Question about ADS packages.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about ADS packages.

My truck ha been very neglected over the years. oxidation, scratches, swirlmarks, you name it. So i'm thinking that buffing it is going to be the only way to bring back any shine.

I see that Poorboy's is highly recommended by lots of members here, but the PC packages on ADS are kind of tempting. would i be better off buying Package 2 off ADS or Package 1 and getting the Poorboys products. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM
great question... I am researching products now and those packages from ADS are very temping..

Sitting back and waiting for answers

Old 10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
My truck ha been very neglected over the years. oxidation, scratches, swirlmarks, you name it. So i'm thinking that buffing it is going to be the only way to bring back any shine.

I see that Poorboy's is highly recommended by lots of members here, but the PC packages on ADS are kind of tempting. would i be better off buying Package 2 off ADS or Package 1 and getting the Poorboys products. Thanks for the opinions.
I am prob one of the most guilty of the Poorboys products. I love them, but I also like Megs.

The packages are great deals....but like anything you may not like your toothpaste so you try something different right? Same with polishes and wax's. But you have to start somewhere. It won't be long until you find what you like. But also note that there isn't "the best" of them all out there...colors, condition, time all play factors in what products I use.

Mixing products isn't a bad idea either. I do it all the time.

I didn't get a kit, I bought what I thought I needed and now I buy what I know I need. It can be costly no matter what path you take...its a hobby for me, therapy if you will...OCD...sure. A lot of it for me is pure pride. I like my stuff to look taken care of.

Net is, there are a ton of great products out there...at this level its hard to go wrong.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Just for clarification, Meg's is Meguiar's right?

I've used Meguiar's stuff before on cars that i had time to take care of. I liked the results, but since i've heard of other products, I'd like to give them a whirl. Poorboys sounds interesting, and Zaino too. I haven't been able to find out if Zaino is purely a polish, or if it protects as well. Any info? A lot of people a zaino fan boys and i've read that other users have gotten similar results with other products by using the application method that zaino recommends.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Polish is for shine and depth of color only...but as far as i know polish offers zero protection...use a sealant for that after the polish...i like poorboy's exp sealant..or if you cant get that..try meguiar's NXT synthetic wax...then top with carnauba for more shine

Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ADS kits are great deals... no one will really have any basis to say that they're not. As such, it's a very safe way to go to get on the ground running with a nice array of products with everything you need to do a professional-quality detail in your own driveway.

That said, there are OODLES of other great products out there that can yield similar results.

To 90% of the folks out there, one vehicle, shined up, will look the same as the next vehicle, shined up. Vehicle one may have Jumbo's Extras Special Virgin Olive Oil slathered on it whereas the next may have a $100 carnauba-based wax as the last step.

Point is, some folks may not be able to tell the difference between short cutting and absolution.

My suggestion -- get the ADS kit. Tinker with the products that are in the kit and learn how to use them as they are very similar to products made by other retailers and you use the other products (Poorboys, etc) in the same fashion - for the most part.

If you find a product within the array of products that you get with the kit that you're not particularly fond of, I'd hunt for an alternative either in the Meg's line or elsewhere. Experimentation isn't a problem and, as RR mentioned, actually can help set you apart and make you, as the ultimate judge of your vehicle, happy.

-RP-

Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Moderator &

Just for clarification, Meg's is Meguiar's right?

I've used Meguiar's stuff before on cars that i had time to take care of. I liked the results, but since i've heard of other products, I'd like to give them a whirl. Poorboys sounds interesting, and Zaino too. I haven't been able to find out if Zaino is purely a polish, or if it protects as well. Any info? A lot of people a zaino fan boys and i've read that other users have gotten similar results with other products by using the application method that zaino recommends.
Yep. Meg's = Meguiar's

While Z has a polishing step, they also offer a protection step (and an all-in-one product as well).

