First Detail Job - Just Checking Too Be Sure I'm Correct

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cvc14
I am going to check out those Lake Country Pads also... Thanks
IF you get them, get the VC pads. They have a plastic lip on the inside of the pad. Helps keep the backing plate from coming through the pad on angles etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Where can i get this 20 pg detailing guide, I want to read up and be ready for when i get home to my new rig........first thing im gonna do is a full detail so I can introduce myself to every inch of the truck

Old 11-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Post your email address and it will be emailed to you.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Just sent you a copy of the one that was emailed to me...I'm still reading it.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Hmmm... Well, it seems that before I got to it everything was answered in the same ways I would have answered (and more)... I cant wait to see the pics of the detailing that you all will be doing

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks RAMNJ i got it

Looks like im gonna have to invest in the Porter Cable, otherwise that would make for a long long day, Ive done it by hand before minus the polishing and it took way too much effort

Old 11-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by stuckiniraq
Thanks RAMNJ i got it

Looks like im gonna have to invest in the Porter Cable, otherwise that would make for a long long day, Ive done it by hand before minus the polishing and it took way too much effort
Yeah-- the PC makes all the difference. I have done a LOT of details by hand, partially for people that think that machines are bad, some from before I stole JP's PC, and then the X-TERRA detail in my gallery-- done to show that (in spite of all the extra work) GREAT results can be attained by hand. It just takes ALL DAY, and you end up with VERY sore arms...

PC's make it quick(er) and Easy(er)... I think you should get one and some LC pads (Alternately, you could get the G-100 and a set of pads from Rick at ADS).

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Wax??

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Good catch .. I missed that ..

Sealant, then wax ..
Gip,
I am in the same place as the first post but I have a black 07 crew. I have read a lot of good stuff about Collinite Liquid Insulator wax #845. Would that work better on the black for that wet look and durability or is the wet look from the polish and not the wax? The wax is for overall protection?

I found a PC 7424 for 95$ + 10$ shipping.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite.ht...FRJgWAodxjOYXw

Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by FALCON50EX
Gip,
I am in the same place as the first post but I have a black 07 crew. I have read a lot of good stuff about Collinite Liquid Insulator wax #845. Would that work better on the black for that wet look and durability or is the wet look from the polish and not the wax? The wax is for overall protection?

Well, I am not Gip, but I can answer most of this...

CIW is GREAT on durablility, and offers some of the wetness associated with a carnauba. However, it is not going to have the wetness/depth that you see with the Natty's line or #26. Most of the depth and wetness are going to come from the polishing stage. The wax will give the protection and increase shine, yes.

Note: the wax is a sacrificial coating. Rather than letting your clearcoat be the sacrificial barrier, we wax to keep the clearcoat alive. BUT-- it does help to enhance the gloss and depth of the shine.

That help?

As for the PC, I would say that's a good deal. dont forget, though, that you still have to get pads for it.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:11 AM
wax

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Well, I am not Gip, but I can answer most of this...

CIW is GREAT on durablility, and offers some of the wetness associated with a carnauba. However, it is not going to have the wetness/depth that you see with the Natty's line or #26. Most of the depth and wetness are going to come from the polishing stage. The wax will give the protection and increase shine, yes.

Note: the wax is a sacrificial coating. Rather than letting your clearcoat be the sacrificial barrier, we wax to keep the clearcoat alive. BUT-- it does help to enhance the gloss and depth of the shine.

That help?

As for the PC, I would say that's a good deal. dont forget, though, that you still have to get pads for it.
Natty's line is that from PB? Would it hurt to place the Natty's on then the CIW as the last step for its great protection.

Thanks again for the help

Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Yeah-- the PC makes all the difference. I have done a LOT of details by hand, partially for people that think that machines are bad, some from before I stole JP's PC, and then the X-TERRA detail in my gallery-- done to show that (in spite of all the extra work) GREAT results can be attained by hand. It just takes ALL DAY, and you end up with VERY sore arms...

PC's make it quick(er) and Easy(er)... I think you should get one and some LC pads (Alternately, you could get the G-100 and a set of pads from Rick at ADS).
Is the G-100 the same equipment as the PC 7424...........if not then whats the difference

Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Pc

Originally Posted by stuckiniraq
Is the G-100 the same equipment as the PC 7424...........if not then whats the difference
I call CP they said their is only one Polisher made by PC. Megs puts their name on it and calls it a G-100 and say they give a life time warranty on it but i have not read the warranty. I am still looking for a PC and gathering info others chime in
Off to work I go

Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by FALCON50EX
Gip,

While you can't argue with the durability of the 845, I perosnally think there are better choices for darker colors. #21 or Tropi-care TC-3 topped with a nice carnauba would be my choice .. meg's #26, or Mother's Pure or some of the PB's there are several good choices for a puire carnauba to finish with.

seems like a good price on the PC .. but before you buy .. do a total cost check .. what will it cost you to get everythign you need .. PC, backing plate, counterweight (if not included) then compare to the packages Rick has at ADS . I think you might find them close enough to warrant spending the extra $10 or so to get the warranty that comes with the G100.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:44 PM
So Gip, what do you think of his idea of doing Nattys then 845, to get the looks then protection? Or is the 845 going to diminish the looks of the Nattys?

Quick Reply: First Detail Job - Just Checking Too Be Sure I'm Correct