Water Spots on Glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Spots on Glass

Great forum guys! I've learned a ton about detailing, thanks a million.

My black 06 F-150 has been plagued by water spots since day one. I only used ICE products because of the black trim everywhere but it did nothing for the spots.

Today, after reading most of the C&D threads I bought a Meg's clay bar kit to try it out and rubbed in one spot for 30 minutes wiping clean several times.

The clay bar took out the spots in the small area but I wasn't about to do the whole truck by hand. I used the suppplied cleaner wax to wax the rubbed spot and where the wax overlapped it took off most all the spots.

Ended up doing the whole hood and it looks great !!!! Can't wait to do the rest of the truck. Meg's has my business from now on.

The glass has hard water spots also and I haven't found a thing that will clean them up. They are really rough and are putting too much wear on the seals. Anybody have any ideas for cleaning deposits from glass?

Rick

Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
you can try using a little bit of white vinegar or lemon juice. hey, does the meg's remove spots on chrome bumpers?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 AM
You can try a paste of Bar Keeps Friend (Or Baking soda), White Vinegar, clay, VERY fine steel wool, or a glass polishing kit.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
I have the same problem and cant find anything to remove it. tried everything that was mentioned already plus a razor blade, Kaboom glass cleaner,clay bar, rubbing compound,wd-40, stove top cleaner and others. I went as far as to getting a whole house water filtration system and its even hooked up to my sprinklers. Im at a lost. I just think that its beond repair.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glass can become etched with water spotting. This makes it EXCEEDINGLY difficult to remove (without the proper glass polishing 'stuff' and skills).

If it is on NON-TINTED glass, Bar Keepers Friend (a comet-like powder cleaner), Kaboom bathroom cleaner, or Easy Off BAM will remove most spots that haven't etched into the glass.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU SPRAY THE CHEMICAL ON TO THE GLASS!!!

Spray the chemical on a 'throw-away' rag while you're no where near the vehicle. Mind you, this stuff is fairly caustic and, as such, you should use the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and should *NOT* get it on ANY painted, plastic, or rubber surface. Trust me here!!!

BAM is a great chemical... I love it in the bathroom for EASILY taking off lime scale (our water is next to crunchy) and other 'gunk'.

-RP-

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Glass can become etched with water spotting. This makes it EXCEEDINGLY difficult to remove (without the proper glass polishing 'stuff' and skills).

-RP-
What stuff is this? This would be my last hope. It sucks when I detail the whole truck and the windows look like crap.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
What stuff is this? This would be my last hope. It sucks when I detail the whole truck and the windows look like crap.
Diamondite makes a kit. Google-o-matic it... I think you'll find it quickly. It's been around for a long while...

I've heard good and bad things about it.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Diamondite makes a kit. Google-o-matic it... I think you'll find it quickly. It's been around for a long while...

I've heard good and bad things about it.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by t-rev
you can try using a little bit of white vinegar or lemon juice. hey, does the meg's remove spots on chrome bumpers?

Haven't done the bumpers yet but they weren't that bad. The paint was bad with spots. I am truly amazed how easily Meg's cleaner wax removed them considering how hard and long I clay barred a foot square spot to remove them. Shouldn't have any problem on chrome though.

I tried vinegar, Meg's and a few other things on the glass also, nothing seems to phase the spots. After a very close inspection it seems the spots follow the same pattern as the tempering, like the pattern it would make if the window was broken. I wonder if the tempering has anything to do with the spots.

Thanks for the help,
Rick

Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I have had some very good results using Megs #2 Fine Cut on water spots on glass. I use it by hand and rotary. You might try that. I have also read where people use #4 Heavy Cut and a rotary on their glass as well.

Tic

Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey guys im having the same difficulty...this is my plan of action..im going to tape off my trim all the way down about two or three inches on all sides and bring out my steam cleaner with a 64:1 dilution (waterroduct) of Meg's D-line all purpose cleaner plus and steam them to see if i can break up some of the deposits..the steam cleaner i am ordering heats the water to 270 degrees..im hoping i can melt some of it off and then clean with MEg's D-line glass cleaner (love that stuff)...rockpick, rollingrock, f150sport, or gipraw...what do you think about this? I know it will be important to keep the all purpose cleaner off of the paint...i will probably tape a towel all the way down to the trim....

Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Hey guys im having the same difficulty...this is my plan of action..im going to tape off my trim all the way down about two or three inches on all sides and bring out my steam cleaner with a 64:1 dilution (waterroduct) of Meg's D-line all purpose cleaner plus and steam them to see if i can break up some of the deposits..the steam cleaner i am ordering heats the water to 270 degrees..im hoping i can melt some of it off and then clean with MEg's D-line glass cleaner (love that stuff)...rockpick, rollingrock, f150sport, or gipraw...what do you think about this? I know it will be important to keep the all purpose cleaner off of the paint...i will probably tape a towel all the way down to the trim....
Sounds risky, but it just might work. The only caution I have for you is that there may be a bit of "run-off"...ie: the steam starts forming water, bringing the pruduct to run down the paint... It may not pose a problem, and I understand that the tape would help, but it is a caution nonetheless. But, your towel may be suffient to stop this (I want a steam cleaner, but have never used one, so I may sound retarded...)

Other than that, I figure if it is deposits, a MUCH easier route would be to use a claybar. However, if it is etched, neither your steam cleaner or clay will solve it...

I probably sound really stupid right now, so I am going to sleep.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
"Barkeepers Friend" worked wonders on the glass. Looks as new.

Mega thanks to those who recommended it.

Rick
Pensacola

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
This is what I use on my boat's gelcoat to remove waterspot's

http://www.babesboats.com/prodSpotSolver.php

Quick Reply: Water Spots on Glass