Waxing Old Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing Old Paint

In addition to my nice shiney '01 Lariat, I have a '68 F-100. The truck was repainted about 15 years ago. The paint was oxidized pretty bad when I got it from my dad. I've waxed and waxed (NXT) without much luck. My friend gave me a little Raindance and it did a pretty good job of removing the oxidized paint. The problem is that Raindance is kind of hard to come by.

What do the gurus suggest for removing oxidized paint and getting a little more shine on the old truck?

Cooter

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Get some pics for us... Other than that, try a cleaner wax if you want something easy. But with pics and an outline of how much time and $ you are willing to spend will let us know what to tell you

Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh I want to seen pics..

I suspect there is no clear on this paint. Photos please...

Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is what is called SINGLE STAGE paint (or, at least it's highly likely that it's single stage unless you've had it sprayed since about 1990'ish).

Single stage is a type of paint that is full of soilds and, by the name, obviously lacks clear coating. As such, you're working on a painted surface (color) rather than on a clear painted surface (clear coat).

The difference is that single stage is a tad more difficult to work on, is typically more inconsistant from a film-build standpoint (burn through) and can readily THRASH equipment because everything that you use to apply and remove will be the color of your paint...

We'll hang tight waiting on if it's single-stage... I bet it is though.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Yea, I'm almost certain that there is no clear coat on the paint. When I have waxed in the past, the applicator turns orange from the paint. I'm at work now so I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Waxing Old Paint