Tire Wet that repels brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Wet that repels brake dust

Everytime i put some tire wet onto my wheels the brake dust sticks to it like a magnet and it makes the tire looks like crap literally. Anyone know of any tire wet that the brake dust will not stick to?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by MuXir
Everytime i put some tire wet onto my wheels the brake dust sticks to it like a magnet and it makes the tire looks like crap literally. Anyone know of any tire wet that the brake dust will not stick to?
What are you using now?

Brake dust really doesn't come in to play with my tires, road grime, dust, etc gets on mine. Properly cleaning your tires before applying dressing is important otherwise you are just shining up dirt on dirt.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Im using some Ardex product i got from a dealer. Even if i do clean and scrub so they are like new once i apply and drive they look dirty and nasty

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Im using some Ardex product i got from a dealer. Even if i do clean and scrub so they are like new once i apply and drive they look dirty and nasty
Not familiar with their products but I just checked them out on the web.

Not to be an **** but how often are you cleaning your wheels and tires? I see F150's every day with the brown front wheels...no telling how long those go before they are washed.

Like most here, I have used most of the OTC tire dressings. But after using Megs APC+ on the wheels and tires on EVERY wash, it make using Hyperdressing much easier. To be honest, brake dust has never been a problem for my cars b/c I do this way.

My .02, I would try something else.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I will concur with RR here.

Use Simple green or any good APC plus a stiff nylon brush to clean your tires at EVERY wash. (If you are washing < 4x per year, I might go ahead and advise Westleys with EXTREME caution-- search on it. Useful for really bad tires, not good for the every time)

THEN-- use almost ay dressing. Apparently, the Ardex stuff you are using sucks, so switch. I have found the following to be true, with MY tires and MY brakes, so it may be different for you:

Natural Shine: Cant say-- I applied yesterday, it rained today. I dont think it would attract too much dust, but on the same token, it is a bit greasy...RP?

Hot Shine Gel: Very shiny, attracts dust and dirt, but you cant see brake dust very well. I dont know why.

Endurance Gloss: See Hot Shine Gel. Both last FOREVER.

Armorall cheap spray crap: shiny for day one, but then it resorts to a matte finish. (Anyone else notice that the newer stuff goes on a LOT like Hyperdressing in the way it beads up and such??? Unfortunately, it doesnt perform the same). Does not attract dust.

Those are all I have used...

Hyperdressing is always the #1 choice. It is SO versatile, looks great, anti-dust (or mud, as RR proved), and it is pretty darn cheap considering what you get. My reccommendation is here.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
well i have aftermarket 20" chrome rims with toyo proxies i wash my rims at least 2 times a week and i wipe them with a 100% cotton t-shirt once maybe twice a day. Got to keep them sparkling lol idk the brake dust isnt an issue on the actual rim itself its just when i apply the tire wet it sticks like crazy to the actual tire

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
well i have aftermarket 20" chrome rims with toyo proxies i wash my rims at least 2 times a week and i wipe them with a 100% cotton t-shirt once maybe twice a day. Got to keep them sparkling lol idk the brake dust isnt an issue on the actual rim itself its just when i apply the tire wet it sticks like crazy to the actual tire
Yeah-- thats what we mean. Yes, you actually have to scrub the TIRE itself.

Are you doing that now?

Rims are a whole 'nuther topic...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
For cleaning the tires themselves I like using Eagle One's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Once you spray it one you can see it turn brown from all the grime and old tire dressing. If the tire is really bad then I'll use Westley's Bleach White but that's mostly for getting the white lettering clean.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I will concur with RR here.

Use Simple green or any good APC plus a stiff nylon brush to clean your tires at EVERY wash. (If you are washing < 4x per year, I might go ahead and advise Westleys with EXTREME caution-- search on it. Useful for really bad tires, not good for the every time)
Even for really bad tires, there's better ways to do it (ie: more concentrated SG).

Also, I think you meant any good 'APC with a stiff nylon...', right? APC+ is typically more of an interior product as the 'PLUS' is typically indicative of a fabric softening component.

Natural Shine: Cant say-- I applied yesterday, it rained today. I dont think it would attract too much dust, but on the same token, it is a bit greasy...RP?
While it says you can on the bottle, I wouldn't use it on tires as it's lousy at best IMO. It does yield a 'natural' looking shine (low gloss) but, it's a super-duper dust attractant in my experience. For the same reason, I rarely use it on an interior.

Hot Shine Gel: Very shiny, attracts dust and dirt, but you cant see brake dust very well. I dont know why.

