First Detail Job - Just Checking Too Be Sure I'm Correct

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Detail Job - Just Checking Too Be Sure I'm Correct

Hey Guys, I've been reading the posts and have recieved the 18 pg. tutorial. So this weekend, I will hopefully begin my first true detailing job on my truck. You can take a look at it in my picture album, but it is the dark stone metallic w/ pueblo gold at the bottom. Anyways, I was wondering if the following steps and products are correct or if I need to make a change? Also how well will these products work if I apply them by hand, as I'm not sure I will have a PC7424 before this weekend. Thanks in advance

WASH
1. Poorboys Bug Squash for road kill
2. Wesleys Bleache-White for tires
3. Mequiars Gold Class shampoo
DRY
1. Paint foam squeegee
2. MF towel for door jambs, wheels
CLAY
1. Mequiars clay bar kit
2. MF towels to dry
PAINT PREP
1. P21s Paintwork Lotion
2. Poorboys World Polish w/ carnauba (blue)
WAX
1. Poorboys EX-P Sealant
2. Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax (blue)
3. Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Windows
1. Stoners Invisible Glass
Exterior Trim
1. Mothers Back-to-Black

Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
watch the wesley's .. it does a great job, but it is a bad, bad, bad chemical .. better suggestion would be simple green and a stiff brush.

absolutely not on the Mother's back to black .. it is useless. probably my least favorite product on the market today.

Vinylex, or Meg's # 40, or 303 Aerospace.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I've just become a huge fan of Meg's #40... awesome stuff!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
watch the wesley's .. it does a great job, but it is a bad, bad, bad chemical .. better suggestion would be simple green and a stiff brush.

absolutely not on the Mother's back to black .. it is useless. probably my least favorite product on the market today.

X2

I'm not a big #40 fan. It's the best that I have in my box, but I havn't really used anything that I "really" like on trim yet. Still trying stuff out as I can get them.

One of the more proffesional people might chime in. But, would a sealant work correctly with a coat of carnauba wax already on it? Just a thought.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will switch out the Westleys for some Simple Green on the wheels. However previous experience has taught me that Westleys works great at cleaing the wheel wells. Between the Vinylex and Megs #40, I read that Vinylex is a silicone protectant. I thought that silicone was bad. Most of the other products like to state that they are silicone free. I could be confused , but just wondering.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
One of the more proffesional people might chime in. But, would a sealant work correctly with a coat of carnauba wax already on it? Just a thought.
Good catch .. I missed that ..

Sealant, then wax ..

Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by CH2500
Hey Guys, I've been reading the posts and have recieved the 18 pg. tutorial. So this weekend, I will hopefully begin my first true detailing job on my truck. You can take a look at it in my picture album, but it is the dark stone metallic w/ pueblo gold at the bottom. Anyways, I was wondering if the following steps and products are correct or if I need to make a change? Also how well will these products work if I apply them by hand, as I'm not sure I will have a PC7424 before this weekend. Thanks in advance

WASH
1. Poorboys Bug Squash for road kill
2. Wesleys Bleache-White for tires
3. Mequiars Gold Class shampoo
DRY
1. Paint foam squeegee
2. MF towel for door jambs, wheels
CLAY
1. Mequiars clay bar kit
2. MF towels to dry
PAINT PREP
1. P21s Paintwork Lotion
2. Poorboys World Polish w/ carnauba (blue)
WAX
1. Poorboys EX-P Sealant
2. Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax (blue)
3. Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Windows
1. Stoners Invisible Glass
Exterior Trim
1. Mothers Back-to-Black
congrats on the Poorboys...the Polish W/Carnuba Blue is for darker cars...and it doesn't have much cut to it. Great stuff, then when you use the EX-P, let it sit for at least 60 min...before removing, let it sit again for another 30-60 min before putting Nattys on. That rig is going to pop like mad.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
congrats on the Poorboys...the Polish W/Carnuba Blue is for darker cars...and it doesn't have much cut to it. Great stuff, then when you use the EX-P, let it sit for at least 60 min...before removing, let it sit again for another 30-60 min before putting Nattys on. That rig is going to pop like mad.

RollingRock... Would that Poorboys Blue be the best option for a Black truck? I am making a list of products I am going to be ordering to give my truck a workout with.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by cvc14
RollingRock... Would that Poorboys Blue be the best option for a Black truck? I am making a list of products I am going to be ordering to give my truck a workout with.
It would be a great option...it would look amazing followed by some EX-P then some Natty's Blue or Red wax? (if you went all PB's.) Topping #21 over PB PWC/blue would look great too. You have to let the #21 set up for longer time...over night prob best.

How does your black look now? Spider webbing? Scratches etc?

You have to get those out too...

On black, I also love to use Optimum Polish. But it does dust a lot. Worth it.

