3 days into it

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days into it

Started the super-detail job on my black/chrome 06 Monday morning and I just got stopped by rain. I claybarred the paint and I am using Meg's 3 step system with 2 coats of NXT before the 2 coats of carnauba wax. I only got the roof waxed before the rain started. Man that NXT is a bear to remove by hand.

The paint looks better than new already. All the waterspots are gone and it's smooth as glass. If I knew how to post pics on here (computer idiot) I'd take one of the finished product. I'm really impressed with meg's products. The chrome wheel cleaner is amazing and everything else I've used works great. I found that step 1, the paint cleaner, works great on the window trim. It makes it look new and gets rid of the faded look. Use a seperate rag though as it turns it nasty black.

I don't know how much good it does applying these products by hand, but I feel that at least I will have a good base. It's a workout doing it hand for sure.

Rick

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I am using Meg's 3 step system with 2 coats of NXT
The NXT has some cleaners in it-- you might get a little bit of benefit, but for future reference, the step 2 before NXT is a bit wasteful (however, since I still have some left, I still do it occasionally to use it up)
Man that NXT is a bear to remove by hand
Not really-- I think you are applying too thick and/or are not letting it dry properly. Search "Finger Swipe Test"
If I knew how to post pics on here (computer idiot) I'd take one of the finished product
1. Take picture
2. Save to computer
3. Upload into Gallery
4. Hyperlink it or use the post picture funtion ( I suck at explaining this-- somebody else can jump in here)

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your results. And yes, the results by hand are a GREAT base to start with (until you get a DA and make life easier for yourself).
I found that step 1, the paint cleaner, works great on the window trim. It makes it look new and gets rid of the faded look. Use a seperate rag though as it turns it nasty black.
Hmmm... Never thought about doing that. RP? Whatcha think here?

Again, glad to hear you are pleased, and I cant wait to see pics.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your using too much NXT. Very thin coats.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Just finished with Megs 80 and 16 keep at it as you will be glad you did

2006 FX4 with decals removed

Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2veloce
Just finished with Megs 80 and 16 keep at it as you will be glad you did
#16 is a VERY tough product to find these days... Unless you're in my stash...

As for the paint cleaner on trim -- haven't tried it. My hunch is that the polishing oils that are in the product are causing the darkening effects and that it'll be very temporary on trim.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Yep, that was my thought also Rock. But nothing else I've ever used on black trim ever lasted very long anyway. I did use some Meg's 40 on it but it didn't help much, Back to Black didn't either. Also runs after rain or dew.

Rick

Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, that was my thought also Rock. But nothing else I've ever used on black trim ever lasted very long anyway. I did use some Meg's 40 on it but it didn't help much, Back to Black didn't either. Also runs after rain or dew.

Rick

Interesting tidbit of data though... I appreciate you sharing it with us. Keep me posted on how the 'look' holds up.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
The NXT has some cleaners in it-- you might get a little bit of benefit, but for future reference, the step 2 before NXT is a bit wasteful (however, since I still have some left, I still do it occasionally to use it up)

Not really-- I think you are applying too thick and/or are not letting it dry properly. Search "Finger Swipe Test"

1. Take picture
2. Save to computer
3. Upload into Gallery
4. Hyperlink it or use the post picture funtion ( I suck at explaining this-- somebody else can jump in here)

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your results. And yes, the results by hand are a GREAT base to start with (until you get a DA and make life easier for yourself).

Hmmm... Never thought about doing that. RP? Whatcha think here?

Again, glad to hear you are pleased, and I cant wait to see pics.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...025&anum=14605 There is more to it I can get a link but not the picture.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by FALCON50EX
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...025&anum=14605 There is more to it I can get a link but not the picture.
uuuhhhh.... I dunno... I usually just leave them in my gallery. I know, though, that RR and RP and MANY others do know... Sorry, bud.

BTW-- thats a sweet pic of the bird.

Quick Reply: 3 days into it