Endurance Gloss: See Hot Shine Gel. Both last FOREVER.[/quote]

The kicker with Hot Shine / Endurance - and this is a little known and unpublished factoid -- is that Meg's taps in a tiny amount of their Engineered Synthetic Polymers. This helps keep the dust down (at least in the new formulations). The trick with this product that I've found to be extremely useful - especially on white lettered tires - is to wipe them down lightly each day. This restores the gloss, pulls much of the dust off of the tire, and gets it looking pretty good again. I like this product quite a bit but my favorite is still Hyper Dressing (in fact, my favorite product that Meguiar's makes).

Armorall cheap spray crap: shiny for day one, but then it resorts to a matte finish. (Anyone else notice that the newer stuff goes on a LOT like Hyperdressing in the way it beads up and such??? Unfortunately, it doesnt perform the same). Does not attract dust.
I have to respectfully disagree on the dust attractant properties. It's been my experience that the new Armor All is pretty darn attractive to anything that the road bears. Maybe I've had a bad bottle? (yes, I've used it on a tire or two to get rid of it - I admit it)

Hyperdressing is always the #1 choice. It is SO versatile, looks great, anti-dust (or mud, as RR proved), and it is pretty darn cheap considering what you get. My reccommendation is here.
While Hypderdressing is, indeed, a fantastic product, I'd fall short of calling it 'anti-dust'. I mean, it's not repelling dust (much in the way that the FK1 folks claim that many of their 'Anti-Static' products are supposed to work (#425 included)) from sticking to the tire. While I would concur that 'less' seems to attract to it over the Eagle One Tire Wets and Endurance Products (gel) out there, it's not perfect.

With HD, I'm still going through the routine of wiping the tires down each day when I'm using it on my personal vehicles. This, to me, yields a nice white letter (which I think looks good on a shiny black tire) and keeps the tire with a little bit of pop (even a reflective pop to a certain extent).

I've tried a few of PRO's dressings (god, they make like 50 of them), all of Meguiar's stuff, most anything that you can buy at a 'mart' store, Poorboy's stuff, and oodles and oodles of other dressings but, I can't compare them to the Ardex goodies.

What I do know is that Ardex primarily vends to dealerships and large-volume detailers/car washes. It's been my experience that companies that focus in on the 'volume' locations tend to often focus on 'out the door' look versus long-term durability and look (this is true for many waxes, leather cleaners/conditioners, and other products as well). While nearly all manufacturers make a 'volume' line (even selling some in 55-gallon drums!), not all are bad.

In a nutshell, it sounds like it may be time for a quick switch to another product or two. Even better, it sounds as though a good 'come through' product for you (like Endurance maybe) is readily available and fairly inexpensive. The good part -- you can try them out and, if you don't like them, you're only out <$5'ish. The bad part -- you end up with another bottle of 'stuff' on the shelf (and you should see my shelves).

-RP-

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Also, I think you meant any good 'APC with a stiff nylon...', right? APC+ is typically more of an interior product as the 'PLUS' is typically indicative of a fabric softening component.
I don't think I ever looked at the the Gallon bottle that said it was designed for interiors. I mainly use as an exterior cleaner.

I checked the bottle,

"This true all surface cleaner is ideally suited for today's fast paced, high volume, detail operations where one simple solution is needed for a wide variety of cleaning needs. It provides mixtures for heavy cleaning of engines and tires, fast interior cleaning, as well as a low foam ratio for use in carpet and upholstery extraction machines. Leaves carpet clean, smelling pleasant, and the fibers soft with no sticky residue."

Guess it goes to show you how versatile this stuff is as its one of the best tire and engine cleaners I have used.

I guess I will have to pick up another gallon of APC+ and APC.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM

The kicker with Hot Shine / Endurance - and this is a little known and unpublished factoid -- is that Meg's taps in a tiny amount of their Engineered Synthetic Polymers. This helps keep the dust down (at least in the new formulations). The trick with this product that I've found to be extremely useful - especially on white lettered tires - is to wipe them down lightly each day. This restores the gloss, pulls much of the dust off of the tire, and gets it looking pretty good again. I like this product quite a bit but my favorite is still Hyper Dressing (in fact, my favorite product that Meguiar's makes).

-RP-
That little tip works great.

For the original poster here's what Megs Hot Shine Gel looks like.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by RollingRock
"This true all surface cleaner is ideally suited for today's fast paced, high volume, detail operations where one simple solution is needed for a wide variety of cleaning needs. It provides mixtures for heavy cleaning of engines and tires, fast interior cleaning, as well as a low foam ratio for use in carpet and upholstery extraction machines. Leaves carpet clean, smelling pleasant, and the fibers soft with no sticky residue."
Thanks for that...