Regardless of those two, or three if you count Megs #80 I think you can get a ton of pop from putting EX-P on top of that. Let it sit for awhile then wax over it.

EDIT: you said "best option" actually there is no best option but there are lots of options for black. The real best option is the one that looks the best to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I wish I had the time to do this to my truck. Would make it look soooooooooooooo good IMO

Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jditta
I wish I had the time to do this to my truck. Would make it look soooooooooooooo good IMO
Now come on...you gotta make time for you baby. Seriously, you need to really only do a major job once and awhile...maybe 2-3 times per year. After that you just maintain what you do along they way.

For us OCD'ers I redo mine often, like every 2-3 months as I get new products to try and or need to b/c I use my truck for hunting, pulling our 5er etc. If it sat in the garage all year, I wouldn't polish it that often.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Now come on...you gotta make time for you baby. Seriously, you need to really only do a major job once and awhile...maybe 2-3 times per year. After that you just maintain what you do along they way.

For us OCD'ers I redo mine often, like every 2-3 months as I get new products to try and or need to b/c I use my truck for hunting, pulling our 5er etc. If it sat in the garage all year, I wouldn't polish it that often.
It's difficult to find time when I'm in college full time and work full time and have to keep the female happy. I find verry little time for myself and my baby

Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
It would be a great option...it would look amazing followed by some EX-P then some Natty's Blue or Red wax? (if you went all PB's.) Topping #21 over PB PWC/blue would look great too. You have to let the #21 set up for longer time...over night prob best.

How does your black look now? Spider webbing? Scratches etc?

You have to get those out too...

On black, I also love to use Optimum Polish. But it does dust a lot. Worth it.

Regardless of those two, or three if you count Megs #80 I think you can get a ton of pop from putting EX-P on top of that. Let it sit for awhile then wax over it.

EDIT: you said "best option" actually there is no best option but there are lots of options for black. The real best option is the one that looks the best to you.
My truck is not in your trucks class in how it looks now but far from really bad. I do have some scratches since i do use the truck for my side construction work but it is mostly swirls and loss of smoothness due to being outside all the time and being close to a year since I last waxed it. I use to be on top of the truck before buying this new house and the wife being pregant. Got to get the house finished for the little one. Next plan depending on money is over sized 2 car garage in the spring.

I will be ordering i think the PC7424 soon and I already read through the sticky and a lot of the post on here and put together a list of products and which pads to use with them. Right now I am looking at wash, clay, a pass or 2 of #80....
I have not figured out where to go next yet. Maybe I will look into the Poorboys and or the Optimum Polish. Where can I get either of these products?

This is how the truck use to look. :o No recent pictures of it but I will try this weekend.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...2519&anum=9913
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...2530&anum=9913
I am sure with the boards help I will have my truck looking better then it has in the past.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by cvc14
My truck is not in your trucks class in how it looks now but far from really bad. I do have some scratches since i do use the truck for my side construction work but it is mostly swirls and loss of smoothness due to being outside all the time and being close to a year since I last waxed it. I use to be on top of the truck before buying this new house and the wife being pregant. Got to get the house finished for the little one. Next plan depending on money is over sized 2 car garage in the spring.

I will be ordering i think the PC7424 soon and I already read through the sticky and a lot of the post on here and put together a list of products and which pads to use with them. Right now I am looking at wash, clay, a pass or 2 of #80....
I have not figured out where to go next yet. Maybe I will look into the Poorboys and or the Optimum Polish. Where can I get either of these products?

This is how the truck use to look. :o No recent pictures of it but I will try this weekend.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...2519&anum=9913
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...2530&anum=9913
I am sure with the boards help I will have my truck looking better then it has in the past.
Seems you are on the way.

you'll also find that you will swap out products until you find something you really understand and like to use. I happen to know PB's pretty well, it's predictable to me so I know what I am getting. I feel good about Megs products too, as well as Optimum. I don't discuss products that I haven't tried. I know that my experience is limited and if you really want to know, ask Gip or RockPick. Honestly I was just a weekend detailer, doing everything by hand until I came to this forum. After a ton of reading and lots of question to Brad, I went off on the deep end. Way deep. My wife thinks I have an addiction, true.

Why did I say all that? Oh yeah, b/c I was going to suggest saving you a little money on pads for your DA. I liked the Megs pads just fine until I saw and used the Lake Country Pads. Those are my standards. I keep the Megs around for back up and certain things but 95% of the time i use the Lakes. I spent a lot of money on the Megs and was eating them up. The Lakes seem to hold up better. Of course, opinions will vary on this topic, I know that RockPick loves Megs pads...its a personal choice as they are both good. I just prefer Lakes.

What the heck was I talking about......

Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I am going to check out those Lake Country Pads also... Thanks

Quick Reply: First Detail Job - Just Checking Too Be Sure I'm Correct