help with salt protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with salt protection

ill be spending my winter here in VT adn they salt the roads worse than any other state i have seen. i have a 98 with out a spec of rust and i want to keep it that way. i was just wondering what you all recommend because almost every truck in this state is rusty. i even see the 04-07 f150s with rust and they're basically still new.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Keep a fresh coat of wax on the truck and wash it as often as you can after the roads have been salted. Good Luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by 600Polaris
ill be spending my winter here in VT adn they salt the roads worse than any other state i have seen. i have a 98 with out a spec of rust and i want to keep it that way. i was just wondering what you all recommend because almost every truck in this state is rusty. i even see the 04-07 f150s with rust and they're basically still new.
When I lived in Ohio everyone had a piece of junk they drove in the winter, and they kept the nice car in the garage. I moved to Texas, and it also solved the problem.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
A few coats of a GOOD sealant, like DG or Klasse. Top that with a couple coats of wax. Theres also an undercoating you can get.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
thanks for the help, i usually wash it constantly during the winter and wax with the primary, secondary and terciary(the third one, i dont know how to spell it) and its black so it shines till i drive it anywhere then looks dirty, but what i am really looking to help is my undercarrige and frame. also the wheel wells where eveything catches and rots out, i was wondering if any of you would recommend an oil bath as well? i plan on having this truck for a long time.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
A few coats of a GOOD sealant, like DG or Klasse. Top that with a couple coats of wax. Theres also an undercoating you can get.
That plus every couple of days (or as often as possible) you should rinse the undercarriage to try to remove as much as possible...

As for brand of sealant, that is less important as much as having several GOOD coats on there-- not thick coats, but complete coverage.

BTW-- to 600Polaris-- it is spelled "tertiary"

Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks f150-sport03, ill remember that spelling...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
When washing pay particular attention to the areas where you see all the other trucks rusting. Rocker panels, inner door panels, fender wells (eyebrow rust). These areas need to rinsed extra, as well as dried.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vermont uses a lot of salt? I don't think so. Try coming to New York State. (Much of the salt on Vermont roads is actually just tracked in from New York State.)

All of the advice you have received is good, but here's something different from somebody who's lived with road salt for longer than I care to admit. Keep the truck away from heated garages. As much as you might think bringing that bad boy in to protect it from the cold Vermont winters will help it, it actually speeds up the process of corrosion.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Vermont uses a lot of salt? I don't think so. Try coming to New York State. (Much of the salt on Vermont roads is actually just tracked in from New York State.)

All of the advice you have received is good, but here's something different from somebody who's lived with road salt for longer than I care to admit. Keep the truck away from heated garages. As much as you might think bringing that bad boy in to protect it from the cold Vermont winters will help it, it actually speeds up the process of corrosion.

Very, very true..... can we say that once the roads dry, they are white from all of the unmelted salt and residue left on the road.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:05 PM
All they use out here in Colorado is magnesium chloride. I've never had any rust problems, but you should see what it did to my old rims . It does bad things to aluminum and chrome.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
During winter here in Ohio I just make sure to get a good coat of wax and rain-x on the truck right before it gets too cold to do so. Also save up your quarters and hit the self serve car wash often once the salt is on the roads. Make sure to thoroughly wash out the undercarriage and any places underneath that collect dirt and crud. Make sure to get up in the wheel-wells and spray up behind the bed sides and rear bumper really well from underneath. Weather permitting, I try to hit the car wash at least once if not twice per week when it's bad. Obviously you can't do that if the roads are still snow covered or wet because it will be right back to salty as soon as you drive it. You might as well forget it if the weather is way below freezing too because your doors will freeze shut...lol...I've done that a time or two, not fun. The automatic car washes are good once inawhile but they don't do a very good job of getting the underneath of your vehicle clean where all the salt and gunk collects the most.

Every spring (and once or twice a year after that) I load up a garden sprayer with a gallon of Fantastik, Simple Green, or 409 and dilute it down to about 50/50 and soak down the underneath of the truck, frame, springs, backs of the wheels/tires, spare tire, everywhere you can reach and rinse it out really well after it soaks for a few minutes as far under there as you can reach with the garden hose. You'd be suprised how much brown, nasty crap and dirty water comes out of there but it sure looks better when it's done.

Last edited by klc317; 10-15-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello. I need more help than this. Living in Central Ontario we don't get many days, during the winter months, that would allow for a car wash. What about those who can't get the truck washed for 2 months....Now what. ANy suggestions?

To date this is my winter prep...

- wash (Simoniz car Wash)
- Meg 3-Step System
- RainX Windsheild and side windows
- Krown Rust Control (sprayed approx. 3 weeks ag0)
- Interior Vaccum
- Interior Armor-All

Is there anything else I should do?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I have not tried this myself (although I probably should) but my buddies dad sprays his entire under body, extra under the doors and wheel wells, with WD40 every oil change. We live in MIchigan and they also use a lot of salt. His trucks seem to last a lot longer then others as far as rust goes. If you read the WD40 can it says rust protection so it makes sense.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I lived in Maine for a couple of years, and when the snowy wintery days of salted roads occurred, as soon as it hit +01c, 33deg f., i would find some way to wash my ranger, with particular attention to rinsing the underside extremely well. crevices where dirt can accumulate are breeding grounds for corrosion, as well as corners of the cabs, door kick panels, etc.
A good coat of wax, right now, will pay off, and also looking around now for where that dirt accumulates underneath, you will have an idea on where you need to rinse when that oh so cold rinse time comes around.
Hope this helps out, and I envy you and your winters!! New England is wonderfull this time of year, just visited Maine saturday and sunday. Wicked good scenery and fall foliage.

Quick Reply: help with salt protection