Cleaning Mag Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Cleaning Mag Rims

So, I finally got around to cleaning the rims on my Dakota. I don't know what possessed me not to clean them for the longest time.

Anyhow, I went out and bought some Mother's Mag & Alumium Wheel Polish... like a large container of it.

So I went home and I parked it in the garage, and I started cleaning the passenger front rim. Ok... let me tell you something... I barely cleaned 1 spoke, and I was tired. Like my hand was going to fall off. I then decided to jack the truck up, and just take off the rim so I could work on it on my bench. So I take it off and I put it on the workbench. I start cleaning it... and cleaning it, and rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing...................and rubbing. After using 1/4 if not more of that large container of the Mother's Polish, my rim looked barely like new. But it looked 100000X better than it did. I spent about 2 hours just cleaning that one rim to get it looking decent. Not to mention my hands smelled like I was handling pennies all day and blacker than if I stuck my hand in a chimney.

However, the results are worth a 1,000 words.

I plan on doing 1 rim a day. By next Monday when I take it for my next drive, it will look like one sick truck...

Here are the results of 2 hours: (If you look close at the bottom picture, you will see my F150 parked next to it!!)

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-18-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct, mothers polish is the best thing on the market. if anyone ever says otherwise just take an empty soda can flip it over and polish the bottom of it even they come out looking like chrome.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeez - just go out and buy a PowerBall and be done with it ....

http://www.mothers.com/products/prod...ower_prod.html

You would have been done with all four in a matter of minutes.

Don't foget to apply a good wheel wax.

And - don't neglect them fer so long next time

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Jeez - just go out and buy a PowerBall and be done with it ....

http://www.mothers.com/products/prod...ower_prod.html

You would have been done with all four in a matter of minutes.

Don't foget to apply a good wheel wax.

And - don't neglect them fer so long next time
Hmm.. I saw that next to the polish stuff...

I thought those were a joke... I guess not.

Thanks for the reminder to get some wheel wax.

Yeah, you are 100% right about not neglecting them for so long... I haven't polished them in about 1 and 1/2 years.... maybe even 2 years now. They had all these little water stains, markings, and road gunk on them. I am surprised at how well that Mother's stuff works.

I guess they don't lie when it says, "There's No Shine Like Mothers" on the top of the container...

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-18-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Hmm.. I saw that next to the polish stuff...

I thought those were a joke... I guess not.

Thanks for the reminder to get some wheel wax.

Yeah, you are 100% right about not neglecting them for so long... I haven't polished them in about 1 and 1/2 years.... maybe even 2 years now. They had all these little water stains, markings, and road gunk on them. I am surprised at how well that Mother's stuff works.

I guess they don't lie when it says, "There's No Shine Like Mothers" on the top of the container...
Still get a 'Ball and go over them all again - even after hand-polishing, you will be amazed at how much more shine using one will net you.

BTW - maybe ask a Mod to move this to the Detailing section - you'll get a ton more good advice, instead of a n00b like me. Prolly from those same Mod's, in fact!

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-18-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Contributor
Still get a 'Ball and go over them all again - even after hand-polishing, you will be amazed at how much more shine using one will net you.

BTW - maybe ask a Mod to move this to the Detailing section - you'll get a ton more good advice, instead of a n00b like me. Prolly from those same Mod's, in fact!
I'll give it a shot...

Here's another one I did tonight... all I can say is that it is a ton of work.... hopefully that ball will help.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - maybe ask a Mod to move this to the Detailing section ...
Good idea.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Contributor
Well... it's NOT a Ford... but since it's just rims, and the only thing it has to do with a Dodge is the lug holes, then I guess it could go under detailing... I suppose. I guess I'll ask RockPick to move it, since he's the detailing genious.

Sent Rockpick a PM...

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-18-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Mag Rims