getting by till spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting by till spring?

I'm new to the detailing stuff and am trying to learn. I have requested the sticky and plan to read up on it.

For right now I don't have a PC so am not looking to do a full out detail but want to protect my truck for the winter. Any ideas on what steps and products I can use to get me by till spring. Hopefully by then I will have saved enough to buy everything needed to do a full detail. Thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Take a look at this thread and see if it answers your question.

Winter Protection

Old 10-12-2007, 05:24 PM
so i need to use a sealer on it then wax?

Last edited by DougFunnie13; 10-12-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Not necessarily... It depends:

Where do you live? If it is dreadfully cold where you live ALL winter, then yes, you will want 2 coats of a synthetic and 2 of a carnauba.

BUT-- If you think that you are going to have a day that is at least 50 degrees, then you can get by with only a sealant.

Keep in mind that a good sealant is useful for 3 months or so. However, some places have really harsh winters that eat away at the waxes a lot faster (it also depends on the frequency of washes, chemicals used, etc)

Here in North TX, you can scrape by with a coat of NXT for the winter, and reapply it every time the temp is 55 or so degrees. (However, I do a full out for the winter)

If you are looking for a very cheap solution to tide you over until the winter is over, you may want to look at one of the following:

NXT
Mothers Synwax (Comprable to NXT)
Nattys White
etc

And if you want to add some natural waxes on top, I would go for one of the following:
Step 3 from the Deep Crystal System
Nattys Blue or Red
etc.

HINT: For both types of waxes, use THIN coats. Remember that in the removal phase, you are taking off all but a couple of microns worth of wax. Wnsure that you have even coverage, but dont waste the product or the time (and risk of swirls/straight line scratches/micromarring) by having too much product, causing the towel to load...

Other than that, please feel free to search around and ask more questions

Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the response...very helpful.

Do I need any kind of cleaner wax or anything before I use the sealant? Last time I just used the mothers cleaner (carnaba) wax and thats it. But if I use the sealant and then want to add natural wax then I should not use this over it correct? I need just pure carnaba wax only?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
also, do i need to wait 12 hours between coats on the sealant?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM
No, if you do a cleaner wax before the sealant, the sealant will not bond properly. BUT-- if you are interested in the same cleaning/shining action of a CW, you can get the step 1 of the DC system to do. This is a very easy thing to use, and works well in combination with NXT and step 3 (in that order).

If you opt to go CW and carnauba, do it in that order.

Yes, you need to wait 12 hours between coats of a synthetic. The only exception is that if you are applying 2x for strictly even coverage. I do 2 coats back to back just to ensure the full coverage, but if you want the extra protection, you need to wait. (This may not be as effective with NXT because NXT has mild cleaners in it.)

If it was me, which it was a couple of years ago, I would take step 1 from the DC system, NXT twice, then Step 3 twice. This is a pretty easy detail to do by hand, and is really cheap for the results you get.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
ok, got the step 1 and 3 of the DC system and some NXT. Just out of curiosity where does step 2 of that system fit in this? Does the NXT substitute that step? Thanks again for your help. Think I'm going to have sore arm this week.

Last edited by DougFunnie13; 10-13-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by DougFunnie13
ok, got the step 1 and 3 of the DC system and some NXT. Just out of curiosity where does step 2 of that system fit in this? Does the NXT substitute that step? Thanks again for your help. Think I'm going to have sore arm this week.
Step 2 wont work properly if you use NXT... NXT has some mild cleaners and VERY light abrasives, but enough so as to undo the step 2. It does, though, have a bit of a polishing agent in it, so you are covered there.

Yeah, your arm will be a trifle sore, but it will be VERY worth it

Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 PM
ok, i got the cleaner and the first coat of NXT on last night, but then it rained on it this morning. Did that mess anything up? Or can I just wash my truck and then continue on with the second coat?

Also, what would you reccommend for the nerf bars and wheels for protection? Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DougFunnie13
ok, i got the cleaner and the first coat of NXT on last night, but then it rained on it this morning. Did that mess anything up? Or can I just wash my truck and then continue on with the second coat?

Also, what would you reccommend for the nerf bars and wheels for protection? Thanks
Not the end of the world on the rain... no big worries. Go ahead and move forward with your second coat (once you assure that the paint is absolutely clean). The first coat will not have 'washed off' with the rain. You're good....

As for bars and wheels... use the NXT.

Quick Reply: getting by till spring?