Hard water stains on paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard water stains on paint

So, I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything. Is there any other way than an acid wash to get hard water stains/deposits off my wife's paint job? It is water from a water sprinkler that has caused horrible stains/deposits on one whole side of her Explorer. It was a couple of weeks of water from this sprinkler when she noticed after getting it washed...I can't get her to wash her car more often.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
So, I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything. Is there any other way than an acid wash to get hard water stains/deposits off my wife's paint job? It is water from a water sprinkler that has caused horrible stains/deposits on one whole side of her Explorer. It was a couple of weeks of water from this sprinkler when she noticed after getting it washed...I can't get her to wash her car more often.

Thanks for your help.
Modify your search, there are many topics in C&D regarding this.

There are not 100's of threads here, you can search all of them in under 5 min.

JP

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are the stains etched into the paint or are the minerals sitting atop the paint?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Are the stains etched into the paint or are the minerals sitting atop the paint?
I'll have to look at it closer when I get home. I ran my fingers over it and it felt rough.

Did a better search...found some talk about it.

How's this Bar's Best Friend? Is this still recommended? I'll try the vinegar/water mix...but I'm reluctant to use clay (never used it before) on the whole side of a vehicle less than a year old.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Moderator &

The spots are on the paint, correct? If so, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU USE BKF ON THE PAINT!!!!!!!

The vinegar trick may work to a certain extent if the spots are ON TOP of the paint. If etched in, you've got some serious polishing to do to remove them.

BTW, clay is ultra simple and probably safer than the vinegar mix. Really -- there's nothing to worry about here.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I'll have to look at it closer when I get home. I ran my fingers over it and it felt rough.

Did a better search...found some talk about it.

How's this Bar's Best Friend? Is this still recommended? I'll try the vinegar/water mix...but I'm reluctant to use clay (never used it before) on the whole side of a vehicle less than a year old.
Get a clay kit, very easy to use and makes a big difference.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Thanks for your help.
Honda Clean, Harley also makes a spray similar to the Honda Clean. Sold at bike shops. Works really well.

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Honda Clean, Harley also makes a spray similar to the Honda Clean. Sold at bike shops. Works really well.
Really? I might try it. BTW, I used Pledge on the plastic of my old bike.

Urgh...clay. I oughta get her out and fix her own vehicle.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I have a Black 2005 F-150 and I had some water spots, and what not that I wanted to get rid of. When I would rinse the truck I would get that beading and spotting Vs sheeting.
So I went and picked up ICE liquid clay bar. I did half the hood and then rinsed.. HUGE HUGE difference. The untouched side just beaded and looked like crap, the cleaned side just sheeted off and kept a perfect gloss until the water dried. My neighbor was amazed when I showed him how it worked.

Great, Very easy to do, no worrying about dropping clay, and it works real good. You should definately try it and when you do, do one side of your hood and then rinse to see the results.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Moltenice
So I have a Black 2005 F-150 and I had some water spots, and what not that I wanted to get rid of. When I would rinse the truck I would get that beading and spotting Vs sheeting.
So I went and picked up ICE liquid clay bar. I did half the hood and then rinsed.. HUGE HUGE difference. The untouched side just beaded and looked like crap, the cleaned side just sheeted off and kept a perfect gloss until the water dried. My neighbor was amazed when I showed him how it worked.

Great, Very easy to do, no worrying about dropping clay, and it works real good. You should definately try it and when you do, do one side of your hood and then rinse to see the results.

The 'Liquid Clay Bar' is simply a chemically aggressive polish. It falls considerably short of accomplishing what true clay does. BTW, the liquid clay bar concept has been around for quite some time - it's not a new concept (search Diamondite).

Also, the reason that I've been asking about if the water spot seemed like it was sitting on top of the paint or if it was etched into the paint was to help him determine what he needs to accomplish the task of removal. As several have suggested, if it's on top of the paint, it's likely that clay will remove a good portion of it (likely not all) but, if it's etched from hard water, clay will accomplish nearly NOTHING and will be a general waste of time with regards to removing the spot.

So, before we all jump in and slather the pig, let's make sure we can help him accomplish his goal...

-RP-

Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Suspended
Using a clay bar is going to be your best bet. It's not hard either. Just do a panel at a time. Use a bunch of QD and run the clay across the paint. Bead the clay every so often. Once you're done with a panel, use a MF towel to wipe off the QD.

Ice Liquid Clay Bar? What the hell is that? Do any of you other detailers know what that is!?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Ice Liquid Clay Bar? What the hell is that? Do any of you other detailers know what that is!?
Chemically aggressive polish with heavy kaolinite properties. While it may yield some results for some, I think it's a product that you better buy several of if you like it because it won't last in the consumer market as it's not selling - at all.

-RP-

Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Using a clay bar is going to be your best bet. It's not hard either. Just do a panel at a time. Use a bunch of QD and run the clay across the paint. Bead the clay every so often. Once you're done with a panel, use a MF towel to wipe off the QD.

I think ICE is TurtleWax's brand

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,4

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Least aggressive to most aggressive.

Clay
Alcohol/ water or vinegar/ water (50/50)
Polish using machine- start with least aggressive combo and work your way up
Compound- start with least aggressive combo and work your way up
Wet sanding- I dont recommend you do this

Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Suspended
LMAO.. I can't believe two of you thought I was serious!

Quick Reply: Hard water stains on paint