Interesting spin that Meg's has put on that product. In a nutshell, they formerly touted the APC+ (D-103) as an 'interior only' type of product; especially because they sell a APC (D-101) product. Sometimes I should stop trying to figure them out, I suppose.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm curious as to why you guys always dish on Westley's.

I've been using the stuff for 20 years now at almost every wash. Factory wheels, chrome aftermarket, raw aluminum, raw polished aluminum, you name it. Never, ever had a single problem with it.. let alone the doom and gloom that gets touted around here.

You shouldn't get stupid with the stuff and hose your wheels down (although I have purposely) or your fenders but if you apply it solely to the tire, scrub then immediately rinse thoroughly... nobody should ever have a problem with it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Even for really bad tires, there's better ways to do it (ie: more concentrated SG).
And where can I get ahold of this??? (as if I can afford it anyways...HA! Maybe next year)

Well, I should have rephrased. I meant APC and/in addition to/with a nylon brush. My bad-- After you pointed that out, I realized how easy it would be to mistake that.

While it says you can on the bottle, I wouldn't use it on tires as it's lousy at best IMO. It does yield a 'natural' looking shine (low gloss) but, it's a super-duper dust attractant in my experience. For the same reason, I rarely use it on an interior.
Well, again, I didnt see its performance because it rained ...As for the interiors, I will continue to use it so far... I like it. Same for exterior trim. I know, I know, I am the only one that thinks its great stuff, but I havent noticed any dust problems yet. Maybe it has to do with whats in the air around you...Any takers?

Didn't know that... good tip. (but yes-- I did know HD was your favorite Megs product out there...)

I have to respectfully disagree on the dust attractant properties. It's been my experience that the new Armor All is pretty darn attractive to anything that the road bears. Maybe I've had a bad bottle? (yes, I've used it on a tire or two to get rid of it - I admit it)
Perhaps it has to do with my daily commute of .5 miles each way and the occasional longer trip... Also, I didnt get to have a good test of this-- after about 3 days, I ended up in mud... Also, I got the bottle for free, so the fact that I didnt pay for it may have influenced the wow factor...HOWEVER--- maybe this is in the same boat as Natural Shine. Is there something that makes this region particulatly low in particulates suspended in air??? I would think the opposite-- I am in a train town with all sorts of chemical factories, grain silos (the largest in the USA, supposedly), and semi trucks... I figured fallout and crap in the air would be horrible. Plus, every day there is a HUGE amount of dust that settles overnight on the truck. The windshield and paint are TOTALLY covered every day. So, maybe its just that the rest of the truck looks so horrible...I dunno...

While Hypderdressing is, indeed, a fantastic product, I'd fall short of calling it 'anti-dust'. I mean, it's not repelling dust (much in the way that the FK1 folks claim that many of their 'Anti-Static' products are supposed to work (#425 included)) from sticking to the tire. While I would concur that 'less' seems to attract to it over the Eagle One Tire Wets and Endurance Products (gel) out there, it's not perfect.
Well...Its certainly a darned good one! Regarless of whether or not it is perfect, it does more than what I expected it to... Part of this has to do with the vast difference in knowledge about how each chemical interacts with its surroundings... Remember, you used to work for MOL...

With HD, I'm still going through the routine of wiping the tires down each day when I'm using it on my personal vehicles. This, to me, yields a nice white letter (which I think looks good on a shiny black tire) and keeps the tire with a little bit of pop (even a reflective pop to a certain extent).
Again, good tip. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
And where can I get ahold of this??? (as if I can afford it anyways...HA! Maybe next year)
More concentrated Simple Green?

Well, I should have rephrased. I meant APC and/in addition to/with a nylon brush. My bad-- After you pointed that out, I realized how easy it would be to mistake that.
I thought so... just wanted to make sure. Meg's goofy product line...

Well, again, I didnt see its performance because it rained ...As for the interiors, I will continue to use it so far... I like it. Same for exterior trim. I know, I know, I am the only one that thinks its great stuff, but I havent noticed any dust problems yet. Maybe it has to do with whats in the air around you...Any takers?
I do *alot* of air permitting work/compliance related stuff. Our air sucks, in a nutshell.

Didn't know that... good tip. (but yes-- I did know HD was your favorite Megs product out there...)
Toss the loyality out the window. I don't think I was supposed to disclose that fact. *shrugs* I'm not a Meg's employee -- never was, really. (just a simple moderator with an inside track). I was, however, told that by a Meg's employee that is fairly high on the pecking order.

Quick Reply: Tire Wet that repels brake dust