Z makes great stuff -- highly respected -- I'm just not particularly fond of the 'system' and the time involved with said system. I'm not sold that the protection is light years beyond other systems on the market like many claim. There are studies out there that say that it's the best stuff on the earth since water but, there are also oodles of 'us' that just think it's another product to choose from... Like most synthetics, I think it yields a HIGH gloss shine that really doesn't have any depth what so ever on dark paint... the durability is pretty darn good but, above and beyond others? ehh, tough to say.

I like it. Own it and rarely use it.

The bottom line is to give it a whirl (kind of expensive to experiment with), see if you like it, and, if you do, go with it regularly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Moderator &

Be reminded that the G-100 is being discontinued and will be replaced with the G-110 soon. My personal opinion is that the G-100 looks like a nicer tool but, I haven't had my hands on a G-110 -- yet.

It just looks 'el-cheapo' to me...

Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
so is #2 a good jumping off point for a much needed detail, or should i look higher? keep in mind this is a 10 year old truck that has been neglected for the last 3 years. only occasional washings. paint isn't falling off, but there's definately some oxidation and minor scratches. claying is a must, but i can get that locally.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Be reminded that the G-100 is being discontinued and will be replaced with the G-110 soon. My personal opinion is that the G-100 looks like a nicer tool but, I haven't had my hands on a G-110 -- yet.

It just looks 'el-cheapo' to me...

I got that email from Megs with this info...same as you, looks terrible. I'll stick to the old ones.

Ryan is supposed to come my spare to use....anywho

cheers

Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I think the new polisher by Megs was created to compete with the new Ultimate Detailing Machine. It is very similar to the PC but it doesn't have the vibration and has a lot more power. I've been thinking about getting one by I already own a PC, Cyclo, and Hitachi.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Juztang
I think the new polisher by Megs was created to compete with the new Ultimate Detailing Machine. It is very similar to the PC but it doesn't have the vibration and has a lot more power. I've been thinking about getting one by I already own a PC, Cyclo, and Hitachi.
Agreed on all points... but, I'm still a bit worried about the device. It may proove me totally wrong but, they had a nice corner on the market with the G-100 and I think they're messing with a tried and true thing. Meg's is a company that likes to stay on the cutting edge (for the most part) but, they've screwed the pooch with SEVERAL recent moves in the A-Line as well as some of the G-line products (the new stuff and new packaging changes/product lines).

I hope this isn't another goof because, as I understand it, they're no longer going to support the G-100 (however, will honor warranty claims with the new G-110.).

-RP-

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Moderator &

so is #2 a good jumping off point for a much needed detail, or should i look higher? keep in mind this is a 10 year old truck that has been neglected for the last 3 years. only occasional washings. paint isn't falling off, but there's definately some oxidation and minor scratches. claying is a must, but i can get that locally.
In my honest opinion, the #2 kit is pretty good.

Based on your description, you're still going to have a rough time bringing her back -- do not expect miracles. I know that's a 'downer' of a statement but, if it's as bad as you paint it to be verbally, then the PC will still have a very formable challenge ahead of it -- even with the best products from what ever company.

I would definitely add another POLISHING (yellow) pad or two to your order. Additionally, I always recommend snaring another FINISHING (tan) pad or two as well.

Be sure to mention that the fine folks at f150online.com sent you! I've been working on Rick to do a tad of advertising or, at least, participate on occasion here.

-RP-

Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Ryan is supposed to come my spare to use....anywho

cheers
Hmmm... I never got that email from Megs... Time to get back on the list...

Anyway, this weekend is busy, but next weekend...Mwa ha ha... I CAN FINALLY PLAY DETAILER!!! I have been looking forward to this for a while. Are you busy? If not, we may have to tag team it. (Send me an email-- I will explain...)

Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

Tag team, eh? You weirdos.

I've got a 2000 Mercury Sable in the driveway for tomorrow's detail. Not real exciting but the interior is a wreck. I will probably do a few before and afters of the interior... it's bad.... did I mention it was bad?

The paint, at a glance, doesn't need too much other than the standard hits. A few scratches that I'll work on individually but, nothing unusual... should be mundane on the exterior. Did I mention the interior was a wreck? It's bad!

Quick Reply: Question about ADS packages.