how to remove minor scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to remove minor scratches

From my E350 super wagon. It's picked up quite a few thin scrates from who knows where. Nice cherry red metalic paint too. Ive never done compounding and am afraid of taking off the clear coat or going through the paint. I don't want to end up with dull swirly spots in the middle of a nice paint job.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by waterman308
From my E350 super wagon. It's picked up quite a few thin scrates from who knows where. Nice cherry red metalic paint too. Ive never done compounding and am afraid of taking off the clear coat or going through the paint. I don't want to end up with dull swirly spots in the middle of a nice paint job.

Any guidance is appreciated.
There are many paths to fix this...it would help to see some photos.

What kinds of products do you have on hand?

Do you have a polisher or will you be doing this by hand?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I will post some pics. As to products, none. I have "0" experience w/this type of stuff. I do better with wrenches and hammers, which, as everyone knows, are interchangeble tools.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HAHA! Understood, waterman!

Some additional advice...

Assess your scratches with the fingernail trick that I mentioned above. Let us know the depth of the scratches (can feel or cannot feel). This may influence which route on the scratch removers / scratch fillers that we suggest. Let us know! G'luck.

Oh yeah... bring lots of patience to this problem. It won't happen (the fix) without a little elbow grease and lots of patience. The aforementioned wrench and hammer won't help. HAHA!

-RP-

Quick Reply: how to remove minor scratches