Clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar?

I hadn't heard of it til I discovered this forum. I've heard alot of guys here mentioning it, so I am curious about it. What it is and when is it done? I know the traditional cleaner wax, polish, and sealer steps, but not the clay bar. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Well claying a vehicle is a necessary step to prep the paint for polish/sealant/or wax. It is to remove the environmental contaminants that has accumulated on your paint...so you dont just seal and grind them into paint when putting on/taking off wax. These kits are available at any auto parts store as well as walmart...meguiar's and mothers are brands that i like...just lubricate with the quick detail spray that comes in the box and move gently side to side and up and down on a 2x2 panel...then wipe clean...then you are ready to proceed to a polish, then sealant, then carnauba wax...hope this helped

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I hate to give such a cop-out answer, but do a search.

Also, I will say that you should DEFINATELY clay your truck. Follow the instructions on the box-- really easy.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stud_135
Well claying a vehicle is a necessary step to prep the paint for polish/sealant/or wax. It is to remove the environmental contaminants that has accumulated on your paint...so you dont just seal and grind them into paint when putting on/taking off wax. These kits are available at any auto parts store as well as walmart...meguiar's and mothers are brands that i like...just lubricate with the quick detail spray that comes in the box and move gently side to side and up and down on a 2x2 panel...then wipe clean...then you are ready to proceed to a polish, then sealant, then carnauba wax...hope this helped
So much for the Ford Factory manual that specifically states avpoid the use of clay bars and recommends 2 different chemicals for removing those contaminents! While clay bars do remove the most of the contaminents, it does so by removing the paint- just like color sanding but much more gentle. There is little justification of paints that are less than 5 years old to use claybar on them when there are products readily available that actually remove and neutralize these contaminents without removing one spec of paint!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
So much for the Ford Factory manual that specifically states avpoid the use of clay bars and recommends 2 different chemicals for removing those contaminents! While clay bars do remove the most of the contaminents, it does so by removing the paint- just like color sanding but much more gentle. There is little justification of paints that are less than 5 years old to use claybar on them when there are products readily available that actually remove and neutralize these contaminents without removing one spec of paint!
*ducks and covers*

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Suspended
LMAO!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Not sure really how to take this post.

Lets take the high road approach. What manual are you reading from? Year make and model. Also please take a photo of that page and post here so we can all see it. BTW, what are the two recommended chemicals from that same manual and page?

After that we can submit a memo to all the detailers and weekend warriors in the world to stop using clay bars on Ford paint. (sarcasm disclaimer)

On new paint, yes don't clay it until it is cured. Which is 30-60 days pending condition of environment.

Did you have alternative reason why you posted what you did? If so I would love to hear it, so would the countless others. I am just curious. Not trying to be an a-hole but you need to back your post up because this is some of the worst advice I have seen here in a while. My fear is that this could be confusing those seeking advice from well trained, experienced professionals and car care enthusiasts.

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-17-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Not sure really how to take this post.

Lets take the high road approach. What manual are you reading from? Year make and model. Also please take a photo of that page and post here so we can all see it. BTW, what are the two recommended chemicals from that same manual and page?

After that we can submit a memo to all the detailers and weekend warriors in the world to stop using clay bars on Ford paint. (sarcasm disclaimer)

On new paint, yes don't clay it until it is cured. Which is 30-60 days pending condition of environment.

Did you have alternative reason why you posted what you did? If so I would love to hear it, so would the countless others. I am just curious. Not trying to be an a-hole but you need to back your post up because this is some of the worst advice I have seen here in a while. My fear is that this could be confusing those seeking advice from well trained, experienced professionals and car care enthusiasts.
x2. I'm also new to the whole clay bar thing, so I'm very intrested in beechkid's response!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My first guess for the two chemicals is - WD40 and TSP

Second guess (more 'sudsy') - Rolling Rock beer, finishing with Bud lite - lol (j/k, RR)

Beech - "you know not where you tread" - check the bottom of your sneakers fer doo-doo .....

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-18-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Beechkid, you are so far out in left field here...

First off, clay doe NOT remove paint. If your clay is removing paint, you are picking up clay from your garden. Clay is specifically designed to be abrasive, yes, but what it does is gently LIFT the bonded contaminates from the paint. When you are claying and you see the crap on the clay, that is NOT paint-- that is the crap on the metal.

Aside from the science that we all know behind most of the chemicals we discuss here, it is CRUCIAL to back up what you say with hard facts. (Unless it is a well known fact, of course, like the fact that #9 offers fillers, etc...)

Now, what you have said is TOTALLY wrong. When you take your truck to Ford and have them detail it, they will likely clay it. How do I know? Well, clay is known to the world as the "smooth as glass treatment", and one part of their sales pitch was to say that they would make your paint just that.

As was said before-- you know not where you tread. If I was you, I would duck and cover, or even run, because you have jumped way off the deep end without your floaties.

Just out of curiosity, how lng have you been a detailer? I have been for a while, but people like Gipraw and Rock Pick are PROFESSIONALS, and have been doing this for YEARS.

So lets take another perspective. The Europeans are lightyears ahead of us in detailing. EVERY time, they ALWAYS start with washing and (surprise, surprise) CLAYING. It is a CRITICAL step to proper prepping of the paint for fiurther action.

Since I am tired of thinking about this, I am done, but be prepared. As for the rest of you, please, bring it on to this crazy fool.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Suspended
I thought it was normal, all this time when the paint was coming off of my truck into the Clay!!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I thought it was normal, all this time when the paint was coming off of my truck into the Clay!!

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-18-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To the OP...

Definitely try a quick search. Lots and lots and lots of information here on claying a vehicle, what it does and how it achieves it. One of the responses above is *VERY* off-base with information so, I'll let you read and retrieve what you'd like to take to the bank and what you'd like to leave in the Ford manual. I'm simply not going to bother to respond to ludicrous 'wet-sanding' comparisons.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Suspended
Damn, he pulled a asinatra. Dropped the bomb and he's no where to be found!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Damn, he pulled a asinatra. Dropped the bomb and he's no where to be found!
I did some digging on his other posts. Same thing.

Some were laugh out loud funny too.

Quick Reply: Clay bar?