Scratch-X, Megs #80, Wet Sanding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch-X, Megs #80, Wet Sanding?

First off let me say I love reading this forum and love to see all the magic that RockPick, RollingRock, and all the others can do to make a vehicle look better than when it rolled of the show room floor. I never post here though because, as the picture I'm about to show you shows , I am pretty hard on my truck and never knew how to wash it properly, let alone detail it, before I started reading this forum about 6 months ago.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...554&anum=14350

Now I hope it's not to late. I'm ordering the #2 package deal from the website every one says to buy from (can't recall the web address at this time) to get a PC and all the pads and other things in order to do a proper noob job on my truck. 99% of all the scratches come from going down trails that have willows, pine branches, aspens, and many other forms of greenery a little to close to the trail for a full size truck to fit down. None of them appear to be more than surface scratches to the clear coat, but they cover the whole truck besides the tailgate, hood, and top of the cab. So my questions is, should I even attempt to do the whole truck by hand using Scratch-X on every single scratch or should I wait for the PC and use Megs #80? Please tell me I don't have to wet sand the whole thing. RockPick quoted my use of the word "fugly" the other day on the puke green SEMA truck, I just don't want him to use it to describe my truck.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I would suggest NOT wet sanding unless you have a lot of experience and it's the last resort.

The PC would be the way to go. Since you are getting some #80, I would always start with that and the Megs 8006 polishing pad. It might take multiple passes but you can accomplish quite a bit with some time and the right technique.

If the #80 doesn't seem to be cutting it fast enough get some #83. It’s the most aggressive compound/polish Meguiars recommends. It would probably be a good idea to always have some #83 on hand regardless. Number 83 does take longer to learn how to use but it’s a very good product once you do.

Good luck and post some pictures..

Tic

Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Ticman. And by-the-by, I would love the 18+/- page sticky that was so lovingly created by some of our more famous members... RR or RP? Thanks in advance. thumperexc@hotmail.com

Old 10-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperEXC
First off let me say I love reading this forum and love to see all the magic that RockPick, RollingRock, and all the others can do to make a vehicle look better than when it rolled of the show room floor. I never post here though because, as the picture I'm about to show you shows , I am pretty hard on my truck and never knew how to wash it properly, let alone detail it, before I started reading this forum about 6 months ago.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...554&anum=14350

Now I hope it's not to late. I'm ordering the #2 package deal from the website every one says to buy from (can't recall the web address at this time) to get a PC and all the pads and other things in order to do a proper noob job on my truck. 99% of all the scratches come from going down trails that have willows, pine branches, aspens, and many other forms of greenery a little to close to the trail for a full size truck to fit down. None of them appear to be more than surface scratches to the clear coat, but they cover the whole truck besides the tailgate, hood, and top of the cab. So my questions is, should I even attempt to do the whole truck by hand using Scratch-X on every single scratch or should I wait for the PC and use Megs #80? Please tell me I don't have to wet sand the whole thing. RockPick quoted my use of the word "fugly" the other day on the puke green SEMA truck, I just don't want him to use it to describe my truck.

Thanks for the kudos.

I am hunting right now but I have looked at your photo granted just glanced at it. Cannot tell how deep those marks are. Knee jerk reaction....It screams Poorboys SSR3 with a yellow Lake pad and a 12 pack of beer.

Stay away from wetsanding right now...least aggressive first but I would jump right to PB SSR3. Once that is done, you will have to polish out the SSR3 with SSR2 or SSR1.

Or you could also try using Optimum Compound+ or multiple passes with Megs 80 or 82, but you have to go slow and really let the product breakdown. If this was my truck I would use Poorboys SSR's on it first.

Just my opinion but I would defer to Rockpick as I am limited on how I can look at it and time while hunting.

I will be back to my house on Sunday. I will check back and see the responses later.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Suspended
I agree it's going to take patience and time with whatever route you take if you want to get it looking good. I've never used Poorboys stuff so I can't vouch for their product line. I'm a Meguiar kind of guy so I'd say use #80. But take RR's advice to let the product break down and go SLOWLY across the paint. It's going to take a few applications before you get it looking good. Sight unseen it's hard to address paint issues, IMO.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Hard to tell with that one picture, but if it is as bad as it looked to be, I would recommend starting with a 7006 pad and #80 for the first pass, then another pass or two (if needed) with a 8006 pad and #80 .. then one with a 8006 and #9

The 7006 wil cause some slight micromarring, but the next pass with the 8006 will take care of it.

then some #21 or NXT, topped with a Carnuaba like #26

Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Hard to tell with that one picture, but if it is as bad as it looked to be, I would recommend starting with a 7006 pad and #80 for the first pass, then another pass or two (if needed) with a 8006 pad and #80 .. then one with a 8006 and #9

The 7006 wil cause some slight micromarring, but the next pass with the 8006 will take care of it.

then some #21 or NXT, topped with a Carnuaba like #26
Sorry about the delay in response...

