the previous owner was a heavy smoker (possibly with the windows up). The interior reeks of smoke and I want a new car smell.

Question: Will steam cleaning the carpets and febreezing everything in sight and adding A/C vent air fresheners be enough? Do I have to get this thing professionally detailed?
You can do it by yourself-- read on.

My truck was much the same. Whoever owned it before me used it as a work truck, thus the sweaty smell (GROSS!!!) and it had been smoked in (GROSS!)
MY SOLUTION:

-Every time I drove it, I would spray ALL cloth down with Febreeze before locking the doors. This includes the headliner, back of the cab, seats, etc. I did a week of the normal stuff then a week of the stuff for autos. (I got the latter for free...thats why I used it)

-Steam cleaner + upholstry shampoo

-Park in the sun as often as possible. Do NOT use a shade. You want the heat to increase as much as possible. Crack the windows (if in a secure area, open them up a lot.) Make sure you have a draft going (ie: both sides are opened). The open windows will allow the scent coming from the cloth to go out into the atmosphere.

-Put up a tree air freshner with your favorite scent. Replace every month.
_________
After about 2 months, you will notice that there is no longer any previous odor. Your trucks new permenant odor will be whatever the tree is.

HOWEVER: There are better options. Things like an ozone generator, baking soda, etc. I reccommend searching around on this-- there are oodles of ideas out there. I did my way because it was before I discovered this site, and it was pretty cheap. I got the trees for free, and one bottle of febreeze for free, so I really only paid for 2 bottles of Febreeze (of which I have half a bottle left), water, and the shampoo for the steam cleaner. Not a bad deal.

Again, do a search.

BTW-- If you like the smell of coffee, I HIGHLY reccommend getting a mesh bag or similar, then filling it with coffee beans. Put under your seats. Everybody used to tell me I must be a cop because my interior smelled like coffee and doughnuts...the latter may not have been on purpose...I did this for a while, until I quit drinking coffee.
(I figured at my age a pot a day was not good. So after years of drinking the stuff, and having had the worst part of the addiction going on for 3 months, I decided enough was enough. Cold Turkey. After the first day or so, I felt 1000x better. I HIGHLY reccommend quitting coffee addictions. Instead of waking up in agony for the coffee pot, I now wake up refreshed/recharged. Just my Off topic 2 cents...)

Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought my truck and the previous owner was a heavy smoker (possibly with the windows up). The interior reeks of smoke and I want a new car smell.

Question: Will steam cleaning the carpets and febreezing everything in sight and adding A/C vent air fresheners be enough? Do I have to get this thing professionally detailed?
Clean everything the best you can, then use Febreeze on every stitch of fabric in your truck. If it's possible leave the windows down for a few days. You may need to Febreeze it a few times to completely get rid of the smell.

Something I always did when I smoked was to leave the vents in the open position but turn the AC off. In other words leave the **** where air would be coming out if the fan was spinning but turn the AC/heat off. That lets the truck "breath" without having to crack windows.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Thank y'all both very much. I'll try all of it - now just gotta go find a mesh bag for those coffee grounds and search for "ozone generator."

Oh, and Ian... Sorry about Saturday

Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
best trick ever...

put some baking soda in your ashtray. not only will it help absorb odors but if they use your ashtray it instantly snuffs the butt.

(info provided by a smoker)

Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank y'all both very much. I'll try all of it - now just gotta go find a mesh bag for those coffee grounds and search for "ozone generator."

No problem, bud.

BTW-- you can get a cheapie o3 generator at Wally world, but I am guessing it sucks... Maybe have a pro help??? Good luck searching.

I wish the best of luck to ya, man!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, yeah.

Quick Reply: cigarette smoke