cigarette smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
cigarette smoke

I am a polite host. When friends want to, they are allowed to light up. Now once they are done, how do I get rid of the odor? Any tips? Here in The City, we have a store that sells car care products. P&S. Anyone heard of them or have experience?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try that and some dash vent magic also. it smells kinda odd, but it takes the smoke smell out of your ac.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 AM
You're too nice. A friend of mine lit one up in my truck one time, I told him either throw it out or I'll throw you out, not slowin down for either.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
You're too nice. A friend of mine lit one up in my truck one time, I told him either throw it out or I'll throw you out, not slowin down for either.
Agreed. There is a difference between being a polite host and allowing someone to ruin your property. To be polite, just rephrase what SlammaJamma said so it sounds nicer.

But if you must, I can say that when I got mine, it was full of a sweat and cig smoke smell. I febreezed 2x per day for a couple of months, and hung a tree air freshner for that amount of time, and now everybody tells me my truck smells good. If you do use any spray type product, do NOT forget to spray the headliner-- thats where the smoke gets mostly trapped.

A few other products I would try:
Rent a steam cleaner and steam out your seats (Rug Doctor from Albertsons)
Ozium
Ozone Generator
Oust
etc.

Once the smell is 100% gone, I would scotch guard the fabrics in the truck, too. Aside from the dirt and water repallant properties, I tend to believe that it helps prevent smells from sticking into the fabric...

Your call, but I would not allow anyone to spark up in my truck. Unless they want to pay me for the difference in price on trade in, and pay that amount EACH TIME they spark up...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM
I smoke and it's my truck so it gets smoked in.

People who ride with me are normally quite suprised that the inside doesn't smell like smoke at all.

What I do.

If I've smoked in it that day I crack the windows overnight. (have vent visors for if it rains)
I use Febreeze Auto on fabric and/or carpet every couple of days.
Keep it detailed leather stuff on the leather, vinyl stuff on the vinyl etc...
Sit in the drive when I get home without one lit for 30 sec or so with the air/heat on before shutting it off.

Now I do smoke cigars, instead of cigarettes. I used to smoke cigarettes. Cigars are MUCH easier to keep the smell gone.

The only time I've had a real problem with smell is if you jump out with a lit one and shut the door with windows up leaving some smoke sealed in the cab. That'll stink it up in a hurry.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Never use recirculate air setting while smoking.
Always have a window cracked.
90% of the smell is from the extinguished butts....I keep a water bottle with about 2" of water in it and use that as my ashtray. The cap goes back on and i never smell it.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no absolute fool-proof method to remove it however; there are methods that work better than others.

The best being ozone. Check with your local detail shops to see if anyone has an ozone machine and, if they do, line up for an appointment.

Other options include, as previously mentioned: Ozium, bombs, and lots of 4/70.

-RP-

Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
I think if you allow someone to smoke in your truck then your punishment should be to smell that awful smell!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by emig5m
I think if you allow someone to smoke in your truck then your punishment should be to smell that awful smell!

Ah....but you haven't seen the lady.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Or "If you don't like the smell you can always ride in the bed"

Have a sign in my house that says "Harassing me about my smoking may be hazardous to your health."

Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I could see an absolutely beautiful woman walking down the street and be in awe but once that cigarette goes to her mouth, all attraction is gone.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I use to smoke, so it's gradually gone now, but I found Fabreeze Auto worked really good. Didn't make the truck smell gay and cleaned nicely. The headliner really gets it so start there and work down. Although, when I smoked, ashes seldom got anywhere because the window was down. My dad hot boxes in the thing if the windows down a mm and thinks all the ashes go out the window. Wrong, white and burned catwhisker so I yell at him. It's like a scene out of Donnie Brasco where Depp and Al Pacino are driving in his caddy, ya, that's what I deal with. It's bad enough I got cravings thinking about lighting up nevermind smelling it for 3 f'n weeks.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I dunno, it bothers some people no matter who you are, unless she puts out butt good, then don't be so picky.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
when they are smoking dont use the a/c and make sure the vents are closed cause it hard to get that smell out of the a/c. When they are done just spray some fabreze down the vents. Leave the windows cracked overnight and you shouldnt have any problems

Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Ozium usually works pretty well, but the best thing ive done is just spray some febreeze after cleaning and vacuuming the inside of my truck... Smell never really goes away until you dont smoke in your truck for about a week i would say.

Quick Reply: cigarette smoke