I'd go at it with EXACTLY what Gip mentioned here. #80, IMO, will get that. Be PATIENT AND DON'T EXPECT IMMEDIATE MIRACLES! PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks to all for the info. I'll be ordering all the stuff today or tomorrow: (someone said you could call the guy and swap out the NXT stuff for Megs? Should I do so or just keep the NXT?)

Package #2 DA Polisher NXT Speed Kit
1 Meguiar's G100 Polisher (Lifetime Warranty)
1 Backing Plate.
2 W8006 Foam Polishing Pad
1 W9006 Foam Finishing Pad
2 Ultimate DA Microfiber Bonnets
1 Meguiar's Clay Bar (Small)
1 M8032 Speed Glaze 32 oz.
1 G12718 NXT Tech Wax 18 oz. (Comes with 1 Applicator Pad)
1 G13224 NXT Speed Detailer 24 oz.
3 16 x 16 Microfiber Towels
1 Duffel Bag
$219.95
Grit Guard Blue (2) (already have the buckets)
$15.95
W-7006.....6.5" 1 Pad (For DA Polishers)
Internet Special $8.95
#80 Speed Glaze
32 oz $13.99
#9 Swirl Remover
16 oz $9.49
#21 Synthetic Sealant
16 oz. $15.99
#26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
16 oz. $10.99
12 pack of beer (thanks for the reminder RR)
priceless

How does the list sound for a first time detailing? What kind of soap should I use to wash it? Anything I should add to the list or order extra of... clay bars, microfiber towels, etc....This will be my first and last detailing until May or so, it's already averaging around 50 for a day time high and that will move down to about 15 as a high in the next month or so and I dont have a big enough garage for my truck to do it inside. I promise I'll experiment with your Poorboy stuff in the spring RR. Soon as I hear back from some of you I'll place the order. And I promise to take a bunch of before and after shots. Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for the help.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
That looks pretty good....but I think you are going to need more MF towels.

I use several when claying but not required I suppose.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperEXC
<snip>
2 W8006 Foam Polishing Pad
I'd snare one or two more...

1 W9006 Foam Finishing Pad
I'd snare one or two more...

2 Ultimate DA Microfiber Bonnets
Personal opinion here but, I'd request the upgrade from bonnet to regular towel -- I just don't like bonnets. Again, personal opinion.

1 G12718 NXT Tech Wax 18 oz. (Comes with 1 Applicator Pad)
1 G13224 NXT Speed Detailer 24 oz.
I wouldn't swap the Tech Wax (super simple to use, very good durability for a consumer product and is pretty 'tried and true'. I think Speed Detailer is GARBAGE. I'd honestly ask that it be swapped for Quik Detailer or upgrade to Ultimate Quik Detailer.

3 16 x 16 Microfiber Towels
See aforementioned comment on bonnets or comment from RR. You'll want more.
Grit Guard Blue (2) (already have the buckets)
$15.95

W-7006.....6.5" 1 Pad (For DA Polishers)
Internet Special $8.95
Not highly recommended for the DA.

How does the list sound for a first time detailing?
Not too shabby. It's a heck of a good jump start and you've basically got a product that can deal with just about any 'average' flaw that can be addressed with the DA.

What kind of soap should I use to wash it?
Consider using the very commonly available Meguiar's Gold Class. Very fairly priced, can be bought in decent bulk, and is a VERY good soap.

Anything I should add to the list or order extra of... clay bars, microfiber towels, etc....
I think you're set. Clay bars can be bought at just about any 'mart' store in a kit which is typically just as economical as buying them from Rick.

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for the help.
That's why we're here. Be sure to mention to Rick that the guys over at f150online.com sent you his way!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I'll be calling in the order this afternoon. Anyway I could get the sticky on detailing sent to my hotmail account?

Quick Reply: Scratch-X, Megs #80, Wet Sanding?